Ways to Experience Angkor Wat
from $26.00
from $19.00
from $65.00
48,126 results
All reviews bucket list day pass tuk tuk the sun rise main temple awe inspiring once in a lifetime amazing temple take your time tour guide sunrise tour avoid the crowds two days angkor tourists cambodia wat
Selected filters
Reviewed December 7, 2009

One of the most beautiful sites of South East Asia. Each temple has its own character that makes it different from any other. The temple of Angkor Wat and is unique architecture is a real treat for the eyes, especially at sunrise. The temple of Ta Prohm and its lush nature makes the visitor feel like the first explorers of the area. Angkor is one of the rare sites in the world where the beauty of nature meets the flair of a great civilization.

Also mention to the site managers that harmoniously combine tourism and site preservation. A real example for other heritage sites in the world.

Reviewed November 24, 2009

Angkor is great but you need more than two days, I never saw the roulos group. Its worth bearing the heat of the day if you can, and wrapping your head up in a local Kromer Scarf which helps! Hardly any people and much more magical. Take a huge bottle of water! I did the major circuit, well known but you do need transport, either tuk tuk or motorbike, probably too hot for cycling although people were.

I have two guide recommendations, they are a brother and sister. They both speak excellent English, and will tell you lots of things about Cambodian culture and language to boot. They can be contacted separately or together. The brother, Sokki, took me out on his motorbike, he was a very safe driver and I saw things that I don't think may other tourists would see. He wants to be an English teacher and is desperate for more practice although his English is already pretty good! He'll lend you a helmet.

Alann his sister is also fluent in spanish. They both have an extensive library at home and know a lot about the sites. I also bought a book 'Ancient Angkor' which is freely available to look at afterwards, its a good souvenir too. Don't pay more than five dollars for it.

Both Sokki and Alann charge very reasonable rates, available when you ask them. They both take their jobs very seriously and are very kind, interested in you as a person and knowledgeable. I learnt a lot about the symbolism at the temples.

Their e-mails and mobiles are:

[--]

You'll need the country code for Cambodia at the beginning.
Have fun and do use these two guides!

1  Thank silverbreambrighton
Reviewed November 24, 2009

We watched the sunrise over Angkor Wat in 1994. It was my daughter's graduation gift to go back to Southeast Asia. We had traveled around Asia when she was 11. In 1994 at 19, we were again seeing our favorite part of the world. I am not a morning person, but this was special and well worth the loss of sleep. A memory that neither one of us will forget

Reviewed November 24, 2009

The Angkor Wat archeological park consists of several temples.Almost all of these temples are religious shrines and some were meant to provide residence for the King.

Of all the Angkor temples. Here are my favorites:

Angkor Wat: Its the biggest and the most elaborate of all the temples that I have seen. When one enters the temple which was meant to be a city, you would see a lot of wall carvings meant to depict certain part of history during the time it was built

Ta Phrom- it is a monastery that has huge trees . You would see the beautiful combination of trees among the ruins of the monastery.

Bayon Temple: Although the temple is not so big compared to the other temples,you would me amazed at the face carvings.It is known as the Temple with many faces

Some tips when visiting the temples:
1) Visit early in the morning since temperatures are cooler in the morning.The heat would be unbearable towards lunch and afternoon time;

2) If you want to save on food costs during the tour, pack some sandwhiches and drinks.There are numerous eating places on the roadside near the temples but they are more expensive than restaurants you can find in the city;

3) Arrange for a tuktuk driver to bring you around the temples. The costs of one day tuktuk is from US$9-12 (depends on whether you want him to pick you up before sunrise)

4) You can view the sunset at Angkor Wat at around 6pm and if you buy a one day ticket a day before your intended tour,this will allow you to enter the Angkor for free for the sunset view of Angkor;

5) Bring an umbrella since the prospect of showers are quite high.You can also bring towels or Wet ones(wet tissue paper) since the temperature is quite humid.Also bring a lot of drinking water.

6) Make sure you have extra batteries for your camera or video since the tour can last for abaout 4-5 hours.

7) You can buy a guidebook about the temples at ANgkor from the numerous children selling items like postcards,all sorts of painting etc.You dont have to bargain, the longer you delay buying from these vendors they will automatically drop their prices.

Angkor would probably be one of your most memorable trips.I can assure you that.

8  Thank betty l
Reviewed November 23, 2009

I made the trip from Thailand and 3 days was not enough. Partially because the taxi driver had to go back to the hotel after 2 hours driving to pick someone up we had left. So 6 hours after starting we were 2 hours away from the hotel !!
That aside i do recommend going by other means than plane if at all possible. The Cambodian landscape was clean, unspoiled and the people whenever we stopped extremely friendly.
Siem Reap is a reasonable sized town close to the Heritage site. The bars are good, the food is to an excellent standard - it is well worth taking US dollars as the local Riel was not the most popular currency.
The tour round the site was excellent. We spoke to the guide about what we wanted to see but they knew what we needed and made sure we saw everything and at the right time of day. We saw so many of the temples that it is hard to be specific but the whole experience was excellent.
I wish we had had longer at the site and wish to return in the near future.

3  Thank IanVezy