“nice retreat after visiting temples all day” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Borei Angkor Resort & Spa

Borei Angkor Resort & Spa
Ranked #29 of 315 Hotels in Siem Reap
Paris, France
“nice retreat after visiting temples all day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

overall the hotel and services meet my expectations. here are the pros and cons of my stay:
pros:
-entrance hall: very nicely decorated
-upon checking we had warm towels, fresh juice and khmer sticky cake. it made quite an impression on us.
-checking was quick and checkout as well.
-service was good. front desk spoke good english and helped us to arrange for a car to visit siem riep.
the driver was a really nice guy and such a skillfull driver.
- the room: i booked a triple room and i was surprised to see how big our room was. bed very comfortable and huge bathroom

cons:
--restaurant: breakfast is great; but food at restaurant is pricy and average. don't order asian food, coz it's not good there. western food is decent though.
-location: a bit far of from central siem riep. not much to do around. have to ride tuk tuk to go to central siem riep .
-pool: quite small . i went there in early november, so the hotel was not crowded yet.
-corridors are huge, endless and quite glum. gives a feeling that stuck in a you're in a giant cruise boat./ titanic style...

overall i would stay there again cos the hotel is a bargain and still close enough to siem riep.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank cricri003

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (771)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Booked this hotel 6 months in advance. Emails with a staff confirmed a room at 4th floor pool side. Instead we gor a room opposite where directly in front of the construction. Water dribbles from the tub to the floor. Not all the lights work.
In November, rec'd an email that a $125 per person New Year gala celebration is compulsary. I searched for alternative accomodation but almost all the decent accommodation in SR are taken or the price have sky rocketed. Their email a week before our stay said that if I did not confirm the $125 per person charge, that they will cancel our accommodation. They are really jamming this gala on our throat. The food, served buffet style at the gala was mediocre. The stage was blocked by the landscaping from where we were seated. Some guests started dancing after dinner, by this time about 2/3 of the guests have left.
The breakfast buffet sucks! The croissants and other breads tasted old. They use so much oil on the eggs. Coffee cups are so small we had to keep looking for a waiter to fill them up. The staff tries very had to please but the guys wearing western suits just talks amongst them and hardly do anything. I like SR and plan to come back but I will stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: I will not trust any promise from Borei Angkor. They will ignore it! Stay at another hotel.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
9 Thank Shadow9745
Hang S, General Manager at Borei Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 24, 2013
Dear Shadow9745,

Greetings from Siem Reap, and I am glad to read that you have enjoyed your visit to Siem Reap.
I have noticed that you have rated Siem Reap a very high score, except the Phnom Kuelen National Park.

Personally, I do appreciate very much for taking your time to share with us and other readers about your experience at our resort.

I am very sorry to have learnt that you did not enjoy your stay with us at all. On behalf of the entire team, I do apologize for not being able to take good care of you. I am not trying to explain what went wrong; and we might have made some mistakes as we moved along.

For your kind information, Siem Reap is very small town; and most hotels do the compulsory dinner during the festive season. One of the main reasons is because this area is still a seasonal business. On top of that, through the our experience, most restaurants were closed in the town; and so we wish to put up a good party where our residents could celebrate the festive season in style. I am sorry that the price of the dinner has become an issue. The price is inclusive of free flow of selective drinks for the entire evening. We have also arranged lots of activities such as silk painting, leather carving, local basket crafting, lotus flower folding, and Khmer culture fashion show. That is the early part of the evening. During the dinner, we have imported the international band plus the Cambodian traditional performances just to highlight the evening. On top of that, the entire resort have been decorated in festive season theme to ensure that our residents feeling like home while you are away from home.

Most of all, I am sorry that you did not enjoy our good selection of dinner buffet. In contrast, we did get a lot of positive feedbacks and guests thanked the resort in the effort trying to put up a great party for them.

My observation was, as the general manager, a bit different from yours for the fact that most our residents did enjoy the meal, the show, and the party. If I may point out, we did the count down in style with most of guests stayed back to enjoy the special evening.

I may disagree with you that the breakfast was not good, because we have a very dedicated team behind the scene led by a professional Cambodian chef who had been working for a number of years with International environment. However, I am very sorry, once again, that our buffest breakfast food tastes did not meet your expectation.

I have been a waiter myself for some years and always thought that our coffee cups are the standardised size which is commonly used by the local and international hotel chains; and I am very sorry that you have found our coffee up very small.

Thank you for your kind comment about our hardworking staff. We believe in teamwork. We believe in “Muddita Spirit” principle which our happiness derive from our guests’ happiness.

If you need any assistance for the future trip to Siem Reap, please do not hesitate to contact us even though may not be staying with us.

at your service,
Nara Thon
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for 2 nights in December, along with a friend. Firstly, when we booked, the hotel didn't state that Tere was renovation going on. Since travelers are mostly looking to relax during their vacation, this hotel didn't make it possible for us to sleep in late. I am willing to overlook this fact.

But what was appalling is that the group of tuk tuk drivers that ferries customers around are simply laborious to be speaking to. And it doesn't help that the hotel takes a non-chalant attitude.

I found most of hotel staff unable to communicate in English very well. And when I needed to get out of the hotel, besides the VERY long walk out, I had to deal with incompetent hotel staff who were unable to tell the hotel's tuk-tuk drivers where I needed to go. Not only that, after all the hassle, I was told that the driers DO NOT carry any form of change, neither USD nor local Cambodian currency. This was extremely debilitating because I couldn't see reason why a driver would not have change. And the hotel staff at the entrance therefore expected me to walk the VERY long walk back to reception to change money again.

Truth be told, I had such an awesome time enjoying the room the pool, the restauarant excellent but my overall experience was 100% spoilt by the Borei's team of tuk-tuk drivers who were wearing the Borei shirt & driving a Borei branded tuk-tuk. For as long as they fail to organize a better system to help customers out, this would be the final thing that would remain etched in guests' minds... That their own transportation system model was simply appalling.

I subsequently moves hotel to one that was nearer to the markets. So where the rooms were no where compared to Borei, they had an excellent front desk which took charge of helping guests to get to where they want, and tuk-tuk drivers who had currency change! That hotel was gave me so much more better experience.

Stay here if u don't intend to venture out. Save yourself the agony of having to deal with their tuk-tuk drivers.

Don't stay here because any other hotels in Siem reap would offer much better service and you get to enjoy more.

• Stayed December 2012
2 Thank Juviance
Hang S, General Manager at Borei Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear Juviance,

Greeting from Siem Reap, Cambodia!

Thank you very much for your comments in detail; and I am glade that your staying and visiting to Siem Reap and the kingdom was a good one.

I am sorry that you have not been well informed about our renovation activities; and that did not make it possible for you to sleep in late. I am trying to put myself in that condition, and certainly I may feel the same way. We are almost done with our lobby upgrading, and only minor works are being carried out at this time of the year, December 2012.

On the other hand, English is our second language and it is very popular recently. Yet, some of our staff could not command it properly. I am sorry that they were not able to effectively assist you with direction giving when dealing with the Remork driver (Remork is the local word, Tuk-Tuk - Thai).

Most of our residents enjoy this type of service, but if ones try to get to the public Remork, which is not under our control, sometimes the experience could be unpleasant. In this case, I will work to improve that service.

Once again, thank you very much for sharing your comments with our readers. We will look at more possible English classes, local products knowledge and places of interest, and the transportation arrangement. Thank you for your constructive feedbacks, and we will do everything we could to take care of that.

Very best,
Nara Thon
foster city
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013 via mobile

I liked the location of Borei hotel near old market but far enough to avoid the tourist crowd. Hotel staff were all accommodating and courteous. Great breakfast buffet and room accommodations. Great value for money!! Will stay here again next time.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear marty n,

Greetings from your home in Siem Reap, the kingdom of wonder!

On be half of the entire team, the accommodating and courteous team, I would like to thank you very much for your kind feedback.

That is served as the real source of motivation and energy for our young Cambodian talents who will be the Cambodian future, especially in the hospitality industry.

We are so looking forward to welcome you back in the near future, and very soon. At the mean time, please do let us know if you may need any assistance from Siem Reap.

Very best,
Nara THON
Eden Prairie, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

Let's face it, the streets of Cambodia isn't always pleasant to the eye but when you're inside Borei Angkor you totally forget where you're at! The resort is clean and polished everyday. You wake up greeted with contagious smiles and sweet 'good mornings'.. I never got that at any other 5 stars I've stayed at before. My husband and I was so touched by the staff at this resort that we nearly emptied our wallets through tips after tips. The front desk staff spoke English very well, unlike the staffs i had encountered in Bangkok and Phuket. The entire staff from front desk to cleaners wore traditional Cambodian uniforms and were well groomed. Management wore suits. I was especially impressed with their complimentary Tuk Tuk service. Our driver gave us the royal treatment and provided us recommendations for food and shopping. At night, the hotel has a live band who performs by the pool. There's a bar next to the pool as well. The breakfast buffet is exceptional and so is the dinner menu. The rooms all had wooden decor. the AC for ea room activates by the key card. in order words it shuts off when you leave and turns on when you come back into the room. The bathroom had peek a boo windows and there are balconies in each room so you can have access to fresh (humid) air. The hotel is not very far from the famous Pub Street and a short distance from the Angkor park. I would definitely return!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

The BOREI Angkor resort is an affordable experience if you plan a week stay as I did to enjoy the legendary people s courtesy in Cambodia ; spacious and all modern comfort rooms you might need to feel home among very nice efficient staff ready to respond to any enquiry you might ask during your stay even the beautifut traditional Khmer style lobby is partly closed for works to make it bigger in a wide open green zen modern style which will transform it completely. Breakfast room opens early at 6.00 am with noisy and rude Chinese groups unfortunatly for us but all kind of international food is available except for th very expensive foreign wine which invites you to discover the various restaurants choice of Siem Reap. Anyway, the place remains a wonderful experience to recomand to best friends.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank BECKER H
Sao Paulo, SP
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

This was, by far, one of the most disappointing hotels I have ever stayed at in my life.

I had good expectations about this hotel: the pictures looked great, it was supposedly a five star resort, and people on Tripadvisor were saying great things about it.

Seriously, I did not like this hotel at all, for the price, it should be a LOT better. I will describe it for you.

1. The hotel is on a main avenue in a hostile neighborhood. It feels dangerous to go outside and walk around. Tuk tuks and random people start offering you things in a hostile way, and there are too many people around. It's chaotic, I didn't feel safe here.

2. The hotel is really old and needs to spend a fortune on renovation. Not just on the main entrance that they are currently building. The floors need to be polished, the walls need to be repainted, the rooms need to be redone entirely. Only the bathrooms are acceptable, although they give you really cheap soap and toiletries (5 stars, really?).

3. There is something about this hotel that gives you the impression that it is dirty. Perhaps it is the carpets, the floors, the curtains, the really old furniture, the smell, I am not sure.

4. The tackiness. The decoration in this hotel is tacky and kitsch. My husband made a comment that also applies to this point, he said "So there is such a thing as too much wood". There is wood everywhere at this hotel, and since there is too much of it, and it is not taken care of, it doesn't look elegant but tacky. Like they are trying so hard that they get the opposite effect. And everything looks old.

5. The restaurant is horrible. I purchased 2 set menus. The food was plain and tasteless. It didn't seem fresh. So disappointing not to enjoy a meal in a country like Cambodia, which has really great food.

6. Check in was so slow. It took forever, and we were really tired. I had to ask them to please give us the key so we could carry our bags ourselves because we didn't want to wait anymore. Check out also took more time than expected.

7. The staff are not particularly nice. The next day we moved to "The Golden Temple", and the experience was entirely different. I payed much less, and everything was 100 times better.

Ok, now, what is positive...

The bathroom has a nice tub, and the pool area seems nice. Oh, and they have a free shuttle to the airport. But believe me, at this price, the hotel should be soooo much better. Go elsewhere, there are way too many options in Siem Reap, better options.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Maria123T
Hang S, General Manager at Borei Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Dear mltubio,

Greetings from Siem Reap, the home of Angkor Wat temple - the world heritage monument, in the kingdom of wonder!

I trust that your visit to Cambodia is a good one, if not the best. I believe that you have brought along with you some great memorable experiences that will keep you happy and smiling for sometimes. At the same time, I am sorry to learn about your buss trip from Phnom Penh, but that was an experience, if I may say.

I am not very sure if the price is an issue, and it is the beginning of everything here. However, on behalf of the warm and friendly team that ones may experience, I would like to extend my sincere thank you for you detailed comments and feedbacks. As a senior review on trip advisor with 46 postings, I personally appreciate your in-depth insight, and I respect that.

Same time, I am glad that you like our bathroom, the beautiful swimming pool, and the complimentary airport shuttle (that you never used).

I really disagree with the idea that the resort is not in a very safe location. This is the first comment in that nature after fifteen years of business.The resort is located along the main avenue – national road number 6; but it is away from the busy roads, which is an ideal address for residents to escape from the busy and noisy world.

We do provide Remork service (Tuk-Tuk is Thai word) at our establishment, but if ones choose to take a walk out of the resort for some reasons– therefore they may experience the not-acceptable local way of looking/getting customers. It’s the in the public area, and those service providers are not part of our management/organisation.

I am very sorry that you have not been able to enjoy our beautiful resort. I am also terribly sorry that our food quality did not meet your expectation, which very rare and not likely to happen to others patronizes/residents. Through experiences, I have witnessed that our residents’ taste bud change when they are tired, especially after long day traveling by bus, 7 hours long from Phnom Penh.

We thank you for pointing out that our resort is old and tacky, even the check-in/out process is slow plus that the staff is not nice.

Those are the feedbacks that the management really have to consider and work harder to improve the facilities, and staff trainings and developments.

As ones said, Angkor complex demands a revisit. If you ever come back to Siem Reap and needs some assistance, we would be very please to assist in anyway possible though you might not choose to stay with us again.

At your service,