Me and my partner spend around 6 weeks of the year in Siem Reap and this was out 5th time visiting. We like to sample different hotels and boutiques around the centre each time we visit.
We are not budget travelers as we conduct business from Siem Reap and therefore having a comfortable hotel with decent facilities is a must. Typically we will pay between $60-100 per night for a hotel here. We booked this hotel for 5 nights because of a 50% discount in the off-season from the usual $120.
Firstly, this hotel looks impressive from the outside even if it is one of several dozen similar hotels all situated along nearby Road 6. It is just next to the lucky mall shopping centre and the convenience of the Angkor supermarket which both have a good selection of Khmer and Western food. The main Western dining area is Pub Street which is a 10 minute walk away. The inside decor is slightly aged but in keeping with the Cambodian style and therefore of 4-star standard.
However there are several major issues with this hotel that cannot be overlooked.
1. There are many rooms in the hotel that do not receive a Wi-Fi signal. Our Wi-Fi worked for the first 2 days and then cut-out unexpectedly. Five phone calls over the course of the day to reception resulted in no call-back or help. Eventually we had to ask to move room where we managed a 2-bar signal. Prior to this their suggestion was that we sat in the lobby/reception to conduct business!
2. The hot water showers in both rooms we sampled left a lot to be desired. In the first room the shower pulsed between 10 seconds of scalding hot water and 20 seconds of frigid cold water - no amount of tap adjustment or running of water would solve the problem.
In the second room further along the corridor, the shower did not even achieve temperature above ambient room temperature while pulsing strong and weak. This is not a problem in the 7 other hotels we have sampled in Siem Reap.
3. The air con is old and noisy. If you are a light sleeper you will require ear plugs (I had mine fortunately). This would not be an issue except that the air con blows out stale/musty air and both me and my partner had throat infections by the 3rd night. I would not be surprised if this is due to a lack of maintenance and could eventually lead to more serious health implications (google air con illness).
4. The reception staff are cold and rude. On our 5 night stay we were not greeted once by these staff. We were not offered drinks or cold towels on arrival and the staff seemed more concerned by the daily bus loads of day-trippers (tours) arriving at the hotel. This is in STARK STRAK contrast to every other hotel we have stayed at in Cambodia (where friendliness seems to be infectious).
5. The breakfast choice - while apparently good (according to reviews) is the same every single day. You will quickly tire of it and find yourself eating elsewhere. The dining room staff are friendly and helpful however!
There are also several smaller negative factors such as; The toilets do not flush properly and you will have to hold down the flusher for 15-20 seconds in order to flush. The two rooms we tried had only 3 plug sockets per room meaning you will have to ration your charging of laptops, cameras, phones, ipods etc or bring an adapter.
All in all we were very disappointed in our stay and the quality of the hotel staff and facilities generally.
I would strongly recommend that if you are here for more than a day-trip that you invest a little extra time to find one of the many many hotels and boutiques that offer highly personalised friendly experiences in luxury for the same prices rather than have your experience of Cambodia stained.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Prince D' Angkor Hotel & Spa is a sanctuary for tourists and corporate guests alike who expect excellent hospitality and friendly service. So whether you are here for business or pleasure, the Prince D' Angkor Hotel & Spa offers a luxurious haven, elegantly furnished to provide you with a comfortable stay, all the facilities and traditional Cambodian hospitality you would expect. Experience ultimate luxury and bask in the splendor of elegance at the Prince D' Angkor Hotel & Spa, the perfect base from which to explore the legendary Angkor temples and undiscovered treasures of Cambodia. It is conveniently located in the heart of the city; a minute’s walk from shops, restaurants and markets. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, HostelWorld, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Orbitz, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Prince D'Angkor Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Prince d`Angkor Hotel Siem Reap
- Hotel Prince d Angkor