“Our second time here - really enjoyed it.”
Review of Le Meridien Angkor

Le Meridien Angkor
Ranked #62 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed April 20, 2014

Our second time here, we were upgraded to a deluxe room - spacious, well furnished and in a quiet part of the hotel. It really is a peaceful place to stay - the pool was deserted on our first day - everyone being at the Temples.Breakfast was good, though busy and service was efficent and polite.-onthing too much trouble. The bar in the evening was pleasant- after being out in the evening for a night cap - welcome respite to the noise of Siem Reap
We got the hotel to organise a guide to take us to Angkor Wat - he was fantastic and made the trip very interesting , though we wished we had gone early morning, since it was the New Year and Angkor Wat was extremely busy , however it added to the atmosphere.
Glad we stayed here again, lovely

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Masahiro_Taguchi_LMA, General Manager at Le Meridien Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your inspiring review.

I am happy to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at Le Meridien Angkor. My team takes great pride in ensuring that all our guests will have excellent experiences during their stay in the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you again to the Kingdom of Wonders. See you soon!

Masahiro Taguchi

Write a ReviewReviews (3,174)

Reviewed April 18, 2014

When planning to visit Siem Reap, I always had one hotel in my mind at which to stay, and that was Le Meridiem Angkor. I have always read good reviews for this hotel, and don't really understand why it is not higher up the rankings here on TripAdvisor.

When I arrived at the hotel at around 9pm, I was sat down at a nice comfy sofa in the lobby, and given a welcome drink and a cold towel, which was a really nice touch. The staff member dealing with checking me in, came over to me and discussed the details, rather than expecting me to go and stand at the desk, which was another nice touch. First impressions are important. A bell boy then took me to my room, and showed me the basics, such as how to work the aircon and reminded me that drinks were not free in the mini bar.

Internet worked fine in my room, although I am an SPG member so I get free internet. Otherwise, I think it is around $15 per day according to the concierge. The wifi speed is pretty fast - faster than I expected - and there were no outages. I could not get any wifi signal on my iPhone 5, but this is I believe not a fault of the hotel, rather an issue with my iPhone not accepting the security certificate of the hotel's wifi connection.

I had a work desk with a large Buddha statue on it, and a large daybed on which to lounge. I found that if I needed to lounge around, I laid on my bed, rather than use the daybed. The TV was flatscreen and was mounted on the wall. It had a good selection of channels, including BBC World, which is my preferred channel when travelling. The mini bar is pretty expensive, and by way of food, does not stock chocolate, only a small tub of Pringles. However, there is a little shop selling all kinds of groceries just across the road, where you can buy drinks and food very cheaply and take it back to your room.

One issue I did have with the room was poor lighting. There never seemed to be enough light, either during the day or in the night. This was I think a poor design of the room, in that sunlight doesn't shine in, and the poor positioning of the lights with probably dim bulbs didn't help either. You may struggle to get reading or writing done while in your room. The housekeeping team were very polite to me on each morning and they did a great job in tidying up the room for me.

My experiences in other parts of the hotel were great experiences. I regularly had a burger in the hotel lobby, along with assorted drinks and macrons. Most of the time there were no staff members available in the area to serve me, and I had to go up to the reception and ask them to call the bar staff to come and take my order. When they turned up, however, they were very friendly and polite, and always addressed me as "sir". I think they may have been overrun and understaffed, rather than any laziness on their part, so their disappearance at random times is not too much of a bother to me.

I did spend an afternoon swimming in the glorious Khmer-inspired swimming pool. The water is very warm, much warmer than any pool I have been in before, but I guess it's just heated by the humid tropical air, rather than artificially, so it's not something the hotel can control. I saw some dead wasps floating on the surface of this swimming pool, which I made sure I avoided when I swam, although I did see staff around the pool regularly fish out the dead leaves that drop into the pool from the shrubbery above. There are plenty of loungers around the pool, and towels are available to take free of charge from the towel concierge by the fitness centre.

Le Meridien Angkor is the closest 5 star hotel to the temples, and it is very, very good value for money here. I would recommend the hotel to anybody - and if I ever return to Siem Reap, I will be coming back to Le Meridien Angkor.

Room Tip: Rooms on level 2 and 3 are probably quieter as there is often live entertainment in the lobby or bar...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
Masahiro_Taguchi_LMA, General Manager at Le Meridien Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at Le Meridien Angkor.

We have taken note about your feedback regarding the pool matter and understaffed.

Thank you again for choosing Le Meridien Angkor and if you decide to have more stay experience, please feel free to contact us for any assistance you might require.

