“Great place to stay to visit Angkor Wat”

Pavillon Indochine Hotel
Ranked #67 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed March 1, 2013

We arrived late night and were surprised by the warm welcome of the hotel staff, clean and chilled rooms (even it was abour +36C° and humid outside). The pool was sparking and waiting for us to stretch our bodies from the long flight. Hotel provides you massages, which were even better then the once we had in Thailand!
Our intention to see Angkor Wat from the seat of the bike was not the best idea, so hotel arranged for us friendly driver with a tuk-tuk who took us where-ever we wanted to. And always had a fresh watter ready for us upon our return.
Food is great in this hotel and we enjoyed every night different specialty with a glass of white.

We will always return, if we can :-)

Room Tip: we liked the rooms on the upper floor
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 25, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights over Christmas 2012 and couldn't say enough about the hotel. Booked direct through their website and had fast communication. Loved that they offer the $10 extra per night to have a reliable tuk tuk driver on hand from sunrise to 9pm which took the hassle out of bargaining for a tuk tuk all the time. Room was large, super clean, great pool to relax by and all the staff were lovely. I enjoyed staying out of the centre of Siem Reap (but easy 10 minute tuk tuk trip into town for dinner each evening). The only negative I would say is that I wouldn't recommend the inhouse spa massage, the girls still need a lot more training as it was a waste of money.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Lets starts with the cons. The water from the bathroom smells has a rusty smell. When toilet's flushed you see dust in the water. And you have to wait few more minutes before watergoes down after taking a shower.

Other than these minor water probs. Everything is ok.

We stayed in a family suite that could probably fit a family of 5 or even 10. We had 1 queen bed and 2 huge standard beds plus an extra sofa bed. We also have 2 baths so waiting is the least of our probs. The room is extra huge so was thankful to have 2 split type ACs plus 2 extra ceiling fans so its a plus to have a cold rokm during this time of the year as Siem Reap is approaching summer season.

Food is ok. They served mostly the same thing everyday such as bacon and eggs plus a lot of fruits. Love their croissant, tastes really good.

As for transportation, you may ask the hotels for recommendations. We paid our van $35 to take us around Siem Reap and Angkor Wat plus other temples. For tuktuk we paid $15. Its a bit pricey probably bcoz its peak season. Was able to get a tuktuk from Siddharta and we paid only USD5 for roundtrip from hotel to old narket.

They offer in house massage which is a bit expensive compared to others. Paid $8 when we found $5 in spas near Pub St.

All in all I'd still recommennd this placd. Very peaceful and quiet.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed February 19, 2013 via mobile

We spent 3 nights at this hotel. We were arrange by car to pick up and very warm welcome of driver with our name. Great staffs with always smile and welcoming, great foods and lovely pool, overall was perfect for us. We use tuc tuc with driver and we go anywhere we wish. We will be back!!,

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I spent six nights at the Pavillon Indochine and it served our needs perfectly well. The room was a bit worn but clean and fully functional. The fridge sounded like and old lawn mower but we could easily fix this by unplugging it for the night. We were on the upper floor, somewhat away from the action and noise of the swimming pool, which is a bit too close to the ground floor rooms to my taste. Great for people with children, though, almost like having their own pool in their front yard.
Breakfast was OK, although nothing special, the same fare every day. A selection of sliced fruits (banana, pineapple, mango, water melon and papaya), croissants and an egg station, plus fried rice or fried noodle. In addition they served a small jar of home-made yoghurt and some slices of bread.
We had several meals in the small restaurant. Again, just as breakfast, nothing special but good enough and at reasonable prices. Other times we asked the reception to book tables for us for dinners in town, which they did very effectively.
One of the best features of the hotel is its location. On the northern end of the city, it's closer to the ruins than most other establishment, saving an extra 20-30 minutes of travel time in the morning and in the evening. Another winning feature is that the rooms come with the exclusive use of a tuk-tuk. The same driver was waiting for us every morning and was ready to take us anywhere within a certain range. We found it very convenient.
The only element that we very much disliked is that the hotel tried to overcharged us in every possible way. The had the simple tricks of incorrectly adding up the items on the bill or writing higher prices for items, and they had more sophisticated tricks as well. One of the receptionist ladies was especially clever, trying to explain how the charge for a trip advertised at US$25 would come out US$40 after a 15-dollar discount. Unfortunately for her I am a mathematician so she could not fool me but I suspect some other people have fallen for the trick. I must say tough that these attempts didn't have a significant negative impact on our stay, on the contrary. After a while we were laughing at the various attempts and even tried to anticipate new tricks. I believe that there might be others who would find these practice more upsetting.
Overall we had a good time at the Pavillon and would not hesitate to stay there again.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LVarro
DOH So M, Manager at Pavillon Indochine Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 3, 2013

Dear Clients,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel. We are delighted to hear that you have had a good time during your recent stay.

