“Perfect if you're a backpacker...”

The Villa Siem Reap
Ranked #87 of 356 Hotels in Siem Reap
Manila, Philippines
“Perfect if you're a backpacker...”
Reviewed January 24, 2013

...but can be lacking if you're past that stage. We only booked The Villa for 1 night as we were leaving for Phnom Penh early the next day. I chose the hotel as it was very affordable and somewhat close to the airport (where our flight arrived at night). The lone receptionist was lovely and welcoming despite the late hour but when asked what happened to the hotel pick up service I booked through Hotels.com, he (with a slap to the forehead) said, "oh no! I forgot, I did receive an email today about that." Then he proceeded to apologise to the heavens and offered us a free cab ride, etc the next day. As he was so apologetic, we forgot about it.

The room itself was ok- clean with a nice window view but the ceiling had cracks, the bed was hard with sad pillows, and the bathroom was a little dark. Something we also weren't used to was the shoes-off policy of the hotel. Know that you're to leave your shoes in a low shelf by the reception door. Breakfast the next day was quite good and the coffee was perfect. Our breakfast was so filling it lasted us the 6 hour car ride to Phnom Penh! The staff were also very helpful. Despite us staying at another Siem Reap hotel upon our return, they were still professional and helped me translate. All in all, it was a pleasant 12 hour stay - Lovely staff, good location if you want to be in the center of town - Pub street and the markets are all one tuk tuk ride away, and decent basic accommodation.

Room Tip: If you've got heavy bags, choose a room closer to the ground as there is no elevator and due to...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kat33

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Leuven, Belgium
Reviewed January 23, 2013 via mobile

I stayed in the villa Siem reap in december 2012. The guest house has a very good location if you want to stay close to the night market and pub street but not too close so you can sleep in peace : -). The room was quite big and everything was clean. They also have a restaurant where you can eat in case you don't want to go into town. I ate there once and really enjoyed it. But the most important reason to stay here is the friendly staff. Everyone was soooo nice and helpful. Don't spend your money on an expensive guided tour to visit the tempels but rent one of their drivers for 15$ a day. They know a lot about the history and the background of the tempels as well. And you can do everything in your own pace. To recommend!

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Rochester, NY
Reviewed January 21, 2013

The location is good, easy walk to all the markets but not on the main drag.
The lobby is nice, the patio restaurant has a nice setting and food is okay.
The rooms were typical for a guesthouse. Hair in the shower and a dirty footprint on the bath mat the first day, clean the second.

The bad: They lost a reservation made by my friend on their own website. She had printed proof and they didn't honor it. They did honor my Agoda reservation, but you get a better room if you book through them (if they don't lose it).

There was some sort of ceremony on the street so we woke up at 5:30 am to LOUD music and then LOUD chanting for most of the day (it was over speakers) so that was a huge drag but not really the hotel's fault. I just note it because it might have colored my feelings about the place a bit.

Overall, pretty good for what we paid ($25).

Room Tip: They all seemed pretty comparable.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank amymeri
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We booked The Villa Siem Reap via Agoda. We arrived at the hotel to be met by 5 staff in the entrance and were told they had overbooked. They had organized other accommodation for us but we found out from our tuk tuk driver that this was 20mins out of town. They told us they had tried everything close by and there was nothing available. We ended up staying on the same st one hundred meters down at the wooden ankhor hotel which I would reccomend.

It took a long time to organize a refund as we didn't want to stay so far out of town and we were only given a partial refund due to agodas fees.

Overall I'm sure most of the time they are fine but didn't need this after a 6hr bus ride.

Stayed January 2013
3 Thank Triscotty
Irvine, California
Reviewed January 16, 2013

We got lucky and were able to get the bungalow (gorgeous, spacious, newly constructed room) for only $40/night. It is equivalent to a deluxe room in any other hotel, that would have normally charged $90+. The going rate is typically $80, however, the room we requested was booked so we got lucky with a 50% discount...I cant complain. I can't speak the same out their regular room, however, they are very average. I would book the bungalow room. Two things they need to improve is the water power of the showerhead. It is drippy and not much power. Also, there is no wifi in the new bungalow room, so hopefuly, they can fix that by the time you book a room there (it is a new building). The staff waited on thier hands and knees for us, outstanding service. However, prices were closer to what we pay in the US, but that seemed to be the case anywhere you go in Siem Reap. The receptionist, Mr. Pauly (I might have gotten his name spelled wrong) was outstanding, and so was our driver Mr. Loeun. The drivers will take you anywhere you want and wait with you all day for $18. Keep in mind that the drivers make most of their money past 6pm, when they get to keep all the money from the fares (approx $5 for any roundtrip to any part of the city). Thanks Villa Siem Reap for an excellent stay!

Room Tip: Pick the bungalow!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank ChristinaHwang
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Overall, this property is okay but my guess is that you can find better for these prices.

We started off on the wrong foot. Upon arrival, the room type we requested (two twin beds) was not available as the room had issues with hot water. Therefore, we had no choice but to take a room with one double bed. That said, we found that this room did not have hot water either!

The following day, they moved us to a room with two twin beds. This room was a much better space although both were the space price. The room was fine - decent size, a little noise (but not too bad) and it was clean. Bathroom was fine, although the water was luke warm. The wifi worked great on all floors.

We only ate at the restaurant one day for breakfast - pineapple pancakes were delicious, but the service was extremely slow (not ideal when you are keen to get out early and visit the temples!)

The other thing that left a sour taste for us was the pricing. We had originally booked a package that included food and a tuk tuk driver for 3 days. We had emailed the hotel to confirm that the pricing included the temple passes but upon arrival they gave us a different story. Without the temple pass, the cost of the package is more expensive than arranging this ala carte, so we asked to switch, which they agreed to (also the lunches provided in the package were basic sandwiches where for the some price that you pay for that lunch, you can easily eat delicious cambodian food at local restaurants). Then, when we verified costs, we were told airport transfers were still included in the hotel price, and on the last day, they tried to charge us an additional $5 to get back to the airport. I am not sure if they were trying to scam us or if the language barrier was the problem - we tried to speak to the owner about it but he refused to show up (the staff just kept saying they tried to call him but he was busy). Perhaps the solution here is to book prepaid rooms on a site like Expedia and just handle everything else separately.

Note: the hotel tuk tuk drivers are nice and reliable. They are about $3-5 more (per trip) than finding one yourself on the street so just depends if the additional cost is worth avoiding the hassle. More details on Angkor and Siem reap can be found here: http://www.mangopancakes.com/2013/01/three-perfect-days-in-angkor.html

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Greater London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 4, 2013

I liked The Villa and I'd stay here again. There are other places in Siem Reap that are only $10/night more expensive and more comfortable (plusher features, pool, etc), though not necessarily quite as well located.

The location of The Villa is just about unbeatable. It's a block (along a dusty street) from the edge of the central touristy part of town where all the markets, restaurants, shops and bars are.

The staff at The Villa are also unbeatable. I've travelled extensively but never come across such sweet, lovely staff as they were here. I was hit by 'Delhi Belly' while staying here and was quite ill for 24hrs; the staff brought me tea and were very caring. When I left, I gave some of the staff some tiny practical gifts to say thank you (hotel staff in Cambodia only earn around US$60-80/month, so a small practical gift can mean a great deal). Their sincere gratitude was overwhelming, and we were all in tears at the parting.

The rooms are basic, but they're air conditioned, clean and comfortable. I was on the top floor, up two flights of stairs. The tile floors in the room are noisy if someone upstairs or nearby is walking around in hard soled shoes (fortunately most guests removed shoes at the front door, though this wasn't obligatory), cleaning, or dragging a suitcase. There's a big four poster bed with a mosquito net, a TV, bar fridge, and an en suite bathroom. I would have liked to have a wardrobe, but there were places to hang clothes. The building has elegant Khmer furnishings, including in the rooms.

I was there three nights, and my only hesitation about recommending The Villa was that my room was quite noisy. It was on the side closest to Siem Reap town, overlooking a building site, with a busy road just beyond. All the scooters and motor bikes buzzing around, and busy traffic, was noisy. But I suspect the other side of the building is quieter, as will this side be once the building next door finishes.

The restaurant was good, and the staff were especially kind to me when they realised I had an upset tummy. The hotel also offers day tours, one of which I took (despite the upset tummy, which wasn't necessarily the most sensible decision). The tour was excellent, highly recommended.

In summary: I enjoyed my stay here and look forward to going back. I'd recommend The Villa to most people, but older or disabled folk who don't want to negotiate stairs might want to look elsewhere, as might those who are after a bit more luxury.

Room Tip: Ask for a top floor room as they're quieter.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled solo