“Stylish modern Khmer cuisine”
Review of Chanrey Tree

Chanrey Tree
Ranked #46 of 922 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Cambodian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: A fine khmer food and contemporary setting. In door with air conditioning, out door open space with tropical garden sitting. Welcome to family with children, couple, individual, group for any special occasion, private dinning, entertainment client or romantic dinner.
Reviewed January 21, 2014

A beautifully decorated modern restaurant in a small garden off the riverside. Staff was very professional and caring. The food was generally good, although a bit on the dry side (add some sauce and dressing, please) and made to accommodate Western palates. More taste and spice would really make it wonderful. Good wines.

Richard T, General Manager at Chanrey Tree, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear guest

Many thanks for your positive review! I am glad to know that you have enjoyed your dining experience with Chanrey Tree - Khmer Cuisine. Please be assured that your compliments will be shared with my team.

Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I had a really enjoyable evening at Chanrey Tree. From the moment we walked in the restaurant we felt like we were among friends. The hostess immediately walked out to greet us upon our arrival and then walked us to our table in the "garden". The ambience is great with twinkling lights and greenery. We had 2 different people come to our table to take our order and offer their food recommendations, including their general manager Richard. Their recs were spot-on. The "crispy sticky rice with Natang sauce" was outstanding and not to be missed! For our mains, we had the Chanrey fried rice and the beef lok lak-both flavorful and delicious. We saved room for dessert and had the mango sticky rice and chek-ktish. Although not as flavorful as Thai mango sticky rice, still good and satisfying. Overall experience was fantastic. Don't miss this gem of a restaurant. You won't be disappointed!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Had dinner with 6 male friends to celebrate an anniversary my second visit to the restaurant...

We arrived and were pleasantly greeted by very attentive staff.

We received Delicious food, and a very friendly service. The vibe is cool and the design is very stylish.

Food Price's are higher than typical Cambodian fare but well worth it ...

The presentation of each dish was simple and elegant. Definitely the best food I have had so far in Siem Reap.

Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We came here on our first night in Siep Reap because our first choice was booked out. We liked it so much we came back the next day. Now I wish we'd gone more often.

Siem Reap has a touristy part and a local part. Never the twain shall meet, and if you're like me the touristy part can feel very artificial. Chanrey Tree is very high end in the context of Siem Reap, but it was the only eatery I went to in the touristy part which for me successfully bridged that gap.

To start with the food, I can't give it a better compliment than that to say that it was a recognizable cousin - albeit a beautifully prepared and presented one - of the delicious road-side food we had in the local part of town. The dishes seemed neither unnecessarily toned down nor jazzed up. Not all of them were equally memorable, but a few remain particularly vivid: a fish amok that didn't come in a coconut, but was just a beautifully tender, light and fresh fish curry; a more challenging dish of crudités served with a rather heady, but very Khmer, fermented fish dipping sauce; and a dessert that was basically a deep fried sticky rice ball served on pineapple jam with nuts and ice cream, which turned into an absolutely moreish pineapple crumble when you mixed the ingredients together.

If you're feeling adventurous you may want to have the stuffed frog - it's like a large sausage (slightly dry, with backbone attached), but it comes with two wonderful dipping sauces!

Chanrey Tree sits in a beautifully simple space by the river. We didn't explore the upstairs, but the downstairs is basically and open front part and a semi-open back part, separated by an open kitchen. (There are scented mosquito candles in the plant borders so that's not an issue.) You can see traces of a more traditional open air eatery in the structure. It's both stylish and very restful.

There's little I can say about the service. It was unfailingly engaged and engaging, and stunningly friendly. Thank you.

I do have one recommendation: drop the huge menu boards - they are the equivalent of using a metre long pepper grinder to season one's eggs and made us feel a bit silly! Little booklets would be fine :).

In sum, I'd recommend Chanrey Tree to anyone coming to Siem Reap for the first time, for a safe but authentic introduction to Khmer food, in a beautiful setting with wonderful service. And when you've gone once you'll probably want to come again.

Reviewed January 16, 2014

We loved the Chanrey tree - the food was amazing, and every course was as divine as the last. The waiters were excellent, and very attentive and engaging. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for great quality Khmer food at a reasonable price for fine dining.