Shinta Mani Angkor
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
View Hotel
La Riviere d'Angkor Resort(Siem Reap)
  • Breakfast included
FCC Angkor(Siem Reap)
3,264 results
All reviewswelcome homekroya restaurantlarger pooljasmine scentedcold towelslocal communitytuk tukbeautiful hotelmoment you arriveboutique hotelmini barsister hotelmobile phonedeluxe roomamazing servicequiet streetpool side
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 29, 2009

We booked this hotel after reading about in in Grazia magazine. We were not disappointed.

It is in a convenient location, walking distance to the centre of Siem Reap and the rooms are extremely comfortable, with nice beds, sofa, TV, free wireless and air con. The pool area is small but sufficient, as most people spend the day at the temples. We probably spent more time at the hotel than most due to the fact I am pregnant and my husband was sick one day.

The spa is nice, but does seem expensive compared to other costs in Cambodia. A facial was $41 for 1.5 hours.

There is a lack of piping hot water in the shower, luke-warm is probably a better description, but that seemed to be the case everywhere we stayed in Cambodia, not just this hotel, and is really not a big issue when you see how many locals live.

The restaurant does a good breakfast with plenty of variety, and fabulous pastries, however for evening meals it again seems expensive compared to restaurants in Siem Reap centre. We ate here one night, and two bowls of pasta, a fruit juice, some water and a fruit salad was $31, which was our most expensive (and not our best!) meal.

The staff are fabulous and cannot be faulted for their good manners and graciousness. They are attentive and polite and all have a good command of English. They work extremely hard and seem proud to be working. The Cambodian people are all lovely, we have nothing but fond memories of them and good things to say.

We arranged a variety of trips, some direct with tuk-tuk drivers, one through the hotel and another with the official Angkor guide group. All were good. The tuk-tuk drivers all speak a good level of English and know their way around well. The one we booked direct was fine, and told us that many drivers do not like the bookings through the hotels as much as direct ones, since they can wait up to a month to be paid for the days work by the hotel (the hotel puts the trip on your bill and you settle at check out). They have fronted the cost of fuel etc so it can be a long wait for them. I have no idea if this is the case at the Shinta Mani, but I would suggest approaching a driver directly for any trips you would like to so without a guide.

We would definitely stay at the Shinta Mani again and would have no hesitation in recommending it. The rooms are worth the money, and even if they do seem more expensive than other hotels, it is worth it as you are doing a fabulous thing for the staff at this hotel, and really making a difference.

1  Thank AmyDHK
gmsm, General Manager at Shinta Mani Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded February 16, 2009

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to know that you enjoyed your stay with us.

I would like to answer with regarding the payment for drivers. I cannot speak on behalf of other hotels, but can assure you that all drivers and Tour Guides get paid every saturday at our hotel. We process payments weekly. But some time I have noticed that they are busy and they come few days later to collect their payemnts. Never have we delayed payments to any drivers or Tour guides.

With regard to our Spa being more expensive, its because of the products we use. Our spa products are of good quality and as you may know good products are not cheap.

Reviewed January 29, 2009

A delightful place to stay - not too big which ensured good quality attention to detail and personal attention to guests.
Clean, excellent facilities, beautiful spa/pool area, excellent restaurant with a varied menu.
The fact that the hotel/spa supports a training programme for young adults who are disadvantaged and want to train for the hospitality industry made this hotel even more attractive - it is a way of supporting the development of the country.

1  Thank Travelgranny5
Reviewed January 26, 2009

My husband and I were really looking forward to our stay at Shinta Mani, but unfortunately, it missed the mark. The website made the rooms look heavenly, but, in fact, our deluxe room was very ordinary and not just a little tired. The over-anxious staff were very nice, but not terribly efficient. Shinta Mani is a training hotel, so we did not expect perfection. We were not happy, however, when they failed to wake us for our early flight. Luckily we had settled the bill the night before. The last words they spoke to us as we raced off in our cab were, "What about the minibar!!!!" I think a little more training would be in order.

2  Thank BoulderMary
Reviewed December 16, 2008

Only spent one night here, but would definitely come back. Great atmosphere, pleasant staff, clean rooms, and a tranquil air about it that is a welcome respite from the heat and dust of exploring the temples.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank m0xie_8
Reviewed December 8, 2008

My husband, me and three friends just stayed at this hotel for 4 days and have an an amazing experience! The staff are so helpful and genuinely kind! My husband and I had won a free night through a Charity Auction in Hong Kong (let me point our how charitable they were to donate a free night stay to this charity). For $100 USD per night, we had a huge room, extremely comfortable beds, big fluffy comforters and wonderful fluffy pillows...blissful really. The aircon worked well. The wire-less internet connection works in every room, and we had a huge TV. Each day, they delivery 4 free bottles of water for you to use! Most hotels nowadays charge you for it.

The staff are so thoughtful. Three years ago some guests saw how poor the local people were and so they asked the staff to take them to a village so they could donate some clothes, so the hotel has since begun a charity leg to their operation. Though they do not solicit this fact, I heard about it through a friend. So when we came, I gathered two huge duffel bags filled with kids clothing, toothbrushes, shampoos, toothpastes, wash clothes, soaps and little toys for the villages. When I asked the hotel if they knew where we could distribute it all, they immediately said that they would take us to a place where we could make a huge difference. They took us to the poorest villages so that we could physically put the clothes on the children (who were all half naked, filthy and living well below the poverty level). While my husband and I distributed the clothes to these beautiful, gracious and truly grateful children, the hotel staff had brought huge bags filled with beautiful breads and bread rolls which they made sandwiches out of for the children, who were very hungry too.

After that, they took us to some of their charity projects where we saw they had built 100's of water wells for families, which improved the standard of their lives considerably. They also showed us homes (metal shacks) for the homeless, who would be dead without the shacks and who were so thankful and grateful! Then they stopped to buy produce from the local farmers they'd helped so again, they were helping sustain the projects by buying their products as well!

We have had the most wonderful time staying at this hotel. We also had their massages and yes, they're more expensive than getting one outside, but you get clean sheets, beautiful aromatherapy oils used on your body, skilled massage therapists, beautiful music and treatment like any 4 star hotel....so you get what you pay for. I don't think ANY hotel would let you bring in your 'massage therapist' into their respectable establishment and I for one would not like to stay at a place where I had to witness such behavior. There are plenty of 'massage parlors' catering to such needs... This hotel takes very poor children who would otherwise not have any opportunities and offers them a free place into their hospitality program, teach them about the field, and them employ them! Charging more for their food and massages enables them to sustain such generous programs. So we were very happy to contribute by paying for their clean, beautiful food and wonderful massages!

My husband and I usually stay at 5 star resorts and we HIGHLY recommend this hotel to anyone visiting Cambodia. It's a hotel that cares about quality, their guests and the community! Their sustainable projects added so much to our holiday.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple