“Credibility issues?” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #91 of 339 Hotels in Siem Reap
Corona, California
“Credibility issues?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2014

Stayed 5 days from Feb 28th to the 5th. The first day I was a walk in and for 2 rooms they charged me $260. I told them on TA that the rates were only $80 for a deluxe for a total of 160 for 2 nights. The manager told me its too late to book today, so being tired from flying, paid the $260 for standard rooms and the following 3 days the total was $475 on Agoda for deluxe pool views. I wanted change to pay the tuk tuk driver from the airport, was sent to the cashier and she told me to go to the bank next door! I had Cambodian money and she wouldn't give me change, Lucky I had a couple of dollars and they accept US money so don't convert your money. Bring small denomination bills. Breakfast was so so. The orange juice was a powder drink and the coffee was really bad. You can get a good cup of coffee in the Piano Bar downstairs minus the piano for $4.00.
The rooms were nice and the air conditioning worked well. I was there for 5 days and they never changed the linen. What was worse was I pulled on the sheet by accident and there was another color long hair! The staff was cordial and the front desk always seemed confused but they did try. The help did their best but management needs to train and give housekeeping some guidelines. Wifi was terrible as is all through Cambodia, but Seim Reap is still worth visiting, but maybe stay elsewhere. The power goes out a few times a day. That was the only constant!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank ghorita
GM_Prince, General Manager at Prince D'Angkor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear ghorita,

Thank you very much for taking your valued time to leave a comment following your recent stay at Prince D’Angkor Hotel & Spa.

On behalf of The Management of Prince D’Angkor Hotel & Spa I would like to thank for your bringing this matter to our attention and please accept our sincere apology for the inconvenient which caused you during stay with us. We work hard on those issues every day in order to change.

As per policy of the hotel, effectively if you are not reserved you room in advance or if you are not booking your room trough a travel agent you cannot have the price accepted by the travel agent because they are special agreement. You pay the normal price as rated on the board.

For the change in the hotel sometimes the staff does not have for safety reason enough change at the front depending also the time you arrived.

For you linen we made an investigation and we can tell you that your bed linen and towels was change every day.

We highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do and The Hotel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

It is our goal to retain you as a satisfy customer and we hope that we can serve you again in the near future.

Bernard Houppertz – General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Hong Kong, China
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2014

The bad experience started from my arrival of Siem Reap. The airport transfer never happened and after I called, I was being blamed why I was not called in this 2 hours before. Hey!!! How can I do that when I was flying in the flight!!!

The receptionist was rude to me and even her supervisor after I showed the proof my flight details were showed inside the booking.

Room can be only available at 2pm, but while we were returning at 2:30pm, it was still not available. Lucky their manager aware the complaint I made this morning, so I got a by-pass of everything, then we can kicked start our tour 30 minutes late from our original plan.

Their staff loved to check your identify even you showed them your room card, almost I needed to bring along my ID and Passport all around.

No service at all. Hope they can improve on this in future!!!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
5 Thank Colman L
Siem Reap, Cambodia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2014

Had to wait 4 hours to check into room. When we opened the door to our room we found unmade beds, dirty towels, dirty dishes and full ashtrays. Gross! Clearly the room had not been cleaned. Staff was unapologetic, told us the room HAD been cleaned, and kept us waiting for another twenty minutes for another room. That room had a stained bottom sheet, but we were too tired by that point to complain any more. I do not recommend this hotel. Mistakes happen, but good hotel staff work to resolve problems in courteous and timely fashion. Not the case here.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
4 Thank Pat H
Quillan, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

This is a strange review as we didn't actually stay in the hotel! We booked for a 3 night stay with airport transfers. We were met at the airport by the hotel manager in person, who was most apologetic as our room had been mistakenly double booked. We were transferred to an equal grade hotel and given a free evening meal at the Prince. Our new hotel was a sister hotel and extremely good. All of our bookings were met including taxi into town. It is easy for an establishment to make a mistake but in our case the manager went out of his way to put the mistake right. Thank you very much!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Phil R
GM_Prince, General Manager at Prince D'Angkor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 26, 2014
Dear Phil R,

We are so delighted to hear that you had enjoyed with the hospitality at our sister hotel. We always try to satisfy our guest even if the hotel make mistake.

On behalf of management and team at Prince D’Angkor Hotel & Spa, we are very much appreciated and looking forward to host you again in the future.

Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

rooms not available hours after check-in time. for days they would not give us 2 keys for a room with 2 people. they take a key to get a towel at the pool and you need a key in the room to operate lights and a/c so clearly you can see that's a problem. they said they were out of keys but when i insisted after a couple days the man at the desk gave me major attitude and look that would kill. no safety lock box in the room as stated to be there and they would not bring one. otherwise i think it's a great place. nice bar and restaurant. nice rooms though a/c doesn't work that well and seems to re-set during periodic power outages. internet is non-functional - don't even bother in the lobby or wi-fi. so in many ways now i'm thinking not so great but there is a great pool and the staff is otherwise very nice. restaurant is great with something for everyone and though you can count on everyone's meals coming at different times the service is friendly there as opposed to the front desk. i also think they should monitor behavior at the pool- kids were screaming at the top of their lungs at 6 am. good location near busy street but it's quiet and not a bad walk to the river and markets and a short ride to markets and ruins. breakfast is so-so. super crowded and not the best selection compared to many other places we stayed

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
4 Thank trippytim3z
GM_Prince, General Manager at Prince D'Angkor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 23, 2014
Dear trippytim3z ,

We are so delighted to hear that you had enjoyed and most satisfied with our hospitality. We are sorry for the inconvenience caused during your stay

we highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us in becoming better at what we do and The Hotel is actively working to improve service levels and your feedback has proved to be invaluable.

Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for 3 days during my visit to Siem Reap. Located just 20 minutes walk to the night market, or a 5 minutes, $2 tuk tuk ride, there's also a 24 hr mart just across the street and a supermarket from 8-9pm. Great stuff.
Room was upgraded to the deluxe with pool view, got free internet everywhere during my stay but was very slow. There are a lot of mosquitoes in the room but they didn't bite me. There's a problem with the loo flush but didn't bother asking a technician to come fix it as it was minor.
Staffs in general are all nice, however I didn't lit the 'please service my room button', so no one made up my room when I return at 1700hrs, the maid actually came at 1730ish asking whether a room make up service will be required. I asked to return after 6 during my dinner time however she said she needs to go home by 1800hrs!
I went to the reception hopin to break the us$100 notes into smaller ones he said I need to do it in the morning ..
Breakfast is limited and the area was crowded with groups especially during the morning.
Overall satisfying but not sure if I'll return in the future

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank Jacqueline A
GM_Prince, General Manager at Prince D'Angkor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 16, 2014
Dear Man_U_canuck,

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Pluses:
- Centrally located (just tell the tuk-tuk driver "in front of Lucky Mall"; a trip to the Pub Street area shouldn't cost you more than 2 dollars one way);
- Pleasant staff (although that is par for course around Siem Reap);
- Nice rooms - certainly our delux was 5-star rather than 4-star;
- Unlike other hotels in Siem Reap, rooms have hot water at most times of day and night - for those of us with oilier skin, that's a big plus.

Could do with a bit of 'connecting the dots' by hotel management:

- The restaurant that serves breakfast is only accessible up a long, steep flight of stairs from the lobby (no lift or escalator is available). I doubt that the many seniors visiting Siem Reap will bother trekking this way every morning. We didn't.

- Not to be too Euro-centric - but since the hotel likes to remind guests of its 'award-winning' status: The staff at breakfast struggle with the bare basics of western dining. "May I have some tea with milk please?" does not mean "Bring me one cup of tea, one [identical] cup of milk, no teaspoon". Similarly, "sunny side up" does not mean "give it a thorough fry from both sides". The list goes on. A bit of training is clearly long overdue.

- Credit cards: We paid for our room through Agoda.com. At check-in, the reception staff requested a credit card for incidentals - which makes sense. However, upon check-out we were only told that the credit card receipt had already been "destroyed". Note to management: You can do one of two things - which are already very common in hotels in Indonesia and other parts of Southeast Asia: Either have your receptionist tear up the credit card slip in front of the guest during check-out; or instead of going down the credit card route, simply charge a token amount of cash, to be refunded ahead of the guest's departure. Simple as that. No one wants to fly home anticipating a confusing conversation with one's bank or the need to call the hotel's accountants a month later to get a chunk of one's credit unblocked.

- Muslim travelers: Let's face it - one of the main things that keep Siem Reap in business as a global travel destination is the enormous goodwill and solidarity of its ASEAN neighbors - especially, as it happens, Muslim-majority countries like Malaysia whose airlines (both full-fare and budget) continue operating direct (and often half-empty - at a time of major cost-cutting and route-canceling) flights to this emerging tourism hub. Therefore, Siem Reap hotels would do well to catch on to some of ASEAN's informal practices - things that have become very common over the years even in non-Muslim and highly Westernized places like Singapore and partly Hong Kong: For instance - display the qiblat in every room (a tiny green arrow inside the desk drawer will do; no one expects it to be stamped by an actual religious authority); go easy on serving pork in restaurants; where meats are sourced from halal suppliers, make this known to guests (again, they understand that to be profitable, hotels must serve alcohol, so an 'official' halal certification is rarely an option); or at least use simple color-coding of dishes to show which ones contain pork / animal fat / nuts etc. These are simple suggestions; it shouldn't take much time or cost to implement at least some of them in the future. In the meantime, the growing number of Malaysian, Indonesian, Bruneian, Malay Singaporean and Muslim Filipino visitors deserve better than to eat vegetables and shrimp during their entire trip.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank allele_12
GM_Prince, General Manager at Prince D'Angkor Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, February 9, 2014
Dear allele_12,

We highly appreciate your feedback as it will assist us to improve the service levels.