Thank you also for making some useful comments, in fact we replaced the fridge in your room. Also we would like to take the opportunity to ask our future clients to inform us immediately during their stay if there is any issue with our services or with our hotel's facilities or amenities. Our goal is to make sure that every single client enjoys their stay in our premises and in Siem Reap.

I would like to make some points in relation to the insinuations you made which hurt my staff and personally myself. I understand that the opinions expressed in TripAdvisor are anonymous which doesn't mean that they have to be irresponsible by treating my staff as thieves! Let me explain what exactly happened.

The first time you came to eat in our restaurant, the bill to sign carried a mistake of 10 USD in our favor. We immediately apologized and corrected the total. In addition we admonished the waitress, but you must know that many of our staff do not have a high school education and generally have been trained by us. In her case three months ago she was a house keeper and recently promoted. I'd like to state the all bills are signed by customers and kept.

The second mistake of 50 cents was made by an another waitress. I agree that two mistakes are too much independently of the amount. Our system is not perfect for sure but we ask our clients to check a first time after their meal and a second time when they pay the bill. All the details are given to each customer and our receptionist asks each single customer to double check before payment. Thus you were treated as all of our clients and I really do not understand your allegations of theft. To be honest, it could have been advisable to suggest to the readers of TripAdvisor to double check their bills as we are humans and can make mistakes. I am afraid that it happened with you more than usual.

Concerning the third mistake, the receptionist gave you a wrong price about the transportation. As you wrote that you were a mathematician and you discovered that a discount is a discount and not an extra cost! On arrival, we provide written information to our clients about the prices of our services. For instance, if the tuk tuk is not included in the room rate, the cost is 15 US$ per day until 10 pm and we are the only place in town to provide this service at this price, everywhere else it costs the same price but only until 6pm. The receptionist did not pay enough attention to your personal contract with us, which in case of direct booking stipulates a discount on transportation. I tried to explain to you the misunderstanding but apparently I failed. I corrected immediately the mistake and you did pay the discounted price.

I do apologize if I seem to be rude in my answer but to be treated as "cheater" hurt me and particularly my staff because we always try to be transparent and we also instruct our drivers in the same spirit. This is our policy from scratch. We are very sorry for all the mistakes. This is indeed not acceptable for a hotel of our standard. I will endeavor in retraining my team accordingly to avoid any similar situation in the future.

Once again, thank you very much for taking time to write a review of your stay with us.

Warm regards from Angkor,

DOH So
Pavillon Indochine manager

Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife, daughter and I stayed at The Pavilion for 3 nights in August 2012. This stay was one of our fondest memories of our whole 2 week holiday.
The Pavilion was a beautiful, quiet, clean and tranquil place to stay while visiting Angkor. The pool was clean and inviting. The room was clean and comfortable. We typically would have breakfast and dinner at the hotel and were completely satisfied every time. We cannot say enough about the hotel staff. They were extreamly kind and they always ensured we were always taken care of. Our tuk tuk driver was very nice and informative about Angkor and the town of Siam Reap.
There is no doubt in my mind that we will return again to what we consider our little Cambodian paradise.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Coy S
Reviewed February 8, 2013

Stayed here for five nights in Feb. 2013. HAd a room on the second floor, which gives you a little more privacy from the pool. Room had cable t.v., good, quiet A/C, great wi-fi and an in room safe box. Nice, clean linen and towels - the whole room was spotless for that matter. The pool was fabulous after a day crawling over Angkor Wat, and the pool water was actually very cool and refreshing. Staff were extremely polite and efficient. They are young, but well trained and try hard to please. The breakfast buffet was excellent, with lots of fresh fruits, juices and eggs to order. I had the soup for lunch and that was very good. The hotel will give you a tuk-tuk driver gratis if you book directly with them. Since foreigners aren't't allowed to drive, this is a something you''ll need anyway. The driver provided by the hotel was an extremely polite, nice guy. I also used the hotel pick-up service, very nice after 24 hours travel. The location is fantastic - it's out of the city center in a quiet neighborhood. When you want to go to the Pub Street area, your driver will have you there in five minutes.
If you''re looking for a mid-range hotel with a pool that is clean and safe, this is a good choice. If I ever have the privilege to return to Siem Reap, I will stay here without a doubt.

Room Tip: Get the second floor for more privacy from the pool.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo