Open today: 12:00 AM - 11:59 PM
Review Highlights
Prek Toal Village tours is THE BEST!!

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
amandaemays
Hagatna, Mariana Islands
via mobile
A genuine, ethical tour experience sustainably supporting the local community

Reviewed September 29, 2018
Renee C

All reviews bird sanctuary bird watching floating gardens amazing trip local community highly recommend this tour tonle sap eagles boats hyacinth fishing project village school route insight mr
Reviewed 2 weeks ago via mobile

Mr. Hoksan was the best host we could have ever asked for. Him and his staff fetched us from our hotel, sharing with us conversation, culture, and a few laughs along the way to the river. Once there, we boarded a boat outfitted with a speaker for music and refreshments. During every step of the journey, our group was so well cared for. Mr. Hoksan even offered to help us take photos. We arrived at his home to enjoy a homemade lunch by his family. I was blown away by their generousity and hospitality in opening their home to us. After that, we took their boats over to the floating pagoda where Mr. Hoksan and staff even taught each of us how to conduct a Buddhist prayer/blessing. We made some other stops, getting the chance to fully emerge into village life. Every single moment of the day was so well thought out and considerate of making our experience the most special. I would recommend this tour to anyone and will only bring my group back to Mr. Hoksan in the future! Thank you so much!

Reviewed September 29, 2018

Hoksan is a young entrepreneur who established Prek Toal Tours and Travel as part of his broader initiatives to promote and support the community that he's from.
I was part of a local NGO group that engaged Hoksan to take us around the floating villages and to see the local sights. Hoksan was an extremely knowledgeable, personable and professional guide who genuinely seeks to provide his guests an insight into the life and beauty of his community.

For people who are after sustainable and genuine experiences of Cambodia - that is, an opportunity to engage meaningfully and ethically with the people of Prek Toal, share a meal with them and learn about life in Cambodia, then Prek Toal Tours & Travel (and Homestay) is highly recommended. Hoksan will take you to his home where you will share a meal with his family. Not only will you be giving back to the community you will be visiting, but you'll also be supporting a very genuine and bright individual committed to improving the lives of people in Prek Toal.

1  Thank Renee C
anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2018

Dear Ms. Chan,

I appreciated for your taking a values time to shared your feedback about our works for the community, Prek Toal.

I am very happy that I have a chance to collaboration with you and your team.

On behalf of my community, Prek Toal villagers. We would like to express our deep appreciation for the help and support that you have offered to my community. I feel very grateful to you and your team for spending your valuable time in working hard with the eyes screening clinic in Prek Toal.

Actually, I am very happy to help my community to get better health, a better environment of living and life. I am always working and looking for supporting organizations in Cambodia and also outside the country.

To other visitor and guests want get an experience and support into our local villager’s owned tours and community projects. And all of you booking trip with us and donation into our projects; then it means that you allow us to continue to support into our community.

I am Hoksan and family, also my villagers are looking forward to seeing you again for next visit and also your friends and family.

I wish all the best and successful to all of your careers.

Reviewed July 31, 2018 via mobile

We stayed with the family of Mr Hoksan for one night in their floating house in the floating village of Prek Toal. It was a very special experience to stay in this remote village where it feels like time has stopped. We really enjoyed visiting the local school and the fishermen working on the lake. Also the food that was prepared by a local family was great. To be short, can really, recommend!!

1  Thank Hans073
anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded August 1, 2018

Dear Mr. Hans073 and Family,

Greeting from Hoksan, locally owned from Prek Toal villager.

Thanks for choosing our locally owned tours and travel, who is support into our local community, Prek Toal.

I am very happy that you and your family enjoyed your stayed, our local home-made cooked by villagers and tours to get to know about our community activities of fishing and how they live on the floating houses with us on those date, especially you and your child are enjoying with the paddle boat and boat driver experiences.

As we are local villagers from this village (Prek Toal village), we are happy to welcome you all like: family holiday trip, private, couple and group to get experiences of our local community. We are more than happy to shares and to serves you with our local services; and for every arrangement tours and stay at our home stay, which is a powerful to help us to help our community sustainable and get an extra income to support their families’ life of living environment.

As you knew that, all the payments that you made with us are direct to the family host of the homestay and for their services after or before the tours start.

Anyways I would like to say thanks for your supporting and your continuing in the future to share and recommendation your experience with us to your friends, families and your colleges for their coming holiday in Cambodia in the future soon.

We wishes you and your family all the best and happiness forever in your life; also successful to all of your plans and careers.

I look forward to serves you and your families very soon.

With warmest regards,

AN Hoksan,

Reviewed April 10, 2018

To visit something so different to what you've ever experienced before leaves you slightly lost for words. It is difficult to comprehend how people can live their lives in such a manor but they certainly seem to be thriving, not sure how the rainy season would be for them however. It is surreal to see boats delivering goods and supplies to both individual homes and shops. We enjoyed a meal in a community restaurant where the hospitality was fantastic and the food to a high standard. An excellent and enjoyable experience.

Reviewed April 9, 2018

I booked this trip for my husband's birthday because birdwatching is one of his favorite pastimes, but little did I know that the day in Prek Toal would give us so much more. Sopol (not sure I spelled that right), Mr. Hoksan's brother-in-law was our phenomenal tour guide and we are so grateful to have had the opportunity to spend the day with him in his wife's village. The first part of the day consisted of visiting the bird sanctuary, we visited during the dry season, but I think my husband was able to identify at least 9 new species of birds. The drive/boat rides out to the sanctuary are an experience in and of themselves. We loved strolling past the floating villages and watching the fisherman along the river. While the stairs up to the lookout, especially in the dry season, are not for the faint of heart, we never felt unsafe and even our 9 year old was able to climb up and down with no problem. Once up there, we'd never seen so many birds in one place! Literally thousands. Once back in the village we were welcomed to Mr. Hoksan's home and ate a delicious lunch and enjoyed a visit and blessing from a local monk. We then toured around Prek Toul, a floating village with a poplulation of over 7,000! We saw the school, the pagoda, and made a few other stops in the village. Mr. Sopol escorted us back to our hotel where we were greeted by Mr. Hoksan. The day was a truly eye opening and unique experience and will stay with us forever. Mr. Hoksan also uses a large portion of the money earned from these tours to give back to his community, we were able to visit a new home that was gifted by Mr. Hoksan to a man who was living on a boat with his wife and five children. It was a wonderful day for our entire family.

anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2018

Dear linderlou6,

Greetings from Hoksan AN, from Prek Toal Tours & Travel!

Thanks you taking your valued time to share the experience with us on TripAdvisor for a five star review.

We are happy that you enjoyed your trip with us and all of our arrangements during tours at our village, especially the tour to do the Prek Toal bird watching and blessing by showering water from the monks in the village for your husband’s birthday.

Mr. Sophal is our team member who works for my community and also the husband of my young sister. I am sorry that I could not join you and your family during the trip because I was busy with my work for the community in the project of “Prek Toal Home and Life”.

We are happy to serve you and your family, because we would like to share our community to the world and work hard to make our community get better and better with our projects and Prek Toal Tours & Travel.

As I was born from this village, I knew how hard our villagers work and support their life only from fishing in the lake and rivers. Most of the families in the village are poor and find it hard to earn money from fishing because the level of water on the lake is always changing, including the weather as well.

So we are trying to support and help our poor families who could not survive financially, by providing guest tours around the village, guest stays with “Prek Toal Tours & Travel” and also through our project of “Prek Toal Home and Life” and other projects that we have done and keep continuing.
With us, 100% invested to our community from every guests tours with us; and also our projects for the village.

Thanks again for your support of our locally owned tours and travel company which works for the community and also for your donation into our project of “Prek Toal Home and Life”.

I wish you and your family all the best in your life including happiness, healthy and all the future planned.

If there is anything else that you may need to know or any arrangements, please feel free to contact me anytime. I am more than happy to serves you and friends as we can.

Reviewed March 18, 2018 via mobile

We had a day tour to the bird sanctuary and floating village. Hoksan was the perfect guide and host helping us to see many different birds and explaining all that is happening in the village. He described how the local people live and the projects he is involved with to sustain and improve life for the villagers. Meeting his family for lunch was a pleasure. The whole day was a highlight of our holiday.

Reviewed February 26, 2018 via mobile

We did the bird watching and floatig village tour and it was fantastic! Mr Hoksan is a local and knows this area very well. He told us a lot about the birds, nature, village and the people who live there. It was a real insight in the locals life. Mr Hoksan has a great eye for the birds. He found even the smallest birds in a far distance. He even gave us his own camera because we just had our phone-cameras and we could get the pictures via Dropbox.
After a good meal in his own house we had a small trip to a tower so we could see the whole floating village.
Just a tip: Ask Mr Hoksan to show you whats inside the wooden boxes next to the tower ;)
It is also mentionable that Mr Hoksan does a lot of work for the comunity. He helps the poor and does a lot of charity work. During the tour you could see that the money you spend does not go to a big company but to the local projets that help the village.

anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2018

Dear Karlis B,

Greetings from Hoksan AN, from Prek Toal floating village, a local owned of Prek Toal Tours & Travel and Prek Toal Home Stay.

THANKS for taking the time to share your positive review of 5 stars with all detail during your trip with us.

I am very happy that you enjoyed your trip with us for the bird watching your and village tour in Prek Toal.

I am happy to serve you as we can and shares with you about our rural life style of living on the floating houses and history of the village from the beginning till current situation. With only their fishing careers to support families economic to sustainable life.

Actually, it is my experience with my loving birds and nature, so I am keep looking and finding any birds to show to our guests during tours or non-tours.

I am also happy that you enjoyed with our local home-made meal which is cooked by our local villagers with a local taste.

Our Prek Toal Tours & Travel and also myself (Hoksan) are focusing and fully supported to community from our heart as I knew all the hard works of the fishing men and women on the floating village.

Yes sure, we are doing the payment immediately in the same day to the villagers and drivers because the villagers want to have money after finished their working service as they need that money to support the daily foods and the family need. We are not a big company who do the payment at the end of the month and some of business take more than one month, we don’t like that.

Thanks again for time and I wishes you and family all the best and I look forward to seeing you again in the future coming soon.

With warmest regards,

Reviewed February 21, 2018

We participated on a two days' trip with Mr Hoksan. The experience was interesting because of the many birds that we observed, but also because of the insight in the daily activities in Hoksan's floating village and in his parents' home on the river.
Mr Hoksan was an enthusiastic guide, and he was also very patient with people like us, who didn't know too much about these birds and their English names.
This is a local enterprice, and not a big company, so the local community will benefit.

Reviewed February 2, 2018

This was an amazing day out. The bird watching was fantastic, the number of birds overwhelming and several species new to us.
We very much enjoyed our meal with the family and the tour of the floating village, it was great to get close to the real Cambodia.
We would encourage any one who wishes to go on this tour to go with Hoksan, his tour is the best value and he uses so much of his time and money supporting projects in his village.

Dear Mike P,

I am happy that you enjoyed your trip with us for bird watching including our village tour and also our local home-made meal with local taste.

As I am from Prek Toal village, I used my local experiences and knowledges to shares with you, about our real life of people who living on the floating village.

Yes, I loved my community and I do my best to help and support to the villagers to have an extra job from the fishing by taking tour with the guest. And also try to save money from guest’s arrangement tours with Prek Toal Tours & Travel put into my project (Prek Toal Home and Life’s Project) which is helping to build the floating house for our poorest families in the village, and trying to get more fundraising from very donors who wishes to help and support my community with us.

Currently, we are successful to build one floating house for a family of Mr. KONG Sameun; and we looking for more financial to continues our help to other poor families too.

Thanks again for your time, and look forward to seeing you again and also your friends or families in Siem Reap, Cambodia soon.

I wishes you all the best and happiness!

With warm regards,

Reviewed November 9, 2017

My wife and I booked a tour with Prek Toal tours and travel for late October 2017. Mr. Hoksan was our guide. We had a wonderful experience - basically, this was one of the key highlights of our Cambodia trip. Here I would like to share some details.

When we went for this tour, we have two main matters in mind: 1. birding (I am an amateur birdwatcher) and 2. floating village.

To start with birding - Prek Toal is a globally significant bird sanctuary and offers unparalleled opportunities to see some of the beautiful and rare birds. We went in October, which a wet season and not all birds were present. Still we managed to see 24 different kinds of birds on the trip, including some of the rare birds like Grey-headed fish-eagle, Spot-billed pelican and the Oriental Darter plus two kind of kingfishers (which is always a highlight for me). Hoksan made every effort to show us as many birds as we could see. I really liked his attitude.

The tour of the floating village was also very nice (if maybe a bit too long). My wife and I were really impressed with the work Hoksan is doing to help the local community. Needless to say, the very visit to a village where houses rest on water is a unique experience for us, coming from a different continent with different realities.

We had a DEET mosquito sprey with us, but we did not notice any mosquitoes on our way.

While we really loved the trip, I would advise all people to manage their expectations before they go on this trip. This is basically a journey into a remote corner of Cambodia, where the conditions are pretty basic as are the boats you will be riding. Also, in case one has absolutely no interest in seeing wild birds, this trip might not be as interesting as it was for us (to be clear - my wife is not a birder but she enjoyed the trip).

Have fun at Prek Toal!

1  Thank Shummie
anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2017

Dear Shummie (Ms and Mr. Alexander),

I am very happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your trip to my Prek Toal village for bird watching and the village tour. You seemed to enjoy seeing the birds and you some very good photos of those birds. I hope you can get a photo of the “Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)” next time.

I am also happy that you also enjoyed your day on the paddle boat around the village with a lot of fun including a story about the village and floating village’s life. And also about my Prek Toal Tours & Travel’s mission, which we are working to support our community by providing an extra job from their fishing.

With our Prek Toal Tours & Travel, to all of your arrangement tours with us, all of those tours are goes to a unique part of Cambodian and it aims to introduce our guest(s) to the lives of Cambodians and as you also joined us to help my community too.

However, I would like to say big THANKS to you for your support to the local owned tours and travel to help them to developing their community.

We will remember your suggestions when we are marketing the village and bird tours.

You are correct in saying that the tour goes to a unique part of Cambodia and it aims to introduce our guests to the lives of Cambodians, so the transport and conditions might seem basic to some.

I wishes all the best and successful to all of your careers.