“Doublebooking & Rude”

Ranked #158 of 495 Siem Reap B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Doublebooking & Rude”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We had booked our twin room at Jasmine Lodge four days prior to our arrival in Siem Reap. Two days prior to leaving Phnom Penh for Siem Reap I read the latest review by a guest who mentioned that they did not honour his booking etc. and opted to mail the guesthouse to confirm that our reservation still stands. I had no response, but was hopeful that I need not read too much into it. I should have.

We arrived at about 4pm and the lady at the reception fumbled through papers pretending she knew nothing of our reservation. I pulled up the confirmation email on my phone, and past my phone onto the lady at which stage she called for another guy to come assist. She then handed back my phone AFTER DELETING THE CONFIRMATION EMAIL (The email was sitting in my trash items). By the time I had realised what she had done the next guy (I recall he was son of the owner) tried assisting us and very calmly told us that he knew of my reservation (and subsequent email) but had give our room to guests who had arrived earlier, and had no space for us in their hotel. I understand mistakes happen, but the casual manner in which the guy told us that our reservation no longer holds made me realise that this happens quite frequently.

Their attitude was disgusting, they offered no solution and it's worth mentioning again that the lady knew full-well what she was trying to do when she deleted my confirmation email - simply pathetic service. Stay at this hotel at your peril.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mark W

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed December 24, 2013

Untrustworthy rude and abusive.

The owner will give you the worst of Cambodian hospitality including threatening violence, letting you know his uncle/brother etc is a policeman and you better watch it, giving your pre-booked room away, and refusing to give you a refund. We booked as a group of 7, separately with the idea that we would be staying in the same hotel.

This hotel deliberately overbooks and tries to change you to inferior rooms at the same price and it wasn't just one of us that was messed around.

Avoid Jasmine Lodge like to plague. The owner has to offer to absolute worst of Cambodian hospitality and is completely undeserving of any business.

Room Tip: Choose a room in a different hotel. No matter what room you book online, you wont receive it anyway...

Travelers are raving about these Siem Reap hotels

Singapore
Reviewed December 17, 2013

For USD15 a night with air con room and. Breakfast thrown in., can't get better value than this.
The only downside is that wifi is not available in the room but at reception area.
New neat and well kept guest house. Has a very small pool

Room Tip: Be careful of slippery shower room
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed December 14, 2013

Friendly yet relaxed staff.. but don't expect a marriot experience. ALWAYS friendly though :)

Had a seven day stay in a twin. Nice air con.... great bathroom, always clean... and great free breakfast menu

we went around around 8 hotels in the area, and this... by far was the best... and cheapest. Really happy with the place... thanks for a great week.

Adam

Room Tip: left building is newer than the right one.
Quezon City, Philippines
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My friends arrived in the lodge around midnight via land travel from HCM. The bill of our accommodation was miscalculated, so we tried to negotiate for a discount, but it was not given by the staff. The room is spacious but, room cleaning was not done. Overall, we enjoyed our stay, most especially the pool.

Mandaluyong, Philippines
Reviewed November 26, 2013

Before anything else, I think there are Two Jasmine Hostels (Or three? Hmmm... I better check on that.) However, they have the same owner, my friends and I were lucky enough to experience the two that are situated almost across each other.

The smaller hotel that you have to go through a rugged road alley is mostly populated by backpackers. The rooms are decent, the toilets are OK, the staff is friendly, helpful, their pool is always kept clean and the food they serve is also good, but cheap.

The two things that dented our stay is their air conditioner is quite old, so it's quite tricky in adjusting it to the level that you want, AND the owner failed to inform his guests that sometimes the water supply gets cut due to a huge road construction, this is something that lodge owners must be aware of to avoid surprises when guests are in the shower or worse; toilet. (I had to buy a huge bottled water just to finish my shower, man!)

Now, the bigger Jasmine Lodge. We got the chance to stay in it overnight due to our airline's ineptitude to inform its passengers that there was a reschedule (a ONE day reschedule, mind you) so we had no choice but to call the owner of the hotel; and he was nice enough to send a tuktuk to pick us up, for free. He also told us that unfortunately the room we stayed earlier (in the smaller Jasmine Lodge) has already been booked, but he can give us a room (In the larger Jasmine Lodge) for only one night since it was already booked for tomorrow so we have to check out by 11:30 AM, even though our flight is at 10:30 PM.

The room we stayed in is spacious compared to the smaller one since this Jasmine Lodge is I believe; reserved for families on vacation, they have your basic TV (but with better cable), the toilet is also clean(er) and new(er), they also have a bigger pool and better looking hallways.

Now what I liked about the Jasmine Hostel is the staff and the owner that nicely told us that we can stay at the lobby even after we check out, use the staff comfort rooms, still use the pool if we want to and shower as well and even use the internet (We have tablets, so we went for their wifi and even watched a boxing match, but be warned, their wifi is not that steady as the smaller Jasmine Lodge) while waiting for our flight, also we are free to leave our bags beside the receptionist counter so we can do some last minute sight seeing. Their lobby is quite comfortable, so comfortable that my friends slept soundly on their sofas, and the staff kept themselves quiet allowing them to sleep more. (Mostly I just exchanged banter with the friendly staff), and arrange another cab to the airport. All in all, I will definitely stay in Jasmine Lodge when I come back, this time with my family.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
cambridge, ma
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very nice.. Better than I was expecting from the reviews. The bed was large, room spacious and bathroom was clean. They had a tv, which I didn't use. The internet was terrible in the evening, probably because everyone was online. The pool is pleasant and the restaurant and staff were nice. The biggest annoyance were the other guests...rude backpackers, obnoxious groups splashing everyone in the pool, everyone constantly smoking. Overall, it was worth it.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends