“Perfect place to stay while visiting Siem Reap”
Review of Shinta Mani Angkor

Shinta Mani Angkor
Ranked #16 of 374 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed at Shinta Mani for four nights in late February while visiting Siem Reap and the Angkor Temples. Our stay could not have been better. The decor is lovely, the rooms are extremely comfortable and clean, and the customer service was exemplary. We ordered room service one night and lunch around the pool on a couple occasions. The food was consistently excellent and inexpensive. Christian, the manager, made us feel like old friends and the rest of the staff were attentive, polite, and more than willing to help us with everything from reservations, to shopping and touring recommendations. We encountered a problem with the wifi, but that was fairly quickly resolved. I'd have to agree with other reviewers that the concrete flooring in the pool area can be very slippery when wet so be careful. I'd also agree that the breakfast options are somewhat limited but the food was good and more than enough to satisfy us. All in all, it was a lovely stay at a very comfortable, well located hotel. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main floor around the pool may not offer good views. Ask for a room on the second floor...
8  Thank KJBentham
Write a ReviewReviews (3,144)

Reviewed March 14, 2013

Our experience could not have been better. From the beautiful Zen decor of the hotel to the superlative customer service- the staff knew our names and were there to take care of our every need with a smile- we felt like we found an exquisite respite from the city. We were spoiled and pampered from the moment we checked in. The spa was amazing and again thoughtful touches make the experience special. The delicious lemongrass tea with homey and the cold towels to soothe us after being out in 95 degree heat were 2 of our favorite things This hotel was reasonable priced for a 5 start hotel. We would highly recommend it to anyone visiting
Siem Reap

Room Tip: The suites are lovely but all rooms are quite nice. Choose a non city view if possible
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank UnaEl
Reviewed March 8, 2013

I have been staying at the Shinta Mani since 2008. Recently, it underwent extensive renovations and I experienced the "new" Shinta Mani for the 1st time in February of 2013. The excellent staff, attention to detail and gracious welcoming atmosphere all surpassed my already high expectations. In addition to expanding the hotel for their guests, Shinta Mani also invested equally in their non profit foundation work through the Shinta Mani Foundation. The newly designed hotel includes spacious classrooms for their educational development and other programs. The general manager Christian, was a perfect host and Chitra Vincent, the executive director of the foundation, is a force behind the scenes for all of the fantastic work Shinta Mani is doing for the community. Knowing that the hotel is giving back in such a positive manner makes every stay there that much better. I always get the sense that they are more than a business, they are a family looking out for one another. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to Cambodia and urge everyone to learn about the SM Foundation during their visit!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
6  Thank Heather1122
Reviewed March 7, 2013

I booked this hotel without checking first the Trip Advisor comments. It's not a bad place, but I think some comments are based on the wow impression of the building and decoration rather than on actual hotel facilities.

The hotel is beautiful, of course. The entrance is hidden and it gives you this feeling of secret and exclusive place. Reception lobby is impressive, decor and details are fantastic and lighting is carefully studied. Room decoration is very nice, materials chosen are beautiful and it all works seamlessly except the generator, as Siem Reap was with no electricity for many days and obviously they could not run the generator too many hours... although other hotels did. And hey, it is not conveniente to be out of power when you want to relax in your room.

And that's basically it, as I cannot judge service as I didn't ask for anything exceptional.

Rooms are small, and you may get a room with no view at all, if ever with no window (those on ground floor). Bathrooms are nice but ridiculously small, and no amenities further than usual soap, gel, shampoo and body lotion are provided. No bathtub but a large shower with nice tiles (decor is nice, as mentioned). Towels average, only two per person plus face towel. Great iPod dock with good sound system, you may feel embarrased to use it as it may disturb other guests (subwoofer). It took me quite a while to make my iPhone sound there (room comes with a cd of old fashioned romantic songs that you've heard thousand times and don't match with the feeling). Aircon with no remote control. All the rest in the room, as normal as in any other place. Beds are comfortable, though, and that's a very good thing.

Breakfast was ridiculous with very limited choice of quite average quality items. Service needs improvement there, I felt left alone as it happened I arrived just behind some English couple which the staff liked. I was asked twice within one minute if I wanted more coffee, when it had just been served, they need to talk to each other. Sitting inside means too cold, sitting outside means being on the street. They have some kind of lounge floating beds, I find it quite bizarre to have breakfast like laying on a bed and the upholstery didn't feel that clean. But it was the products offered what pulled me out of that room, when you compare with other hotels. I don't need Champagne, but just quality and a bit of exceptional products matching the exceptional decor. It was a 3 star breakfast of a 3 star city hotel.

The pool is just too small, and the bar by the pool just forget about it. Main issue, though, is the concrete floor which is extremely slippery when wet (and when you get out of the pool you are generally wet), and is not soft when falling onto it. You need to be very careful there if you don't want to break a bone. Difficult to get any sunshine by the pool, as too cramped by buildings. Salty water, be careful not to accidentally drink any, but definitely better feeling than chlorine pools. Amazingly, there is no impressive lighting by the pool at nights, when it all could look much better than what it does.

Didn't try restaurant, didn't try Spa, didn't tray something else the receptionist tried to explain upon arrival but I could not understand what it was about.

With all the offer in Siem Reap, it is a bit hard to recommend this place. Maybe young people looking for the wow effect of the design and easy to be impressed will like it. For a high end experience, pay more and stay at Orient-Express or Victoria, or pay much more and go for the best: Raffles and Aman. I think this hotel has put too many rooms in a small space and too many design items, forgetting about the basics. Maybe in a big European city it would be very much successful (I would love to see this in Paris), but in Siem Reap I needed something else.

Room Tip: Get high floor, obviously, much better and come with balcony
10  Thank Campanu
Beatrice B, General Manager at Shinta Mani Angkor, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2013

dear CAMPANU,

Thank-you for the comments regarding your recent stay with us here in Siem Reap. I am indeed pleased to learn that you have appreciated our Bill Bensley designed property. Shinta Mani Siem Reap prides itself of being an upscale 4.5* Boutique Hotel with a 5*roomproduct

Unfortunately during your stay Siem Reap experiences a complete black-out with the city receiving only 10% of its normal electricity. This resulted in rolling blackouts throughout our village for a period of 5 days. The reason for this blackout was an accident involving a truck on the road between Siem Reap and Poipet

Shinta Mani Hotel has been operating with the assistance of a generator for all this period. To follow safety guidelines we have to let the generator cool itself down on a regular basis. Whilst this is an inconvenience for our guests it is difficult to avoid. We chose to turn the generator therefore off at 2 specific times of the day. This practice is in line with other on generator operated hotels

10.30 am - 11.30 am - most guests are at the temple complex
16.30 pm - 17.30 pm - the heat of the day is gone whilst there still is sufficient daylight

At all other hours our generator has provided sufficient electricity to warrant a normal operation and no inconvenience to any of our guests

Our staff did place a letter from myself inside each of the rooms and has verbally informed as many of our guests as possible. I am however sorry that this information doesn't seem to have reached you

Breakfast
I am surprised about your comments re breakfast since we have both a buffet selection aswell as an a-la-carte menu for the hot items (eggs Benedict, scrambled eggs etc). All pastry items are baked on property by our team of chef's. Breakfast is a vital meal of the day and we have put a lot of energy into this ensuring its indeed top-of-the-range

Rooms
With regards to our rooms; again this is something in which we pride ourselves. Ofcourse ALL of our rooms have a large window. In fact all of our rooms have in addition to the large window a small private garden or a balcony. The ground floor rooms (each and every one) have an outdoor area aswell. I have to agree with the fact that our airconditioning doesnt have a remote-control but an individual wall mounted control panel.

Pool
With only 39 rooms our pool is sufficient for a good dip and cool down after a long and sweaty day. The pool is 23 meters long and 5 meters wide. It is indeed a salt water pool for which we receive a lot of compliments

The other points you raised in your review are of a personal taste matter and therefor difficult to explain. We each have our own taste and whilst a lot of our guests specifically book us because of 1) our Bill Bensley design, 2) our boutique style, 3) our Shinta Mani Foundation and 4) our community programmes or 5) our now famous hanging day beds this isnt to each and everyones taste ofcourse

The design of Shinta Mani Hotel Siem Reap has widely been recognized and awarded a lot of praise for the amount of detail the designer displayed when reflecting our location (Siem Reap) and philosophy of "Open doors, open hearts" .

Reading your review & since I was on-property for at least 13 hours each day, I would have loved to have been given the opportunity to either explain or deal with any of the experiences you have described ensuring a more positive stay

I truly hope you have enjoyed your Cambodia experience tho and I hope to be able to welcome you back to Siem Reap

Christian
Christian de Boer
Shinta Mani Siem Reap

Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a lovely hotel, although the surroundings are a bit bleak. The bar and pool area are a bit enclosed but a beer can be had at the restaurant, though we thought the latter a tad expensive compared to the competition. About 10/15 minutes slow walk to the town, if you want to go there.

1  Thank Kim34
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I really enjoyed this hotel a lot. I went with 5 other friends from Hong Kong and this hotel was a perfect choice for us. When we arrived the manager met us along with the staff. We had cool, fragrant wet towels upon every arrival. Our rooms were always in great shape. The beds were very comfortable. The pillows were too fat for my liking but they were great quality.
Bath amenities were great quality and we had everything we needed - and more. Shower was splendid. It was a rain shower type with a huge, elegant shower.
The swimming pool was steps from my room and I swam each evening. The pool was a beautiful, modern lap pool and the surrounding area was very tranquil. They even had a semi-private meeting area by the pool with a huge daybed and chairs + a ceiling fan. We sat there and drank wine together one afternoon. Great little discovery.
The breakfast buffet was excellent (get scrambled eggs rather than an omelet, best I've ever had and a double shot latte because the coffee isn't strong) Once when we got up at 5am to see the sunrise at Angkor Wat we were surprised to see a large coffee tray in the reception area with bread and fresh coffee. They even had to-go cups. Very civilized and personal service.
I would definitely stay here again. Loved it. The staff were perfect.

Room Tip: My room was no. 105 and it was along the corridor where people passed getting to the pool and relaxi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank RebeccaW803
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We stayed at the Shinta Mani for four nights whilst touring Angkor Wat-- and it was an absolutely wonderful experience. The staff were what made the stay-- warm, professional, what I would expect from a 5* property (they anticipated our needs, remembered our preferences, knew our names, etc). Very good food & massage. Having drinks on their swinging tables at night was a perfect cap to the day. They also run a foundation that supports the local community (mobile clinics, education), which just made us love this hotel even more. We couldn't recommend it enough. In fact, much better service than at Song Saa, where we also stayed (and payed much, much more for!) I still dream about their peppered banana chips!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple