“fantastic experience”

Steung Siemreap Thmey Hotel
Ranked #95 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed January 24, 2008

We stayed here for a week earlier this month and had a fantastic experience. The location couldn't have been better, about 1 1/2 blocks from the city center on a side street that was quiet and a world away once we were in our room. The hotel consists of two french colonial style buildings facing each other from across the street. A very pretty, well maintained hotel with a nice pool area. The room was lovely, spacious and tasteful and we even had three balconies to ourselves! Very reasonable mid-ranged price. Due to location no need for tuk tuks or taxis unless going out to the temple sites. Breakfast was good and we enjoyed having our coffee by the poolside each morning. I would definately stay here again and actually wouldn't consider staying anywhere else when at Siem Reap. Highly recomended!

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank katblue

Reviewed January 3, 2008

I was thrilled with this hotel, and agree with the recent reviews posted here. The rooms are reasonably priced and just gorgeous: dark wood, granite, marble, mini-bar, bathrobes, satellite TV. Didn't use the pool but it looked lovely. The location, as others have mentioned, can't be beat, and I'd much prefer to stay here as opposed to more expensive accommodation out of town. It's great to be able to take a 1-minute walk to loads of shops, restaurants and pubs, without having to worry about haggling for a tuk tuk.

I got a good first impression of the staff competency level here, but that quickly turned around upon arrival. When I booked the hotel they arranged a guide and very nice car with A/C at a good price, so I was happy with their responsiveness. However, be prepared for a long wait at check-in. We actually had to wait at reception twice, once upon arrival in the morning, to fill in particulars; and then again in the afternoon, for reception to sort out the room keys. One would think they'd have the room keys ready, seeing as we had already checked in hours before?

Later that night, we asked the front desk staff to make a dinner reservation for us at a well-known local restaurant. They refused. This has never happened to me before. A man at the front desk said, "If you have the number you can call yourself." After explaining to him I did not have the restaurant's number nor a phone book, he still refused to help. I wound up having to go to their business center (with a terribly slow connection), look up the phone number online myself with considerable difficulty, and call from the room (which cost us $2).

That odd incident aside, I would fully recommend this hotel. Just be prepared to fend for yourself!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled with friends
3  Thank Yank-In-Sing
Reviewed December 9, 2007

We were not sure what to expect, despite the generally good reviews on TripAdvisor. However, we were delighted with this hotel. The best thing about it was the location, right in the middle of all the action. Short walking distance to the Old Market, the Night Market, the pub street, the restaurant street, etc. Yet it was reasonably quiet. The rooms were huge and there was a huge breakfast buffet. Bottled water was supplied. Internet access was available in the business center. The hotel is in the old French Colonial style.

Tips: We used the English speaking driver recommended elsewhere in TripAdvisor. He is Mr. You Phan. He is terrific and highly recommended. His telephone number is [--] and his email address is [--]. We also used an official guide recommended by Phan, by the name of Mony. Phan can put you in touch with him. He is knowledgable but kind of a soft-talker, so you really have to pay attention. He won't talk about anything political.

Further tip: Insist on a visit to Beng Mealea, which is about an hour from Angkor Wat. Agree in advance how much extra this will cost. Beng Mealea is still in an unrestored condition and overrun by "jungle" (really forest). There were very few tourists there when we were there. It feels like the way the others must have been discovered. You can climb and explore and is a great comparison to the restored temples in the more travelled areas.

• Stayed: November 2007
5  Thank Roger B
Reviewed November 2, 2007

we stayed here for several nights in August 2007. The place is fantastic.The staff is excellent, can speak English well, and are more than happy to help you get you where you need to go. The hotel rooms are sizeable and comfortable.

Stayed: August 2007
2  Thank wirot1971
Reviewed October 22, 2007

Steung is a great place to stay. To tell the truth, I was a bit apprehensive when I was looking at the hotel's pictures. Though I still think they could have improved on the reception area, they did well on the rooms. There rooms were much more than what I have expected. Everything was provided for. The staffs were attentive and polite. I had a little problem about the plumbing and they came to fix it within 10mins!

The rooms were made from beautiful polished wood and they have a charming balcony with wrought iron and big glass window. The location is great. It is just 2 mins walk away from the pub street where you can find all the restaurants. They serve a variety of buffet breakfast which you will find in most hotel in asia but i believe after the 3day, you may be abit bored with the offerings.

My parents and I had a wonderful time staying there and will definately stay there again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank evalz
Reviewed September 26, 2007

After a month of SE Asia travel, I ended my trip with four nights here. Incredibly comfortable, large clean room, large clean bathroom, TV with several channels to choose from in English (as well as many other languages), coffee/tee and hot water pot, refrigerator, complimentary bottled water each day. Service was terrific - warm, friendly. Breakfast is included and very good, breakfast room very comfortable. Pool is very clean and pretty. Location is just on the edge of the Old Market area, perfect because the just outside the hotel it is very quiet, and you only need to walk 1 block to be in the heart of the Old Market, shops, restaurants. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: September 2007
10  Thank Sarebearl
Reviewed August 8, 2007

Eventhough I chose this hotel based on reviews from this TripAdvisor site, I was still abit doubtful when I am going into the hotel. The front entrance of the hotel and lobby was not very grand simply because the size of the hotel was not as great as many other hotels I saw on the way from airport during my arrival. But after checking into the room, I realised the space was rather big and adequate, with all the standard amenities available that you would expect for a 4-5 star hotel. Toilet looked clean and spacious, with no smell (as some older hotels I've been have some musky-smelled toilets even if its 5-star rated). Nice balcony overlooking the street. I think the best compliment this hotel shall get is that the location was perfect! You simply dont really need transport for going out shopping and eating because the popular "European Street" where all the fance restaurants are is just a street away from the hotel. There are also the Old Market where you can purchase souviniers and other goods for your visit just behind the hotel. So simply saying, you really dont need to worry about transportation. The only down side I can say about this hotel is that it is separated into 2 blocks, in which I was staying in the block opposite and have to cross the street every morning for breakfast and when I go swimming as well.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple