“Prek Toal bird watching and floating village tour”

Prek Toal Tours & Travel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: I am Hoksan, was lucky to grow up in Prek Toal, a beautiful floating village, where my life skills helped me to gain a successful education and experiences from the village and in nearby Siem Reap. Prek Toal Tours & Travel, is a family business; and 100% is supports into our local community. We will introduce you to our family, our community, our country and best meet your individual needs and wishes. We put together a wonderful, exciting and rewarding experience for you in Cambodia, including the unique opportunity to enjoy our Prek Toal hospitality. With our experiences and expert in travel arrangements, you will be enjoyed with me, Hoksan, as your guide at a unique experience of the floating village tours, Prek Toal Homestay, Volunteering tours and Bird watching tours.
Reviewed February 2, 2018

This was an amazing day out. The bird watching was fantastic, the number of birds overwhelming and several species new to us.
We very much enjoyed our meal with the family and the tour of the floating village, it was great to get close to the real Cambodia.
We would encourage any one who wishes to go on this tour to go with Hoksan, his tour is the best value and he uses so much of his time and money supporting projects in his village.

Date of experience: February 2018
anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded March 1, 2018

Dear Mike P,

Greetings from Hoksan AN, from Prek Toal floating village, a local owned of Prek Toal Tours & Travel and Prek Toal Home Stay.

THANKS for taking the time to share your positive review of 5 stars with all detail during your trip with us.

I am happy that you enjoyed your trip with us for bird watching including our village tour and also our local home-made meal with local taste.

As I am from Prek Toal village, I used my local experiences and knowledges to shares with you, about our real life of people who living on the floating village.

Yes, I loved my community and I do my best to help and support to the villagers to have an extra job from the fishing by taking tour with the guest. And also try to save money from guest’s arrangement tours with Prek Toal Tours & Travel put into my project (Prek Toal Home and Life’s Project) which is helping to build the floating house for our poorest families in the village, and trying to get more fundraising from very donors who wishes to help and support my community with us.

Currently, we are successful to build one floating house for a family of Mr. KONG Sameun; and we looking for more financial to continues our help to other poor families too.

Thanks again for your time, and look forward to seeing you again and also your friends or families in Siem Reap, Cambodia soon.

I wishes you all the best and happiness!

With warm regards,

"floating gardens"
"tonle sap"
"unique experience"
in 2 reviews
"highly recommend this tour"
"day tour"
"insight"
"fishing"
"school"

Reviewed November 9, 2017

My wife and I booked a tour with Prek Toal tours and travel for late October 2017. Mr. Hoksan was our guide. We had a wonderful experience - basically, this was one of the key highlights of our Cambodia trip. Here I would like to share some details.

When we went for this tour, we have two main matters in mind: 1. birding (I am an amateur birdwatcher) and 2. floating village.

To start with birding - Prek Toal is a globally significant bird sanctuary and offers unparalleled opportunities to see some of the beautiful and rare birds. We went in October, which a wet season and not all birds were present. Still we managed to see 24 different kinds of birds on the trip, including some of the rare birds like Grey-headed fish-eagle, Spot-billed pelican and the Oriental Darter plus two kind of kingfishers (which is always a highlight for me). Hoksan made every effort to show us as many birds as we could see. I really liked his attitude.

The tour of the floating village was also very nice (if maybe a bit too long). My wife and I were really impressed with the work Hoksan is doing to help the local community. Needless to say, the very visit to a village where houses rest on water is a unique experience for us, coming from a different continent with different realities.

We had a DEET mosquito sprey with us, but we did not notice any mosquitoes on our way.

While we really loved the trip, I would advise all people to manage their expectations before they go on this trip. This is basically a journey into a remote corner of Cambodia, where the conditions are pretty basic as are the boats you will be riding. Also, in case one has absolutely no interest in seeing wild birds, this trip might not be as interesting as it was for us (to be clear - my wife is not a birder but she enjoyed the trip).

Have fun at Prek Toal!

1  Thank Shummie
anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2017

Dear Shummie (Ms and Mr. Alexander),

I am very happy to hear that you and your wife enjoyed your trip to my Prek Toal village for bird watching and the village tour. You seemed to enjoy seeing the birds and you some very good photos of those birds. I hope you can get a photo of the “Osprey (Pandion haliaetus)” next time.

I am also happy that you also enjoyed your day on the paddle boat around the village with a lot of fun including a story about the village and floating village’s life. And also about my Prek Toal Tours & Travel’s mission, which we are working to support our community by providing an extra job from their fishing.

With our Prek Toal Tours & Travel, to all of your arrangement tours with us, all of those tours are goes to a unique part of Cambodian and it aims to introduce our guest(s) to the lives of Cambodians and as you also joined us to help my community too.

However, I would like to say big THANKS to you for your support to the local owned tours and travel to help them to developing their community.

We will remember your suggestions when we are marketing the village and bird tours.

You are correct in saying that the tour goes to a unique part of Cambodia and it aims to introduce our guests to the lives of Cambodians, so the transport and conditions might seem basic to some.

I am Hoksan and family, also my villagers are looking forward to seeing you again for next visit and also your friends and family.

I wishes all the best and successful to all of your careers.

Warm regards,

Reviewed October 29, 2017

We found ourselves in Siem Reap after finishing a tour of Cambodia, and came across Prek Toal Tours & Travel by chance. We are so glad we did, as we had an amazing day and loved meeting Mr. Hoksan and his family and learning about the village. The bird watching was amazing and the whole experience was so peaceful compared to visiting the temples, which are completely full of people. This was definitely one of the best days we had in Cambodia. I highly recommend this tour!

Date of experience: October 2017
anhoksan, Owner at Prek Toal Tours & Travel, responded to this reviewResponded November 5, 2017

Dear Amyduffin,

Thank you for your taking a values time to shared your experience on TripAdvisor for 5 star review.

I am Hoksan, from Prek Toal village who is the local owner of Prek Toal Tours & Travel and also Prek Toal Home Stay. I am happy that you enjoyed with our service for trip to our village, Prek Toal and also for bird watching.

We are looking forward to welcoming you again and again; also your family and friends for their holiday trip in Cambodia.

I wishes have a good luck in your life and also successful with your careers as well.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed October 26, 2017 via mobile

We did the one day tour. They also have an overnight home stay and a few other tours on their website.
This small community enterprise is run by Mr Hoksan, a young man who is using his education to give back to the community. In addition to running these tours, he has a reforestation and a housing projects.
The tour started early, with a hotel pick up. We were then driven to the Tonle Sap where we caught a boat. Unlike closer floating villages, the Prek Toal is only accessible by boat. We then arrived at the village, where we transferred to smaller boats to go out to the bird sanctuary. Despite being birdwatching low season, we still managed to see plenty of birds, and were even lucky enough to see two different types of Eagles. The view really is quite breathtaking. We then returned to the village for lunch at Mr Hoksan's floating home. We were warmly received by his father, and his mother cooked a wonderful meal. We proceeded to have a tour of the village by boat. We visited several important buildings, including the school - fortunately, it was still school holidays, so we could visit the old primary school without disturbing any students. We got a good idea of how the village sustains itself on fishing, raising its own chickens, producing vegetables in the floating gardens, raising crocodiles, and weaving using water hyacinths. We came back to town taking the long route through the To me Sap lake.
It was one of the best days we had in Cambodia. It was also a full day without seeing any other tourists!
I really do highly recommend this tour. It is quite a change from the local attractions of Siem Riep, and contributes towards a valuable community development project.

Dear CD_Butterfly,

Thank you for your taking a values time to shared your detail positive feedback review for 5 star.

I am really surprised that you enjoyed your trip with our locally owned and support to my Prek Toal community. As we are with 100% of host revenue is invested back into the local Prek Toal community.

With our project of The “Greening Prek Toal Project” (GoFundme website), which is focusing replanting small trees to the damaged area from the fired last year in early April to June 2016.

And also the Prek Toal Home and Life Project, designed to improve villagers’ housing and living quality and repair the damage to families’ homes in the Prek Toal floating village.

This will be done through working with donors, community developers and Prek Toal Tours and Travel’s guests who wish to make a difference to our community. Please feel free to share the link and information to your colleagues and friends. We hope to gather as much financial support as possible through this website (GoFundme website): gofundme.com/prek-toal-home-and-life-project.

However, I would like to say big THANKS to you all that always supported to the local tours own to help them to developing their community.

I wishes all the best and successful to all of your careers.

Warm regards,