“Live like the king” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #85 of 338 Hotels in Siem Reap
Beijing, China
“Live like the king”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2012

We had a most wonderful stay at the incomparable Amansara in Siemens reap. The former King's Hunting Lodge where Jackie Kennedy Onassis was entertained when she visited ankor wat, Is not to be missed. From the moment we booked our holiday, the staff went out of their way to tailor our itinerary to best suit us. Stay helped us with the visas at the airport upon arrival and escorted us to the King's old mercedes stretch limo circa 1955. We had 2 basic rooms which were perfectly nice and were large enough for our nanny, 3 young children and my husband and myself. Internet service was fine and so was our phone service particularly after one of the guides the hotel arranged for us got us a local sim card. We had the best meals we have ever eaten at any hotel around the world by the amansara's fantastic Michelin starred chef. Whatever we wanted he made exquisitely. We recommend this hotel and the superb staff especially the manager and assistant manager highly.

Room Tip: Ask the staff what they would recommend based upon your requirements. The more you tell them of what...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Margaret M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
San Luis Obispo, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2012

I only review  places that I think are excellent, and the places I don't like, I do not return. I believe my experience at Amansara in Siem Reap, Cambodia  was as close to perfect as can be. I did not stay at the hotel, but I pre-arranged a cooking class serviced by the hotel. I will mention the people that were part of my experience because they were just as important as the class, and the food. And I will also go into detail about my adventure because I do pay attention to the details.

I was picked up from my hotel in a spotless auto with white linen seat covers....given a cool freshen up towel and cool water to drink. There were two people escorting me. Da, the driver was dressed in a handsome,  perfectly pressed white outfit and he was very gentle and courteous. Van Vandy who I went shopping with for the ingredients I will be using for my class. She also gave me a tour of the market. I already felt like a King before I started my class.

I was then driven out to an offsite location. It was a traditional Khmer home with a beautiful garden and view of the lake. Kem Lek greeted me at the car and proceeded to give me a tour of the grounds. The grounds consisted of all the essentials for self survival. Organic garden, hen house etc. and a beautiful landscaped yard.

Kem Lek escorted me upstairs in the house (the house is on stilts) and gave me a tour of this very traditional home....lots of open space, lots of windows, very clean and simple.

I was then introduced to Chef Vandy Chhun and his assistant Kori Sockchea. When I pre-arranged this cooking class I requested Chef Vandy Chhun because he was referred to me by a person who previously used him for the same class. And I am glad I listened.

Now to my surprise, all of the cooking and perpetration was done in traditional Khmer style....that means no electricity or running water. This was going to be fun. There was much more food  in the kitchen then we bought and that was because most all the food was harvested in their organic (non GMO) garden on the premises and all of the meats were fresh and sealed in a cooler. Note that they were very particular at the quality of the ingredients.  Chef Vandy Chhun explained to me the importance of organic food stuffs and freshness of the ingredients.

I was given a beautiful folder with all of the ingredients and recipes and we followed along as we cook....this simplified the class so I can duplicate it at home...on a gas stove of course. I consider myself a good cook, but this gave me appreciation of all aspects of prep, cooking and serving.

The first thing I was taught was how to properly wash my hands for preperation, and most importantly was how to use a knife. I thought I already knew how, but shortly found out I didn't. I will not go into the detail of the recipes, but we prepped all the ingredients before we cooked  (while the coals under the wok were heating up. We made homemade curry, using a mortar and pestle, not a food processor, fresh spring rolls, banana blossoms chicken and roasted peanut salad, grilled honey glazed pork filet etc. Eight items in total. Chef Vandy Chhun and Kori Sockchea worked very hard and well together giving me a wonderful experience in the traditional Khmer kitchen. And Kem Lek made sure I always had fresh lemonade, water, and took photos for me.

Now time to eat...I sat outside the house overlooking the lake, I was served a bottle of delicious wine, and proceeded to eat the abundance of food  that "I" cooked. The food was fantastic and when I had finished eating, they had me relax on a bed in the house while the breeze gently rolled over me....life is good!

I was then driven back to my hotel by Da, he explained everything that we saw as we drove by sights and got me back to my hotel...now back to reality..

My experience was perfect, the food was fantastic, and the staff were very professional, courteous and friendly. My new Cambodian family. And I do recommend the same Chef and staff.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank sinar2000
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2012

This is one of the few hotels we have stayed where we could not find faults - it was just a perfect stay. To begin the experience of the former King's guest, you are picked-up in his old vintage car which to someone who is a car fanatic like my husband was just an amazing treat. Of course we weren't the King's guest so everything came at a cost - and boy, what a cost as well! But on the other hand, we had really nice food, excellent service (very personalized which some of the exclusive hotels lack), and great tours of the temples. What I like the most is that once you are checked-in, the hotel staff sits you down and presents you with the proposed agenda for your whole stay and you can pick and choose and tailor it to your own needs. But they tell you what is the best time to leave in the morning to avoid the crowds, when is the time when you really have to seriously spray yourself to avoid being bitten by bugs etc. We also had an excellent guide which made the tours extremely enjoyable.

Room Tip: We had just a suite without pool but it suited us just fine. The room is quite spacious, simple (mi...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

We spent 2 nights for our anniversary. It was the best experience. They anticipate your every need, even things you didnt know you needed but make the stay simply incredible. We had a private blessing with a monk arranged by the staff as a suprise AND a beautiful candlelit bath with chilled champagne.

The food was amazing, nom banh chok (khmer noodle) was the best for breakfast choice!!!

The room is constantly spotless - the staff are so quiet and never intrude on your time.

We would advise anyone to stay here, it is well worth the expense - you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank sokny123
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2012

I spent 3 nights/4 days at the Amansara last february. Having been to other Aman resorts before my expectations were high. And they were fulfilled.
I think there are very few hotels in the world were you find absolutely nothing to complain about. Amansara is one of them. It is absolute perfection.
The place is incredibly beautiful. It makes you feel you are at a private property, not in an hotel. The service is faultless and friendly. The food is very good. The temple excursions are smartly managed so that you avoid most of the crowds. The room (we had a pool villa) is large, bright, stylish.
Yes it is (very) expensive, but I believe it is very worth it.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
New York City
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2012

We spent four days at Amansara on a two-week trip through southeast Asia and found it superlative in every respect.

Upon arrival, we were provided with a proposed itinerary of temple tours for our stay. We were also provided with our own very knowledgeable and friendly tour guide, Kimchen, who took us through the temples and offered a wealth of knowledge. The tours were superbly curated, and magically managed to avoid the crowds in almost every instance, giving the impression that we were on a private tour of each location. The itinerary is proposed, not mandatory, and we added an additional tour on one day, and swapped a tour on another day for a location we preferred to visit. These changes were accomplished without any fuss.

The hotel itself started out life in the 1960s as the guest house of King Sihanouk, and the management has meticulously preserved its mid-century style, not only architecturally, but also down to the most minor details. The result is a cool and peaceful oasis.

The food was superb. The hotel includes "half board" in the daily rate, so breakfast and one other meal are included, as are drinks and snacks. Finally, the service was almost completely unobtrusive, and warm and friendly when it was visible. Although I'm sure they do it for everyone, the staff assembled on our final day to bid us goodbye, which we found very touching.

The hotel also encourages visitors to explore the surrounding community, not merely the temples. They offer tuk-tuk drivers to take you wherever you might want to go, and also offer bicycles for those (like us) who want to explore on their own.

Needless to say, this all comes at a cost. This is the most expensive hotel we ever stayed at, and it was worth each and every penny. In addition, the opulence of Amansara contrasts starkly with relative poverty of the surrounding community, and for that reason may not be for everybody. For us, however, Amansara made what would have been an unforgettable trip an experience that we will remember for the rest of our lives.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2012

The most wonderful experience. The pickup in the vintage Merc was fun for a car nut like me, and the building's funky minimalist 60's design unique in this town where most is tatty or half-built. Sampling the delicious Khmer food and being taken about to the various temples in a rickshaw before dawn added atmosphere and the lovely staff smiled all the way through and found us passage away from the crowds. Our guide was excellent - we learned a lot about both ancient and modern Khmer history, and he managed to keep the kids interested too.

Ok, so it IS super-expensive, but the service is second to none, and it's all very nicely packaged so the tours and even the minibar are included, so no nasty jab with a huge bill for extras when you leave. And anyway, who can beat warm croissants and coffee at 5am before going in the back way to climb all over a deserted Angkor Wat?

Only downside for me is it doesn't have a gym: this is never Aman's strong suit and I suppose they have a point when they say you sweat enough climing the temples, but I do think they should make some concessions to the exercise-obsessives who are quite common among upmarket travellers.

Room Tip: Go for the pool suites: we had 2 adjoining for us and the kids and to have them safely in the pool w...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with family