“Not so good drinks”

The Sun
Ranked #167 of 1,003 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Asian, Pizza, International
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Restaurant & bar in colonial building on corner overlooking the hustle & bustle of Pub Street & the night market. Serving international & local dishes plus a wide selection of cocktails, wines and a strong focus on pizza. Balcony and terrace seating.
Reviewed December 23, 2013 via mobile

Restaurant has a very good location! Food is good, but drinks were bad - especially fruit shakes. Didn't taste like fruits at all.

SiemReapGuy, General Manager at The Sun, responded to this reviewResponded December 24, 2013

Good Evening Eele,
Firstly on behalf of management, thank you very much for your comment on trip advisor. It is however very disappointing to hear about the Fruit Shake. I and my team will look into this immediately for correction.
We are however very please that you did enjoy our location and your meal and hope that we may be able to welcome you back to our humble restaurant.
Best regards on behalf of the entire team.

Reviewed December 22, 2013

This restaurant occupies a prime corner spot on a corner opposite the end of Pub Street. The view from the upstairs balcony of all the goings-on is great. It's nicely decorated too.
The menu is very good from first reading.
This place should be a license to print money but it fails vecause of the food and service.
The food was inconsistent in quality at best and actually inedible in some parts.
Staff were over-stretched and did not really have a handle on things, although they were friendly.
There was no coherent way to order wine - the list and actual stock did not tally, nor did the server's knowledge of both.
Prices were pretty good.

Dear Shedheadinlaos,
Thank you for your comments on trip advisor you have recently added. Although we are obviously disheartened in regards to your comments, we do strive to constantly improve in all aspects. I have held a staff meeting today to find out more in regards to your meal and time with us and I am afraid that I have not be able to get to the bottom of it at present duly as no one has complained to the staff of which I would be informed immediately. This makes it very difficult to trace your comments in regards to inedible foods, normally should something be so terrible there would be a complaint of which I would deal with in person.
I am also very sorry my staff could not give you further information on the only 2 wines we at present have on our wine list, I am working on this at present and will be extending our wine list within of this week.
We are on the other hand very happy that you enjoyed our location and obviously our value for money prices.
Obviously we do not get to many guests from Vientiane, Laos, of which I believe I met you at another one of our properties on Sunday and introduced myself to you of which there were no complaints shared.
As this has obviously been a gross mistake on our behalf please do send me an email of exactly what you had eaten and what the problems were for me to take further action.
Thank you again and look forward to hearing from you soonest.
benjamin.thomalla@gmail.com

Reviewed December 15, 2013

We went there for lunch after a long morning of temple sightseeing. So the first thing we wanted was a cold drink/beer. And that we had.
The decorating and global atmosphere is nice and cosy. But the food... Well... Not what I excepted.
If my husband was satisfied with his burger, my tortellini were very disappointing. Even if nicely presented, my pasta dish resumed to be four tortellini with some parmegiano shavings and a few leaves of salad. Very frugal! More a fancy starter than a main course! And not very tasty.
So, go there for a burger, a fruit salad or a beer. Nothing more.
Actually, I would not go there anymore...

SiemReapGuy, General Manager at The Sun, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Dear Aralya,
Firstly on behalf of all of us at "The Sun", thank you very much for your comments on trip advisor. As we have recently changed the menu we appreciate all feedback that we can get in regards to the food. We are however extremely glad that your husband enjoyed his burger or should I say satisfied and we do hope that he may join us again in the near future.
In regards to the Pumpkin tortellini, I am so sorry that you did not enjoy it. Out of the 163 portions we have sold, this is the first complaint we have encountered of which I will look into immediately. Using the word "Frugal" in regards to the portion I believe is a bit harsh but never the less, as with these speciality pasta's, you may or may not know the portion sizes vary. We do also never promote this dish as a main course but rather under our small pasta section that we incorporated into the menu.
I do hope that is you return as we wish you may that you ask for the manager should you not be happy with something, so to address the problem immediately, I am sure I can speak on behalf of all us business owners on Trip Advisor that this is a better and more effective way to address any issues.
Thank you for your understanding as well as your comments,
Executive Chef / General Manager

Reviewed December 13, 2013

Had lunch here a couple of days ago. Food was tasty, portions were of a good size and the cost was sub $20 (including coffee and soft drinks) the restaurant is centrally located to most everything around pub street, and the ceiling fans make this a particularly inviting place on a hot midday for a leisurely lunch

SiemReapGuy, General Manager at The Sun, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Good Day Mikel448,
On behalf on "The Sun", we wish to thank you very much for your kind words and are delighted that you enjoyed your lunch here with us. We have spent a lot of time in regards to the layout of the restaurant and in particular the fan arrangement in order to offer the most comfortable sitting and dining experience around the Pub Street area.
We are also extremely glad that you have mentioned that we are good Value for Money as that is exactly what we are striving for.
On behalf of all of us at "The Sun" we can't wait to welcome you back agin in the near future.
Safe Travels!

Reviewed December 4, 2013

Ate here a few times on a recent trip to Siem Reap, staff were very friendly and food was consistently good, I highly recommend the Khmer curry, breakfasts are also very good! the location is great too on a corner in the heart of pub street! you wont be disappointed!

SiemReapGuy, General Manager at The Sun, responded to this reviewResponded December 4, 2013

Dear Sam H,
Firstly we would like to thank you very much for you fantastic review you have shared on Tripadvisor about "The Sun Restaurant". We are extremely pleased that you enjoyed your visits to the restaurant and looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future. We are at present preparing to change the breakfast menu around ever so slightly to further improve that element of the restaurant.We do hope you will approve with this upon your return.
Wishing you safe travels and thank you once again for your review.
Best regards from all of us on "The Sun" team.