“Must see! Our guide Tom was wonderful!”

War Museum Cambodia
Book In Advance
More Info
$83.00*
and up
Private Tour: Siem Reap City Tour Full Day
Ranked #22 of 179 things to do in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Owner description: The War Museum Cambodia in Siem Reap is the only war museum in Cambodia. The museum has a unique collection, you can take a free guide (a war veteran) and you can hold small arms.
Beverly Hills, California
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Must see! Our guide Tom was wonderful!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

If you like history or weapons, or want to learn about Cambodia, visit this museum! We were going to explore on our own, but luckily Tom convinced us that we would enjoy the museum more with a guide. He was so right!

There is a $5 per person admission fee. After you enter, a guide will offer his time free of charge and you can make a donation to him at the end if you want (but there is no pressure). How could you not take advantage of the real-life knowledge of a veteran who experienced the history you are viewing.

The museum is outdoors, set in a small forested area which used to be a mine field, and there are chickens milling about. You will see tanks, artillery, guns, defused land mines/bombs, and photos. There is also a former mass grave – the bodies now are entombed in a memorial in Siem Reap. You can pick up and check out some of the weapons and even climb on the tanks. There is a small gift shop with books, shirts, and ice cold drinks.

Our guide Tom was conscripted at age 14 in the infantry and lost his arm in the war. He told us about some of his experiences and his family. He answered all of our many questions and was a gracious host.

Please do visit this museum and accept the services of a guide. You will help the veterans and learn first- hand about this terrible time in Cambodia’s history.

Visited March 2013

• Turkish first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic guide”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013 via mobile

My partner an I went to the war museum as he is very interested in these sorts of things, I had no expectations of it only that it would be sad. We had also herd alot about scamming at the gate. We arrived and we were the only people there and there was no signs if anyone trying to scam us. Just the one ticket booth.
Upon walking in we were approached by a lovely man asking if we would like a guide, Mr Keo. He said there is no cost just that it would be appreciated if we made a donation after. We agreed to have him as our guide and it was definitely worth it.
Without a guide the museum is more of a collection of artefacts from the war, so I would reccommend if you go there get a guide.
Mr Keo was a very gentle person who had unfortunately been through alot. He had scars and 3 fingers missing from where he had experienced mines blowing up.
He took us around explaining what everything was, telling us general information about the war but most memorably he shared his storey with us.
He talked about how his parents were killed and he joined for food at the age of 16. He spoke of his friends, many of which died and even showed us a T 54 where one of his friends were blown up still containing remenants of his bones. He also told us of his general life and day to day hardships.
At the end of the tour he was not pushy but only said any donations we gave would go toward helping his boy (an landmine orphan who he takes care of as he has no wife or children of his own) we gave him 15 but would have loved to give hundreds.
I feel that without him this would have been a fairly mediocre experience but I am greatful that I got the time to meet and talk with Mr Keo and appreciate him sharing his storey with us, whilst it is very obvious how much it had afftected him by the pain in his eyes.
I would definitely go back and have this experience again and I intend to on my next visit in the hopes to speak to him again.
Do the meuseum and ask for MR Keo as your guide!

1 Thank Skruffie
Buckingham, United Kingdom
79 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Sad”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 5, 2013

Its not so nice to think about war when you are on vacation but it is a good wakeup call as a reminder how evil some folk are. The guides, who I believe are all disabled veterans, are passionate about their stories and their conribution to the war effort. Facinating tales.
As for the displays - I am not so positive. Really, its a collection of scrap metal going rusty which detracts from the carnage they have caused. There are some interesting displays of photos and story boards in the sheds on the perimeter of the museum.
Felt uneasy giving the guide a donation of cash - would have preferred a collection box.

Visited March 2013
Siem Reap, Cambodia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Take a Review of Your Life - And Feel Lucky!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013

Firstly: I find Mr Wilson C's review a little disappointing to say the least. In a place where wet season/monsoon rains prevail for a better part of the year, it is impossible to keep these pieces of used war material up to 30 years old in some cases, in shining condition. It is far from a modern day "New Car Sales Lot". A little insensitive is my thinking.
Secondly: My review! There is nothing better or therapeutic than having a beer with Old Soldiers! Albeit they were not drinking beer because they were working - I was. Cold beer is available from their shop. Nice on a hot day after a tour and explanation of the horrors that gripped this country. Through my guide Sna, I was astonished (even after researching what I thought to be decent research) that the civil war didn't end in 1979 and the end of the Pol Pot Regime - IT ESCALATED and continued until 1998! The Khmer Rouge still having enough backing and power to resist Phnom Penh until this time.

After Sna's very honest and at times heartbreaking account of the civil war, I was emotionally and physically beaten, so I opted for a very cold Heineken from their shop store. I was invited to sit with some of the guides, Sna, Mr Khom and Mr Ratanna. The sense of humour these old soldiers display after the horrors of combat astounded me! Genuine, lovely people who made me laugh until I was crying, with their highly developed and combined sense's of humour!

This is a MUST see, DO ask for a guide! You will definitely appreciate how lucky you are after hearing first hand accounts of what it would be like to face and stare death in the face - EVERYDAY! It will make you appreciate your own life so much more.

If you are up to it, you can even ask Mr Khom and Mr Ratanna to show you how to play Cambodian Chess if they are not busy.

Mr Khom will say he is the best, Mr Ratanna will strongly oppose his opponent! All in the nicest friendly environment and in the nicest possible way!!!!!!

Visited February 2013
Quezon City, Philippines
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Disturbing but a good place to visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

We visited the land mine museum and was affected by the depth of history of violence and senselessness of war.

Our guide was Mr. Keo, who himself is a landmine victim who started to serve in their military at the age of 17, being an orphan and with no other option in life.

He was able to show us the atrocities of the regime of Pol Pot, and how Cambodians were eradicated whimsically to further Pol Pot's ambitions.

The museum shows actual mines, tanks and armory used in the war, with pictures depicting the sad state of war.

Please look for Mr. Keo, he will surely make your tour there meaningful.

Visited January 2013