“This is much more than just a great hotel ..........”
Review of Shinta Mani Angkor

Shinta Mani Angkor
Ranked #14 of 384 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed July 4, 2013

We travel quite a bit, but we rarely get around to writing reviews of places we've stayed. But we've decided that we'd really like to share our wonderful experience at this amazing little hotel in Siem Reap.

A couple of weeks ago were searching TripAdvisor for small, boutique-style accommodation in Siem Reap for a few days; however, our first couple of choices were booked out. A friend in Vietnam then suggested Shinta Mani; we hadnt noticed iat on any of the usual popular hotel websites.

We are absolutely delighted with our experience and are so glad we stayed there. In the future, if and when we return to Siem Reap, we will most definitely book to stay at Shinta Mani once again.

It's not just the excellent location - in the heart of old Siem Reap, five minutes walk along the river path from Old Market.

It's not just the stunning decor and brilliant architecture - the hotel design evokes the styles encountered at Angkor Wat and Angkor Thom.

And it's not just the wonderful five star service provided by the always smiling, unfailingly attentive, young staff.

What sets Shinta Mani apart from almost every other place we've stayed is what guests will learn - if they enquire - about the origins and purpose of the hotel. It is owned and operated by the Shinta Mani Foundation ("Good Heart" in Khmer), not for making profit, but for making a difference to the lives of Cambodian people.

It turns out that SMF is a long-established Cambodian NGO that recruits young people from poor families in rural areas of Cambodia, provides education and tuition in English, provides training in all aspects of hospitality industry - and then provides employment.

But when you stay at Shinta Mani you'll discover all this yourself, as you meet various staff members, chat to them, and hear their stories. And like us, you'll be amazed when you wander upstairs and come upon the SMF Training Centre, where you'll meet hopeful young Cambodians studying English language, hospitality, accounting, cookery, etc.

So when you stay at this particular hotel, you are contributing to Cambodia not just through tourism - but you're also directly assisting Cambodian people and their families to have a secure and stable future.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (3,200)

Reviewed July 4, 2013

This hotel is, without any doubt, one of the best hotels I've ever visited in my life. Sure, the place is as artistically impressive as everybody else has mentioned, the food is good and the decor the very definition of good taste, however, what really separates this hotel from everything, everything else, is the service.

The owner is always around. I don't know how he does it, but you will walk into him multiple times a day, and he will make sure every aspect of your vacation time there is perfect.

The staff go well above the call of duty to make sure you have everything you need. I will give three examples:

1. We were a big group, and one day we decided to visit Angkor Wat in the early morning (4:00am) Well, the staff was waiting for us with breakfast boxes for us to take along!

2. As a photographer, I wanted to visit some nearby association and photograph its members. The staff knew about it and offered to call them to make an appointment on my behalf. Not only they made my afternoon with the association easy and efficient, it probably wouldn't have been possible at all without their help.

3. On my last day, I was taking a night flight. Two different staff members immediately offered me to keep my room as long as I needed (which was until around 8:00pm on the checkout date)

In short, everything good they say about this place is true. If you go to Siem Reap, do yourself a favor and stay at Shinta Mani.

Room Tip: Higher floors have really good balconies.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I stayed at Shinta Mani in Mid-May and absolutely love this boutique hotel, wonderful experience if you visit exotic destination like Siem Reap, staying at Shinta Mani gives you a sense of relaxing atmosphere after a long day of visit to the Angkor Wat!
I especially appreciate their hotel staff carrying a big smile with them all the time – a nice designed hotel room is important, and Shinta Mani has got it no doubt, but above all service is what I care the most, which is what makes a hotel stand out and excel, I am really happy with Shinta Mani staff’s excellent service and will definitely introduce my friends to stay there.
A hidden gem in Siem Reap!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 3, 2013

My family and I stayed at this lovely gem of a hotel at the end of June. We were greeted with cold jasmine-scented towels and seated by the pool for check in. The hotel is a gorgeous mix of modern and traditional. The service is beyond compare; a large staff catered to our every need.
When the first morning we left at 5:00 for a tour of Angkor Wat, we had coffee and croissants in the lobby. We thought that was the breakfast offered. The next morning we set out later and were ushered to the restaurant. The restaurant had a buffet of tropical fruits, breads, yogurt, cereal, as well as Cambodian breakfast (congee and fried noodles). They also gave us a menu to order eggs, pancakes, and more. All this was included in the price of our hotel room.
My room was comfortable and nicely decorated, and the bed was heavenly.
We also loved the fact that the hotel is a training facility for village youth to learn about working in the hotel and food industry. The workers were so friendly and seemed genuinely happy to be assisting us.
Perfect little hotel!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Santa S
Reviewed July 3, 2013

We had been recommended the Hotel de la Paix by a friend who is a discerning traveller - but found it closed and in the process of being taken over by the Hyatt - then saw the Shinta Mani on the website and chose it based on the description. From the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome and valued guests - nothing was too much trouble, but the service was not intrusive. The General Manager welcomed us and took time to check later that all was well. Great attention to detail and consistently high standards. I am a very frequent traveller in SE Asia, based in Singapore but have not encountered better attention to service elsewhere. The location is generally quiet, but close enough to livelier areas by foot or tuk-tuk. We will certainly stay here again!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BrandaneBangkok
Reviewed July 3, 2013

I recently stayed at Shinta Mani with my young son and daughter. It was a wonderful experience for all of us and, I must say, one of the nicest hotels that I have ever stayed in. It is aesthetically beautiful with the atmosphere as serene as the surrounding temples of Siem Reap. What overwhelmed me the most is how they treated my Cambodian friends when they came to visit us. They were made to feel as welcome as we were and were treated with utmost respect and friendliness. I think this says more about a hotel than the size of a pool which, by the way, was more than adequate.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 2, 2013

Admittedly the Shinta Mani is a several notches above the level I usually stay in, so my experience at this level is limited. But this is, with no question, the finest hotel I've stayed in. Siem Real probably has more 5 star properties per capita than any other city in Asia so the competition at this level is fierce. We were traveling in a group of 11. Our group was met by the hotel's owner and our bags whisked to the rooms before we got to our rooms. (I'm sure they have a system, but I don't know what it is. No one ever saw me carrying my bag and it doesn't have a name tag on it but somehow it ended up in the right room.)

The rooms are beautifully appointed and the beds are the most comfortable I've slept in in Asia (where mattresses come in two varieties, hard and rock hard). The staff is exceptional - every single person greeted me with a big smile and "good morning," "good afternoon" or whatever was appropriate. The restaurant is quite good and breakfast is excellent. There is a smallish, very pleasant pool and pool side bar with limited food service.

We left very early one morning for Angkor (5:00AM) and the hotel had excellent boxed breakfasts (fruit, yogurt and pastries) waiting for us as we filed out to our tuk-tuks for the pre-dawn ride to Angkor Wat. We did not order the breakfasts - the hotel prepared them knowing we were leaving early.

This is a hotel I can recommend without hesitation for travelers who expect a high level of excellence in their lodging.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business