“B & D Dunn”
Review of Shinta Mani Angkor

Shinta Mani Angkor
Ranked #13 of 376 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Shinta Mani Hotel is a pearl in Siem Reap. Charming staff - excellent cuisine & walking distance to many places of interest, my wife & I had an excellent stay there and if we can manage to return to Siem Reap would not stay anywhere else, we highly recommend it

Room Tip: there are two floors so if you don't like stairs get a ground floor room
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,170)

Reviewed September 1, 2013

I had such a wonderful vacation here in Shinta mani. People working there were great and they always welcomed us with warm smile. I liked the ambience, the aroma smell that's spread in the lobby and they cleaned the room twice a day which was wonderful as well. I stayed in Shinta mani club and thought the pool was a little bit small but we could use the pool in Shinta mani resort which was fabulous. They have a big nice pool. I would definitely stay here again when i come back here in Siem reap.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed September 1, 2013

I stayed in Shinta Mani for 3 nights over a long weekend in Singapore Aug 8-11th. I came to understand the hotel has been open for a year & a half after its refurbishment/renovation in which I think a fantastic job has been done. While emulating the style of the temples (concentric doors and long walls with only one entrance), a number of pretty touches have also been added such as pictures of the temples or a plan of the temple complex on the ceilings. In our room, 120 there was a picture of the roots of Ta Phrom enveloping a temple. It was very nice to lie in bed and look up at it. Our room at the end of the main corridor which was really well decorated with art pieces and brightly coloured orange furniture (like the monk's orange robes). The room was large and comfortable, with a proper table at the end for if you wanted to dine in the room. Bathroom was a little on the small side but pretty adequate.

Breakfast in the hotel was an excellent experience, a great pleasure being able to choose your main breakfast from an a la carte "hot" menu, and having other options at the buffet. A particular favourite of mine was the porridge/congee that's on the buffet, you get to put all the condiments you like and make it taste exactly the way you want it to! I guess for Western guests it would be useful to indicate what each condiment is, as Asians we're very familiar with what they are. I also really love the big swings that you get to sit on while dining, in the day it is a quiet street so you don't get too much hustle and instead you enjoy a peaceful start to the day on the swing.

The resort across Shinta Mani Club will be interesting once it's up and running, a good combination between both.

The staff speak excellent English, especially the senior staff who clearly have been in the industry for a while. Everyone is smiling and polite. Even the tuk tuk driver employed by Shinta Mani, whom we hired for the day to take us around the temples spoke really good English and gave us good historical overviews from outside the temple although he could not go into the temples with us as he was not licensed. I thought his English was even better than the guide we actually booked on the second day.

In terms of location, it's an easy walk to the National Museum - which i highly recommend after 3 days of visiting the temples, the historical overview that puts the timeline of all the temples together very cohesively. It's also an easy walk to the main 'town' / restaurant area of Siem Reap, though I never walked as it was rainy and there were puddles everywhere.

At the end of the trip, we had to check out punctually because the hotel was booked solid for 9 days straight. We enjoyed a fantastic massage at the well-appointed spa to pass the time, ending the holiday on a fantastic note!

Room Tip: If you want a room right at the pool go for a Deluxe Room in the Shinta Mani Club. Otherwise all roo...
3  Thank Ying Yi H
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We recently stayed at Shita Mani in Siem Reap, what a treat. It is a deluxe boutique accommodation at a very affordable price. Everything about the place was superb, the rooms are very tastefully appointed with awesome facilities, the restaurant was a treat, I loved the location, walking distance to all the towns action. Of course the most important aspect of any hotel is the service and this was faultless.

1  Thank Victor B
Reviewed August 31, 2013

The hotel service is really excellent. Guest could enjoy many choices yummy Breakfast before start the day trip. We enjoy a very comfortable spa and massage after visiting . Sincerely recommend this hotel to guys who want to visit siem. :)

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank dohdohcat
Reviewed August 30, 2013

Shinta Mani is up there with the best hotel experiences I've had. The very friendly and helpful staff made the stay most enjoyable. Their english is better than a lot of 5 star hotel chains in other parts of the world, and all staff engage in conversations and are willing to teach local words and phrases. The decor is beautiful...modern and stylish yet absolutely comfortable. The location is quiet, yet only a short walk from the main city area. A wonderful compliment to a great hotel is the development centre which provides education and careers to locals...very commendable in a developing city.
I highly recommend Shinta Mani to the tourist, honeymooner, business traveller...everyone!!!! I will stay here again for certain!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I've stayed at many big five star hotels and a number of up-market boutique hotels and Shinta Mani is up there with the best. I stayed in the Shinta Mani Club part of the hotel which is smaller and more boutique than the Shinta Mani Resort directly across the road. I checked out the resort which also looked stylish and modern. It has a much bigger pool which Club residents can use as an alternative to the lap pool in the Club. (We were more than happy with the club pool and used it for our entire stay).

Stylish:
The whole hotel from reception to public areas to the rooms has a feel of modern simplicity. Extremely stylish without sacrificing comfort. It appeared to me that the design very cleverly and subtly references the surrounding temples in a modern and clean-lined way.

The bathroom was great, including an enormous shower area with a rain-head shower.

Rooms had a large LCD TV and sound system with an Ipod dock.

The brand new resort section of the hotel (it had only been opened a week when we arrived) has been designed to compliment the Club and has the same stylish look, albeit larger.

Service:
Choose your own favourite superlatives: the service here outdoes any 5 star hotel I have stayed in. Sure the staff are attentive in most quality hotels but this one really surpassed anything I have experienced. There is an incredible gentleness about the Cambodian people and this was reflected in the service we received. Every contact accompanied by a warm and friendly smile (never a service-weary expectation). Staying at the smaller club for a week meant staff got to know us and even attempted to encourage our appalling Khmer language skills. We looked forward to our return from the temples or town each day to be welcomed by a friendly and familiar face with a cold towel as we disembarked our car or tuk-tuk.

Managers also went out of their way each day to come and say hello when they would see us and enquire about our travels and to provide advice if required.

The day I arrived i went to reception to check out how I might contact another hotel where some other friends were staying. The manager offered and then rang the hotel on his mobile. My offer to have it charged to my room was waved off with a friendly smile. Another day he covered our lunch when, after we had sat down and ordered, a road crew unexpectedly started some road works. The noise only lasted 5 minutes and we were too focussed on our cocktails and photos to notice. But it was typical of the attentive service we received.

When we came down to reception on the morning of our trip to Angkor Wat for sunrise a pot of coffee, croissants and pain au chocolat was waiting for a quick 4.30am snack before we collected our breakfast boxes to head out.

Restaurant and Bars:
The food was delicious and very well priced. As a comparator - a standard club sandwich by the pool or restaurant was $8 (US). The balance of Western and local food on the menu was good. We ate out most nights for the variety and to experience a wider selection of local food, but were still tempted to quite a few leisurely lunches at the resort.

The restaurant has internal and external seating. The external seating includes large swinging day beds (seat four) and many an hour was spent here grazing and drinking.

The poolside bar at the club and the upstairs bar both mixed a wide range of cocktails and had a good selection of wines. Food was available at the bar and pool. Again the service was great.

Every time we sat by the pool we were provided a complimentary watermelon juice ice-block and large glasses of water were regularly replenished. I long for one of those icy-poles as I type!

Location:
Great spot for a relaxed stay with access to everything. There were four of us staying at this location and we had some other friends who stayed in the centre of town near Pub Street. That area was too loud for my liking. You could walk from Shinta Mani to Pub Street (it is around 8 large blocks away) but a tuk-tuk (always available outside the hotel) only costs $2 each way.

The Foreign Correspondents Club is just around the corner as an alternative for a social drink or bite to eat and the hotel is situated on the way out of town toward the main temples.

Temples:
A Tuk-Tuk from the hotel out to the main temples is $12 for a half day. We did a combination of exploring with a tuk-tuk on our own and 2 days with a guide through a big tour company. The combination was good as you get a different experience with each.

I stayed for a week with my three friends arriving after the first 3 days.

Most people only spend 2-3 days in Siem Reap to explore Angkor Wat and the other temples and you see them racing through. The temples really are spectacular and well worth spending more time at if you can. I enjoyed taking a tuk-tuk out for just a few hours and spending it all at just one or two temples knowing that I could come back day after day without rushing. Having said that, having a guide for 2 very full days gave us a great deal more information about the temples and insight into the life of recent and contemporary Cambodia. It is well worth heading out of town with a guide to Boeng Malea and Banteay Srei. The first overgrown and green, the second delicately carved and pink.

My partner was unable to make this trip, but I am determined we will return together to this wonderful hotel for at least 10 days to visit the temples together but with plenty of time to spend exploring more of the area and enjoying the comforts of this most perfect of boutique hotels.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends