“Clean room and friendly staff”
Review of Royal Empire Hotel

Royal Empire Hotel
Ranked #148 of 361 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed here for 8 nights as a couple and part of a tour group in Dec 2012. The rooms are decently sized and clean, and we have a room overlooking the pool which was pleasant. When we were there, we understand this hotel caters to tour groups (wherein we are one of them), and business has expanded (they have added a new wing), yet the staff remains attentive and friendly, Breakfast spread is not sumptuous but adequate. The pool provides great reprieve especially after a long hot day exploring the temples or trekking the jungles. Massage/spa is however disappointing, the masseuse we have (on 2 occasions) were not up to mark. Air-conditioning in the hotel overall and room was good. Location is also adequate, it is 10-15 min from the Airport, and 10-15min to the old market place (akin town centre) and 10-15 min to Angkor Wat temples. This is not a luxe hotel, but if you are looking for a clean no nonsense air-conditioned room with adequate hot water bath/ shower place, at an ok location, this is it.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank sharewise

Reviewed December 26, 2012

The hotel itself was very nice with a large swimming pool. However, the beds were so hard that I considered sleeping on the floor. I wish I would have looked at the location before I booked. While it was a short tuktuk ride to town, I would have preferred to be in the middle of town and able to walk to the markets.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We booked for a double bed but it wasn't available, so we got two single beds. Staff was very helpful and move beds for making one big bed. Our room was beautiful and very clean, separate bath and shower. We had some problems with wi-fi, but staff resolve them in 10 minutes. The breakfast is big and variate. This hotel is well located, near night market and Angkor.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2012

We are a family of 2 adults and 3 kids, so we asked for an interconnecting room. One room had a king-size bed which my husband and son shared. The other room had two super-single beds pushed together which my 2 daughters and I shared. The arrangement didn't work well for us because my youngest daughter didn't want to sleep in the middle with the groove, so both of us were squeezed on one bed with me feeling like I'm going to fall off any minute. The mattresses and pillows were also very very firm, which contributed to 3 nights of bad sleep. Our reservation said automatic upgrade from superior to deluxe rooms for stays of 3 nights or more. But our rooms were not of deluxe quality in my opinion. We were situated next to the lifts, and I could hear the lifts' "ting-ting" sounds during peak hours and at night. Our rooms had a view of the next door's hotel wall, less than a meter away. Towels were not given at all when we checked in. We had to request 3 times for them to deliver 2 sets per room. On the second day, one set was removed by house-cleaning and we were left with just one set for 3 persons for the next 2 days. The free wi-fi was non-existent even though our rooms were above the lobby area. We could detect the next door hotel's wifi signal, but too bad we couldn't log-in. Wifi also not detected in restaurant or pool. Only the lobby had wifi. I also tried the aroma oil massage provided by the hotel. It was a lousy experience. Shower cap and disposable underwear were not provided. The towel given just barely covered my body. The air-con in the massage room blew directly at my head and shoulder, so I felt cold. When I asked the masseur to turn up the temperature, she switched off the air-con. I bared with the stuffiness for a while but finally couldn't stand it when a mosquito bit me. So I asked her to turn on the air-con, and it blasted cold air at me again. The masseur also didn't use much strength; my tired muscles were not relieved at the end. I would say the only good points about this hotel is the quiet, clean swimming pool with a smaller pool for kids, and the wide-spread buffet breakfast. The chicken porridge tasted really good and I like the freshly-cooked eggs. It's also next to a small local market with a fruit stall, a mini-mart and some food stalls. But I would not recommend eating at those food stalls because there were flies all over. The mini-mart was a life-saver for us with their stock of yogurt, Korean choco-pie and instant cup noodles when my kids were hungry.

Room Tip: Do not take rooms 301 and 302. They are just outside the lifts, so you can hear the "ting-ting...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
Justin-ouk, Manager at Royal Empire Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded January 29, 2013

Dear Mr. & Mrs. Zinc,
Warmest Greetings from Royal Empire Hotel!

We are the management of Royal Empire Hotel, would like to express our sincere to thank for choosing our hotel for your accommodation, and many thank for your dropping your feedback.

We feel very sorry for unexpected problem occur during your stay, and we are much disappointed to learn that our services and facilities fell short of your expectation, whilst we have tried our best to provide the efficient and quality services to our customers. To prevent recurrence of the same kind, we have reminded the front-line staff again to always handle the customer's instructions with proper care. Again, we deeply apologize for the frustration you and your family came across.

Furthermore, many thank for your bringing this matter to our attentions, which enables us to improve our services and facilities more efficient. Finally we do hope this isolated matter will not spoil your confidence and looking forward to serving you better in the future.

Best Regards,
The Management.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for 12 nights. I chose this hotel because of the reviews as suggested on tripadvisor. We were met by Sam the hotel manager at the airport to escort us to his hotel. Throughout our stay every member of the hotel staff went beyound there call of duty to ensure that our stay was as best as it could possibly be and we were certainly not dissapointed.
The attentative staff made our holiday one that we will always remember. We had a beautiful room (227) over looking the pool. Breakfast was included it was a hearty buffet style and the cusine suited all your dietry needs. We also had evening meals and they were excellent and supplement by excellent service also it was good value for money. Spending 12 nights we felt that we got to know the hotel staff very well we felt like familiy members. Sam the hotel manager went out of his way and offered us 2 VIP tickets it was a red carpet job to enable us to go to Angor Wat on 2/11/12 the special occasion was provided by Cambodian tourism minister to promote this area as a holiday destination amongst other Asian countries ministers who were also in attendance.What an evening we were one of the lucky few to celebrate this occasion within an impressive iconic location they lit up the temple followed by celebratery firework display. An event that we will never forget and I cannot thank Sam enough and his staff for making our stay in Siem Reap so memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the hotel pool perferably with a balcony. If availabity allows and your...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Stag300
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I was on a business trip to Phnom Penh but stop over for 3 days 2 nights short holiday at Siem Reap to bring my dad for some relaxation excursion. My business partner had previously stayed here before, and hence he was a return customer to book room for all of us this time around at Royal Empire Hotel.

The location of the hotel is very near to the airport (around 10 minutes via the “tuk tuk" i.e the motorbike with a carriage, at slow speed - leisurely cruising along) and along this street, it is obviously a tourism town with hotels lying on both sides of the road at National Road No.6 where the Royal Empire Hotel is situated. Since this is very near to the airport, there is quite a distance to the town centre. But the distance can be perceived as far if you are to walk while consider a short trip with the tuk tuk. Distant to the ancient temples sites were all within reach. Anyway the whole town is very small as I view it. So honestly, I don't worry because the tuk tuk is fairly cheap and abundant as well.

Hotel pricing vice, the over the counter/phone price is around USD 100-130 and that is somewhat ridiculous. But my partner was able to book the room via internet online costing us a 2-single bedroom at around USD49 per room per night. At USD 100 plus, I reckon you can get a better 5 stars hotel with more amenities and maybe closer to the town centre although I am comfortable with this one at USD 49.

At my time of visiting, the hotel was constructing a new wing for further extension. This served no hindrance except for the usage of the swimming pool which was too dusty to be utilized.

Breakfast was a buffet style which is normal for most of us everywhere but with 2 days I reckon that everything was just a repetition day in and day out. I don't expect much because the 5 stars hotel do have the same menu every other day.

Massage. I had tried out the in house massage and being the most expensive in the selection, USD 24 for the 1 and a half hour Khmer Oil Massage, I reckon it is not really worth it compare to "SO Angkor Khmer Massage & Spa" where I paid USD 25 for 2 hours Khmer Oil Massage where I can even choose what essence oil I wanted. However you must take account of the tuk tuk fee, where I had waived off since I hire them for the whole day basis* :) take note here that my hire start from morning to 12midnight??!! That is why I say it's cheap and why worry about transportation.

Further note: Don't pay USD 30 to book a car for the butterfly trip (not including the entrance fee of USD 4 per person) and to the Palm Sugar (that is actually stalls by the road sides). Get a tuk tuk, it's actually very near but we were told that it will take an hour. I think it is more relaxing to get breeze with the tuk tuk to the butterfly centre and palm sugar!

Anything else, try to get a tuk tuk driver that can speak YOUR language if possible. Be it French, English, Chinese. You will be amazed if some of them speak your language albeit in simple and that can help you in a big way. My driver actually act as a tour guide to my dad! That save me so much in showing my dad around.

So good day to you and hope my encounter helps you in your trip!

Good day,
Gary, C. Wong.

Room Tip: Be wise to check out the pricing for this time around, my partner found out the price was way apart...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank ctwon1
Reviewed November 2, 2012

The hotel is very convenient to both temples of Angkor Wat and the town of Siem Reap.
The bed rooms are large and very clean. The hotel has an excellent pool, great to relax in after a hot day visiting Angkor Wat.
All the staff were very helpfull and welcoming, with very good advise on where to go and how to get there.
The food, especially the breakfast buffet, was excellent. We would certainly stay there again.
Great value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms to the back, overlooking the pool, are quieter.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends