“Mr. Theara - the masterful guide for Angkor Temples”

Angkor Guide Tour- Day Tours
Ranked #109 of 836 Tours in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Owner description: Dear Ladies and Gentlemen, welcome to Angkor Guide tour Private Tours is a group of senior experienced, professional tour guides who have been guiding visitors to Angkor temples since 2000 and I am Theara/Tom , I am team leader, of group i studied tourism and hotel management at university Bachelor Degrees ,Phnom Penh University and have many years' experience as a professional tour guide with hundreds of happy customers from all over the world, some of whom I am proud to now call my friends. Cambodians are very gentle, friendly people and I am sure you will enjoy your visit very much.i am an armature photographer is a founder and the team leader, in Siem Reap as well. Our services are customized for visitors who love independent and private tours. Please let us arrange your tours in Angkor such as accommodation booking, transports, tour guides, meals, itinerary and so on. We guarantee the best quality service reasonable price very informative tour guide and safe trip.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

We give him our highest recommendation. He was our guide for 8 days this past January 2013. Starting from the very first, we found Mr. Theara very knowledgeable and a kind spirit. Given his natural sensibilities and humility we didn't realize the full depth of his humor or his knowledge about the temples and other sites of the Angkor region including monasteries, food, cities/towns ancient and current, geography, roads, driving expertise, history, and his equanimity that would unfold over our 8 days with him guiding and ferrying us around the Angkor region of Cambodia in a Mitsubishi Pajero (air conditioned and very comfortable). He is also a superb photographer and was very helpful to us in getting images we would not otherwise have been able to take with our camera. We know we were most fortunate that the Mulberry Boutique hotel in Siem Reap recommended him as our guide. We were again fortunate that he accepted us as his clients as we traveled with him as the guide for 8 splendid days. From two professors and son, from the University of Utah, USA.

Reviewed January 17, 2013

My nephew and I come from the U.S. Wehad the most amazing time visiting Cambodia in late November of 2012.

We met Theara quite by accident and I'm forever grateful for that chance encounter.

While staying at the Elephant Valley Project in Mondulkiri, our host persuaded us to take a cab to Siem Reap, instead of the bus, saving us 4 hours and $75. He arranged for two cabs to help us complete the 9 hour journey. The first drove us to a bridge at a halfway mark, where Theara was waiting to pick us up to drive us the final 5 hours.

We became instant friends and most importantly we instinctively sensed that we could trust 'Tom'. Within an hour of experiencing Tom's excitement for his culture and in-depth knowledge of its history I winked at my nephew and he nodded back. We hired Tom on the spot for every day he was available for the remainder of our trip. He's very smart, speaks good English, is funny, trustworthy and most importantly, he cared about our experience.

We hadn't fully mapped out our time in Siem Reap, as we wanted to have flexibility in our schedule. Over the course of our initial drive, he helped us develop the perfect itinerary, allowing us to see everything we wanted, along with some additional, amazing local secret spots we didn't even know existed.

He was completely flexible with our schedule, arriving before dawn when needed and staying well after dark with us so that we could witness a lunar eclipse over Angkor Watt.
He's a consummate professional, with a clean, comfortable, well-equipped vehicle and we always felt safe with him.

When tragedy struck unexpectedly and we discovered that an immediate family member back in the states had died the previous week, Tom took care of us, helping us gain access to secure, affordable international communications so we could do what needed to be done. He even arranged for us to be able to pray in a beautiful, secluded temple that most people can't gain access to.

We trusted him implicitly, and knew that we were safe in his hands. In fact, by the last day of our trip he actually felt more like family than our guide. We laughed, we joked, we even shared photography tips with each other.

He was the perfect guide for us. He filled us with knowledge and history so that we could EXPERIENCE and UNDERSTAND the rich Cambodian culture.

If I'm ever fortunate enough to return to Cambodia, as soon as I book my flight, the first person I will call is Theara.

His knowledge, friendly demeanor, reasonable rates and flexibility are a 'must-have' for anyone who really wants to have an exceptional visit to an amazing country.

-Mike Collette

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I was recommended to use Tom from a friend of mine who used his services last year with her sister. In turn, my friend's sister had used Tom's brother based on a recommendation from the year before that. So I had a pretty good comfort level even before contacting Tom that I was getting a decent guide.

Turned out Tom was more than just decent for my 2 days with him as my driver and guide. He was very knowledgeable about everything I saw, so much so that other random people asked him questions and had some people even follow us around for interpretations. From his many years of being a guide, he could explain the mythology behind the reliefs in the various temples in the Angkor Wat Park. Not only was he knowledgeable about the mythology but from a practical perspective, he knew how to make the most of my limited time without unnecessarily rushing things so as to pack in more sightseeing. As a result, I got to see another temple, Beng Melea, that was well worth the visit, along with Angkor Wat (including a visit at sunrise), Angkor Thom (including Bayon, Baphuon, Elephant Terrace, Terrace of Leper King), Phnom Pakheng (for sunset view), Ta Prohm and Kompong Pluk.

Plus he's an amateur camera buff with his own Canon DSLR so he was able to take some great shots for me to keep, given many people carry around point-and-shoots, which aren't as good for taking pictures. And given his experience, he also knew the great places to take pictures along great poses, especially where the crowds are not there. I just love looking at the shots he took.

Food-wise, he always took me to places for lunch that weren't expensive but clean and tasty as the last thing you want to do is get sick. Plus he had bottled cold water on hand if needed. And after walking around in the heat and humidity, sitting a nice airconditioned SUV sure beats cycling the long distances by bicycle or breathing the dust & fumes from a tuk-tuk (especially in the morning and night when it gets freezing cold). And he drives very safely too.

On top of this, he even helped me secure a better place to stay at the last minute at the height of busy season in a 3-4 star hotel for a reasonable rate. Which on top of this, he got me upgraded to a better room at no extra charge - ie he uses his connections to help his clients as he's born & raised in Siem Reap. He even helped with negotiating a purchase of last minute camera equipment that I needed at the end of a very long day for him, especially when he has to wake up early the next day - ie he goes the extra distance for his clients.

Most importantly, he's a genuinely nice guy. He helped with the donation of goods to needy children in the floating stilt village Kompong Pluk, donating alms to the local Buddhist monks for temple building and buying goods from locals to help them out.

Given all this, one might think he might be expensive but his prices are extremely reasonable and extremely good value for money. And he explains all of his rates upfront so there were no surprises. I've traveled to many countries & thus used many guides. Not many stand out, but Tom does. If you use him, you won't be disappointed.

Only catch with someone this good is you need to book him in advance!

Reviewed January 11, 2013

My friend and I went to Cambodia at the end of December. Tom was very knowledgeable, showed us great sites and places where we could get the best pictures, and was always funny and joking with us. He let us decide what we wanted to do and also made suggestions of other things we might be interested in. I would definitely recommend him to friends and family!

Reviewed January 9, 2013

Mr Theara is the best guide you can get! He is so knowledgable about the history and every single temple you can visit, and he makes the experience constantly enjoyable! He is relaxed and has the greatest sense of humor which makes for a fun time. I would highly recommend him and will only book with him for future visits! Thanks Mr Theara for the best time!!