“A great experience in Siem Reap with our guide Sim Sophath”

Angkor Travel Guide Day Tours
Ranked #666 of 857 Tours in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Owner description: Official guides and tour service for the Angkor Archaeological Park, Siem Reap and its surrounding countrysides, day tours to Preah Vihear temple and day tours to other remote temples.
Reviewed March 4, 2013

My sister, brother in law and myself just returned from a magical trip to Siem Reap. Our private travel guide Sim Sophath made our visit even more enjoyable and memorable. He was very knowledgable about the history of Cambodia and the temples and his command of the English language was excellent. He was flexible in our planning of the trip and we visited the sights when they were least crowded. He also helped us take the best photos and was very organized, helpful and courteous. He organized all our transportation, and looked after all our needs. We really enjoyed talking to him about his life in Cambodia which was very interesting and educational.
He made sure we stopped at "safe" restaurants with clean facilities. We really enjoyed our time with him and we would highly recommend him to anyone visiting this area. You will not be disappointed. We hope we will meet again. Thank you, Sophath.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

My wife and I recently visited Siem Reap where we were lucky enough to have Sim Sophath as our guide for four days. He was very good at choosing the best times to go and visit the temples, knowing when to avoid the crowds and at Angkor Wat got us to enter from the East gate where there were hardly any other tourists as most people arrive by the West gate. It made our visit so much more interesting to talk to him about his family and his life. He speaks good English and has a genuine enthusiasm for the language, always wanting to improve. We had an outing to Tonle Sap lake which was great, especially out on the lake itself where we had time to tie up and stop the engine and just take in the extraordinary place. I have no hesitation in recommending him as a guide, he's very easy to be with and happy to answer all our questions.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Sim Sophath was an excellent guide for our trip to Siem Reap. We spent 3 wonderful days looking around the temples of the area and ended up with a visit to Tonle Sap lake. Sophath was extremely knowledgable in the history of the temples, and also knew exactly the right times to visit each temple in order to avoid the crowds, where to take the best photographs, etc.
His command of the English language was excellent.
We would highly recommend him to other English-speaking tourists looking for a reliable, very good guide, with a friendly manner.

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Cambodia Trip w/ the Wife and we decided to hire a personal tour guide by the name of Mr. Sopath SIM. So here's a brief summary of what we thought of Mr. SIM.

Sophath SIM - Very knowledgeable of Cambodia and very flexible in the itinerary. SIM was very punctual when meeting us at our hotel and knew the ins and outs of where to take the best pics.

He arranges whatever is needed to get from A to B. So there are no worries in booking our own mode of transportation which was a relief.

Very personable. Sopath even opened up w/ some of his childhood stories, which kind of gives you a real sense of how the Cambodian People live and grew up.

Sopath is a loyal guide. I was impressed when he told us he got wind of an opporunity to make more money w/ a large group but he declined their offer to an already promised to future client.

At the end of the trip my Wife and I ended up tipping Sopath pretty big as we both thought he was just that good and treated us very well!

Recommend: Yes. (You won't regret it!)

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We visited Siem Reap for about 3 days at the beginning of February 2013. Our private tour guide, Mr. Sophath SIM, made our Cambodia visit so much more enjoyable than if we did it any other way. This was a honeymoon trip for us, so I didn't want to join a large tour, nor did I want to carry around a tour book and try to learn the sights ourselves...I just wanted to relax with my new husband and not worry about anything else!

I was fortunate to have found Mr. Sophath SIM through TripAdvisor…I deliberately did not book through the hotel to avoid the heavy commission. He did not require a booking deposit, which was a big plus for us. I booked Sophath over email, for 2 days of private tour of the Petite Circuit and Big Circuit, and on the evening we arrived Siem Reap, I mentioned I wanted to fit in visiting Kompong Phluk, a floating village that my friend and a guide book recommended. He was glad to make the adjustment, quoting only a little extra money for his driver due to the extra distance. The boats that would take us to the Tonle Sap Lake would require separate tickets and would just be passed on charges. We felt it was very reasonable and everything was set.

During the two days of touring, Sophath navigated us around the tourist crowds wherever possible. Since I wanted to do the popular sunrise at Angkor Wat, I think it was impossible to have no crowds there at this time of the year (peak travel season). He took us to good photographic spots, and offered to take pictures for us at many places. He left us alone when we would climb to the top of each temple we visited, and also purposely sat at a table far from us at lunch, so we had private time to ourselves.

His English is good and he shared enough knowledge and stories for us to understand the architecture and history behind the temples, without making us feel too overwhelmed since we were not history buffs.

He also not once took us to a souvenir shop (a good thing)! He neither encouraged or discouraged when the children and women outside of temples approached us selling souvenirs, but waited for us with an understanding smile when we couldn't help but buy some.

The tuk-tuk driver and car driver arranged by Sophath were friendly and punctual, they were always ready for us as soon as we were done at a certain spot. They always have cold bottled water and cold towels ready to provide to us throughout the day. We were very well taken care of.

Bottom line, I highly recommend Mr. Sophath SIM as a private tour guide because he is a good, honest, down to earth, reliable, trustworthy man. He went the extra mile for us -- he even helped us book a tuk-tuk driver for our last morning in Siem Reap and came to make sure the driver and us could meet, before he said goodbye. Thank you so much, Sophath!

1  Thank Pauline C