Reviewed April 17, 2014

Siem Reap is a bustling town with busy roads filled with motorcycles and tuk tuks. Le Meridien is a quiet haven set in large manicured grounds. The hotel is an excellent place to base yourself for touring the temples and visiting town (which is only 5 minutes away). Hotel rooms and food outlets are high standard. Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: Choose the SPG rooms as they offer free wifi

Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from Le Meridien Angkor and thank you for your review. We are very happy to hear that you had an inspiring stay with us.

Please let us know if you decide to come back to Siem Reap Angkor again, we would be delighted to be able to assist you in any way.

Reviewed April 16, 2014

My husband and I stayed here for three nights and used our Starwood points. It's a beautiful hotel, a $2 or $3 tuk tuk ride from the center of the city. We ate at the restaurant a lot because it's a high standard and a very safe place to eat in Siem Reap. Food is great, so is the bread. Best items are the homemade ice cream and homemade potato chips that I discovered tonight. They place complimentary fruit in the room. The only fault is that two days in a row they only put one set of towels in the room which I've never experienced before. Every hotel gives you two sets. They also bring mini pastries to the room each afternoon. Beautiful pool, too. IThey have the biggest oversized king bed I've ever seen. Loved it! realized too late about the complimentary trips to/from the airport which is a nice touch. I prepaid pickup with my tour company which I was unable to cancel. Take advantage of that. Do not event attempt to take a tuk tuk to save money. It's too hot and too dusty. Unlike the U.S., as a gold member you are not entitled to a choice of free breakfast, a drink, or 250 points, just points or a drink. Every other hotel has given me free breakfast. This is my first Starwood in Asia though. I'll be using points in Chiang Mai and Bangkok at Le Meridien, so I'll see if it's standard or not. The manager told me that they only do that in U.S.

Room Tip: pool view is preferred. rooms are a really good size. never heard any noise.

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review.

I am delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your with our hotel.
We would like to apologize for the towels matter, it will never happen again.

Wishing you all best from Siem Reap and looking forward to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed April 14, 2014

Myself and two friends stayed here for 3 nights. We were in a twin room with a great quality roll out bed for the third person. The room itself was very nice. Good AC. The shower was nice and powerfull.

We found the breakfast to be superb. A good variety and very tasty.

The pool area was beautiful. The sun loungers were very comfortable. The pool itself was very nice to swim in and just relax.

The staff could not have been any better. Every single person we met from the cleaners to Reception Staff were always very pleasant and had a smile on their face.

If I am ever back in Siem Reap I will be staying here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Dear Valued Guest,

Sincere greetings from Le Meridien Angkor team and thank you on a great review.

We are proud to hear that our rooms and our staff gave you entire satisfaction.
Thank you for your compliments on our breakfast buffet, will share your feedback to our chef.

Should you decide to visit us again, do check out our exciting promotions at lemeridienangkor.com or Le Meridien Angkor official Facebook page.

Reviewed April 10, 2014

Our tour of Angkor Wat came toward the end of almost a month long tour of Asia so we were understandably tired. The pool and spa areas were so beautifully relaxing and well maintained. I scheduled an appointment for a massage with Sophie. She is a jewel and gave the nicest, most relaxing massage I've ever experienced. The hotel staff couldn't have been any more attentive; they all wanted to please. If anyone is planning a trip to see Angkor Wat I highly recommend the Le Meridien as the place to stay for your time there.

Room Tip: Our room was on the 3rd floor and overlooked the pool and spa area. Don't miss the pool and spa...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your excellent review and for your loyalty.

We are delighted to hear that you really enjoyed our spa treatment. Thank you again for high recommendation of our hotel to Trip Advisor’s reader.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another inspiring retreat.

Reviewed April 9, 2014

I booked this hotel because I am SPG Gold member. The hotel picked me up at airport and the staff was so nice and introduced the history of Angkor Wat when he was driving. I was upgraded to the corner room with beautiful pool view. The swimming pool was one of best hotel pool I have ever seen. The hotel delivered free fruits and snacks to your room during the day, and free bottle waters. They do offer free beverage in the lobby but it was not self service. You have to call waitress to order it. So we only enjoyed once. The Spa was great. Even though it was more expensive than the spa on the street, but for extra $20 per hour, it was definitely worth. The only disappointing thing was that the breakfast cost $17 with tax. I tried one day, even though there was no expensive seafood, e.g. smoke salmon, the taste was really good. But I still think it was pricy, especially in Siem Reap. If you are a SPG member or want to enjoy five star hotel when you visit Angkor Wat, this hotel is your good choice. The location is in the middle of Angkor Wat and downtown.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Masahiro_Taguchi_LMA, General Manager at Le Meridien Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your extremely positive review on Trip Advisor.

We are delighted to hear that you have inspiring stay with us and we are happy to see that you love our swimming pool very much. We believed you had a memorable time exploring all of Siem Reap's splendor.

Thank you again for recommending our resort to Trip Advisor reader.
We are looking forward to welcoming you back for another inspiring retreat.