Cool Cambodia - CLOSED
Review Highlights
Awesome week with cool cambodia

I came to Siem Reap and met Danny the guy who organises that country side tour, at the hostel I was... read more

Reviewed September 7, 2016
JanaRRR
via mobile
Authentic cultural your among locals

Reviewed January 6, 2016
Cardhappy
via mobile

See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed September 7, 2016 via mobile

I came to Siem Reap and met Danny the guy who organises that country side tour, at the hostel I was staying.
He give us one of the most enchanting days out I could ever wish for.
It was so authentic and exceeded all my expactactions! We were so impressed when my friends came to visit we got Danny and Sambo (the guide) to organise our whole weeks tours.
Fantastic service they even got my friends discount at a hotel they booked.
If you coming to Siem Reap, you should contact these guys for a real off the beaten track experience in Cambodia!
Can not reccormend enough.
Thanks guys for the awesome days!

Reviewed January 6, 2016 via mobile

Our tour guide Sambo picked us up by tuc tuc at hotel at 9.00am we travelled about an hour to his local village and in the way he filled us in on his life and family history. He showed us his temple cost $60,000 where the monks pray every day (they don't live there) He showed us around his relations farm and all the different veg they have we were tasting leaves and herbs as we went. He's really into organic cooking. He introduced us to some locals. He started to make soup and went to kill the chicken. He then put it in the pot and plucked it when it was cooked. I helped his aunt and himself prepare the veg. We had it with rice. He then took us over to the relations who fed us snake, eel soup, stuffed frogs, and fish. Michael had a great time playing the the children. I think the whole village was there at some stage and all were receivedbuy the family and offers food They were really hospitable we left to see the sundown over the fields. The locals gave us a great send off it really was s terrific day and great to see cambodia culture. Thank you Sambo from Michael and Anna

Reviewed October 13, 2015 via mobile

So it was kinda last minute booking.. just jump in with another traveller that was going out.. it came highly recommended to me from a friend.. and it was great. Sambo our tour guide spoke very good english and answered every question we could possibly ask. The village was lovely, the families were kind.. I spent most my time playing with the children and laughing until my sides hurt. we went fishing in ponds and rice patty rivers, caught a few fishies for our dinner which were tasty as.. which we bbq over a small fire out in the farmlands down south.. the sunset was brilliant... and on our way back to the village people were setting off fireworks.. it was a lovely finish to such a great day. so much to see. to do. interacting with the locals. such a delight. I highly recommend this tour for anyone that wants to get out siem reap for the day and spend some time in the village amongst the locals!!

Reviewed August 20, 2015 via mobile

Sambo picked me up in the morning and we drove out to his village in rural Cambodia. The scenery is spectacular, the lifestyle so close to nature, Sambo an amazing person with stories of his life and of Cambodia that will make you feel attached to him, the country and the people. I loved hearing his stories, learning about rural life, smelling the herbs and took every moment in with me to keep forever. Sambo picked fresh herbs and vegetables to make the most delicious meal I've had in Cambodia.
Try this, it's different than anything you will ever do and it's like having a friend who can tell you so many things firsthand about Cambodia.

Reviewed April 25, 2015 via mobile

One of the best things I've done in my 3 months of traveling SE Asia. A real look into the everyday life of the Khmer. Our guide, Sambo, was amazing. He took us to his home where his family made us a delicious curry dish with ingredients straight from the backyard. We were then joined by a couple of the local children who helped Sambo catch us fish for a late afternoon meal. I HIGHLY recommend this if you are in the Siem Reap area. Thanks for everything Sambo!

dontdoit91, Owner at Cool Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2015

Thanks Casey and cheers for the photos you posted, have put some up on the website.
All the best and enjoy your travels .
Danny and Sambo

Reviewed March 13, 2015 via mobile

Best experience with Cambodian peeps, so welcoming and friendly. Best experience in SE Asia so far, barbecuing fresh fish and drinking good beer with Cambodian people

Reviewed March 2, 2015

I came to Siem Reap with my friend Lynn, who really wanted the chance to go fishing while we were traveling. After a long day of exploring temples, we were hanging out around the tour desk at The Siem Reap when we spotted the info for Cool Cambodia...We asked immediately for more info and lo and behold, when the hostel called, the guy who runs the website was walking by. He came right in and gave us the rundown of what the tour would involve and told us exactly what we could expect...a super laid-back, genuine look at rural Cambodian life with very nice people.

That's exactly what we got. Sambo picked us up in his jeep the next day and we had an absolutely amazing time from start to finish. Right off the bat, Sambo, who sure can talk, began sharing his views on Cambodian history, contemporary Cambodia, religion, politics and more. We stopped briefly at a temple, then headed into the rural countryside.

It was such a calm, real and perfect day. We walked around his families and neighbors properties, checking out their gardens, full of herbs, fruits and vegetables. They had little ponds where they were raising frogs which were cool, and lots of livestock was running about. We met tons of adorable and friendly children. Then we had the best lunch EVER- fish a mok made by his family. It was SO delicious. I'd read some reviews saying the food was just okay, or worse, and was expecting to have to politely stomach it, but we both agreed that it was the best meal we had in Cambodia.

After lunch, we drove out further into the countryside to do some fishing. The rice paddies are so beautiful and green and it was just sooo nice and laid back after being in the crowded temples the previous two days. We cooked our little fish over a fire, drank rice wine and basically just hung out blissfully until the sun set. Dinner was so tasty and it was just really magical.

This is a really quiet, wonderful way to get to know Cambodia. There's nothing to buy and lots to learn. If you want to take it slow and take in some authentic culture, this is the place to do. Absolutely recommended.

2  Thank Fionnuala K
Reviewed February 11, 2015

this was the highlight of my two month trip. if you want a real taste of what rural cambodia is like, don't hesitate and book this immediately. i got to try foods i never thought i would, i played with the sweetest and kindest children, and i saw some truly beautiful scenery. sambo was a great host. i'm at a loss for words cause there really is no way to describe this tour that will accurately do it justice. just go!

dontdoit91, Owner at Cool Cambodia, responded to this reviewResponded February 13, 2015

Hi Mindy
Thank you so much for your kind review,and we really appreciate you coming to the village and seeing real Cambodian rural life. It is our aim to keep the visit as authentic as possible and when we get reviews like yours it makes it all worthwhile. Thanks again for your support of the village, please spread the word

Safe travels Danny And Sambo

Reviewed January 26, 2015

I came for the temples and left with the People of Cambodia themselves....

....this was due to the experiences I had the second day I was there..

but lets go back a step.....staying at The Siem Riep Hostel (excellent hostel) thinking of maybe doing something different I was looking at some of the flyers and found Cool Cambodia... I called up the tour operator Danny and asked what it was all about. Would it be the real thing!! He said to experience it myself and go with the flow...I would not be dissapointed...ok so I booked!

What happened the next day I was not prepared for....it was both wonderful, incredible, somewhat sad but most importantly it took me on a journey I never wanted to come back from...

Things happened....Oh yes they did....but I will not tell you too much myself....I will just say this:

If you want see and come together with the people and children of Cambodia, if you want to see how they live and feel, if you want to see a sunset from the rice fields and maybe even fish in the canals for some fish, snake or catfish then this is the tour to do it on. Sambo will be your tourguide...a wonderful man who will show you and make you feel how it is to live a life outside of civilization....

Enjoy.....

Thanks Danny, Thanks Sambo...will be back....

1  Thank chickenmania40

Hi Mindy

Safe travels Danny And Sambo

Reviewed January 20, 2015

This trip was absolutely amazing! We got to spend the day learning and experiencing the everyday life of people in rural Cambodia. Everyone was unbelieveably friendly and the children were extremely sweet and fun! We played with the kids, tried snake and rice wine for lunch, and watched our guide catch fish with nets in the river.

It wasn't just about getting to see their everyday life. I learned so much too. I feel like now in my everyday life I want to be more grateful for what I have and remember what it feels like to experience kindness, like these complete strangers showed me. I would encourage everyone to do this!

One note of warning, this is not a touristy or really comfortable thing to do so don't go expecting people to wait on you. Go with an open mind and heart and it will be an experience you'll never forget!!