“Another Great Visit” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Frederick, Maryland USA
“Another Great Visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 23, 2007

My wife and I have stayed at the Shinta Mani three times in the past three years. Each time it just gets better and better. Working wtih the hotel, we have been involved in several of their community outreach programs as well as the Institute of Hospitality. We have found that the hotel offers so much more than the normal tourist site visits, not that Angkor Wat and the temples aren't important to your visit. However, if you want to experience the true Cambodia life style, arrange for the hotel to take you out to the villages to see the results of the water well project, provide box lunches to children that don't always know when they will eat again and be sure to see the sewing center at the local pagadoa where abused women are learning to sew, providing them with a new opportunity in life. These are the real values of life; seeing how life after the terrible death march of the Kremer Rouge, remains. Historians have said that it will take five generations for Cambodia to recover--the programs of the Shinta Mani may help reduce that time in the Siem Reap villages. The staff and the facility continue to mature in providing a "home away from home" for their guests and now exceed our greatest expectations. Stay at the Shinta Mani for a real feel of the Siem Reap community. You won't be disappointed. You can obtain all of the necessary hotel information from their web site.
Ted Nieman
Frederick, Maryland

• Liked — Convience to town, ambience of the facility and the hospitality of the staff.
  • Disliked — No Comment.
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
2 Thank CambodiaWeCare

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Manila, Philippines
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2007

I wish I heeded the previous review but I was awed by the socially responsible ethos of the property as publicised online. Indeed, Shanti Mani was more like home-stay, albeit a very large home. It reminds me of the grand colonial homes of Asia's old rich.

The good things first: the service, like in most of Siem Reap, is excellent. You are always welcomed with a smile. And after a long day in town or in the temples, it's a bit like coming home when you are welcomed with a fresh smile.

Ask the staff to arrange dinner reservations at an Aspara Theatre performance or a temple tour, and they promptly accomplish it. There is a sincere effort to make your stay pleasant - fresh coconut juice on arrival, a complimentary traditional Khmer scarf loomed by one of the community projects, lotus flowers on everything from the towels to the bed.

And then ..... the Real Score.

The room is very nice - if you stop thinking for a moment you are actually in a hotel and compare it instead to other guesthouses.

The walls, door, furniture and cupboard are starting to show their age. Other than the in-room safe, wi-fi and satellite TV, everything in the property looks old.

The three things that make my holiday were all missing: a nice bathroom, a tranquil spa, and a restaurant with a wide menu. The bathroom had old tiles, and the bath and counter were cracked. The commode made me cry - just old and stained. The spa was expensive and disappointing. It does not have the right ambience and I wonder if the "therapists" are students practising on me... not a re-assuring thought when I have just blown $120 to be pampered. Although the restaurant's few dishes are great, they are over priced for the town. One meal came up to 1/3rd of my accommodation!

And where should I start with the pool... it's small, it's laughable, and it's cloudy! The three days I stayed in a pool-side room, I never saw a single guest even dip their toes in the water. I couldn't wait to check out.

My only reason for booking into the hotel is their avowed community projects. I made my donation on top of my over-priced stay at the "hotel". Allow me to be selfish on my next trip when I book into a proper resort.

• Liked — Friendly service
  • Disliked — Value for money
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
5 Thank traveldiva888
Sausalito, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2007

We stayed at the Shinta Mani in October 2006. We picked the Shinta Mani for two reasons: #1) it appeared to be a beautiful hotel in Siem Reap - a wonderful place to stay while exploring the temples at Angkor Wat and #2) we had read about their Community Support Projects and their Hospitality Institute and wanted to support a hotel that gives back to their community. Our experience with Shinta Mani changed our lives!

First of all, the hotel is a charming, well run place. It is in a great location in Siem Reap. The grounds are beautiful - a nice "oasis" in the hustle of Siem Reap. Both the service and the food at the restaurant are excellent. The spa and spa services were amazing. Because of the hospitality institute within the hotel, ALL the staff were friendly, helpful and incredibly gracious. They will pick you up at the airport, help arrange private tours of the temples - whatever you need. One of the little things I loved was everytime we returned to the hotel after being out on a hot day, they would greet us with wonderfully scented, wet cold towels to cool off!!! (Always with a smile!) We enjoyed being at the hotel as much as we enjoyed exploring Siem Reap and Angkor Wat. My only regret is that we did not stay longer!

The Community Support Project was by far the best experience of our stay in Siem Reap. This is huge in that the temples of Angkor Wat are the most amazing sights we have ever seen in our travels. And for most, this is what you see/experience in Siem Reap. Through Shinta Mani's support project, however, we were able to "give" directly to the local villagers. My husband Jim turned 40 during our stay at Shinta Mani. Rather than showering him with gifts he didnt' need, we used those $$ to buy a fresh water drinking well to be built for a local family, bicycles and rice. The director of the program, Chitra, arranged for us to visit the village and meet our family that received the well. This well is the beginning of a new life for them - a life that for very little $$, we were able to give to them. Many Cambodians live on as little as $5 USD/month. Lack of fresh drinking water / water borne illness is still the major cause of death among children. And yet, for less than what we paid for a night at the hotel, we gave the gift of life. It was amazing. And it changed how I view the world. Cambodia and the Shinta Mani are lucky to have a woman like Chitra creating and running this program.

And you will be lucky if you stay there!!!

Stayed January 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank NancyLuna
Calgary, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2006

My husband and I stayed at the Shinta Mani for 3 nights this November. I believe our room (#211) was a Standard and not a Deluxe, but in my mind it was the best one. It was on the 2nd floor, quiet, with a view of the pool and it was a corner room so had the extra windows. It had a reading area just outside, which also had a computer for guests’ use. The rooms poolside are very close to the pool and did not seem private. I could see quite well into those people’s room as I lounged by the pool, despite the curtains being drawn. We only ate breakfast at the hotel which was very good (try the pain au chocolat if you can). We always ventured out for our suppers. The bathrooms could use a bit of updating in terms of décor, but they were clean and served their purpose.
Very friendly staff, beautiful surroundings, a pool that was certainly large enough for what we wanted to do which was COOL DOWN, relaxing massage at the end of a hard day at the temples – what more could you want? How about knowing that you support their Hospitality training program by just staying there?! Makes you feel pretty good doesn’t it? My husband and I made a further donation because we simply loved what they are doing to help Cambodians.

Stayed November 2006
3 Thank cdnabroad
Chicago, Illinois
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2006

We booked at stay at the Shinta Mani for 3 days during our honeymoon. Upon arrival, we were informed that our room was under renovation and there were no extra rooms. However, management put us up at Hotel de la Paix (their luxurious sister hotel) at no additional cost, and gave us the option to stay at the de la Paix for our entire trip at no additional cost. We chose to return to Shinta Mani b/c we liked their principle of giving back to the community and that NGOs hand-pick their staff from poor families w/in the community and train them in the service industry to give them more hope for the future.

That being said, we did encounter a few problems. The water temperature in the shower in our room was a little difficult to control - it would usually be scalding hot or on the cold side. On both nights, I awoke in the middle of the night and found that the water had been shut off. The power also went off briefly a couple of times. We were told by hotel staff that the King's son was going to be in town and that the water was shut off in all the city so repairs could be done before he arrived.

On a positive note, all of the staff is so nice and eager to please that you are not able to be mad at them! They also greet you w/ giant coconut drinks and scarves when you check-in. They remembered that it was our honeymoon and had scattered flower petals around the room and arranged flower petals spelling out "Happy Honeymoon" on the bed. That was a very sweet touch. It is a small, nice hotel w/ a good pool area and a relatively short walk (10-15 minutes) from the bars & restaurants in the middle of town.

If you book here, keep in mind that it is a training school, so it will not be the absolute perfect stay, but they have a good mission and good intentions. I would stay here again.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
Otley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2006

One of the benefits of staying at the Shinta Mani is that it is used to train students who wish to learn the hotel trade. These are often young people from less advantageos backgrounds who would not otherwise have the opportunity, and sometimes even children who were previously begging to support their families.

This does not mean, however, that standards are poor. We found the room, spa, pool and restaurant excellent. The staff were very helpful and overall I would reccomend this hotel.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2006

We spent ages trying to decide which hotel to stay in Seam Reap. We picked this one because they train locals into the hotel trade, they give something back to the community, and it seemed to be of a good standard. The hotel itself is beautiful, we were welcomed with coconuts to drink, and all given a scarf to put round our necks. Not quite sure why as it was very hot, but it was a nice touch.

The rooms are perfection, beautiful to walk into, everything is set out perfectly, and our room looked out onto a completely private green area. Wifi was available, very important to my husband.

The pool is small, but inviting. Poolside rooms were lovely too.

The breakfasts are all cooked to order, and very nice. Evening meals were a bit of a disappointment, they were very expensive, compared to almost everywhere else outside, and despite the menu sounding quite exciting, the food was mediocre. Suggest you eat out at night, if you are not totally exhausted.

• Liked — 5 Star