“Great Find”

Angkor Village Resort
Ranked #68 of 365 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed February 10, 2014

This is my second visit to Siem Reap and one of my Khmer friends spoke with a local travel agent about the best place to stay to get a taste of Cambodia and they recommended the Angkor Village Resort. We weren't disappointed. It's located close to town and to Angkor Wat (nothing is actually far away so don't let that sway you one way or another). It's set up as a Khmer village with crafts shop, restaurants, spa located near the entrance and then small buildings consisting of four rooms scattered around the property and overlooking the meandering pool. We had two rooms on the top floor which were very nicely decorated and had a balcony overlooking the pool and grounds. Service was excellent from the moment we arrived until we left 4 days later. I would highly recommend you stay here!

Room Tip: Good value on Agoda.com
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank dtanen

Reviewed February 6, 2014

We stayed at the Angkor Village Resort because 1) it was recommended by a friend who traveled to Siem Reap often and 2) the swimming pool circles through the resort like a river. So that you can swim all around the resort. (look at an aerial photo and you will see what I mean!) And I love to swim! We were there for Angkor Wat itself but it was nice to have the pool to come back to after a hot day. The reception area and restaurant was also in the midst of a pool. While I have been emphasizing the water features, the entire resort is beautifully designed, set in lush gardens, and very low key. The food was really quite good and we very much enjoyed our stay. I would not bother considering any of the glitzier enormous places. The Angkor Village resort is perfect!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed February 5, 2014

This place is beautiful. the swimming pool itself makes it worth the trip. owever I am missing the wow factor that I was expecting for that kind of place. The building is great and is definitely one of the most beautiful properties in Siem Reap, but I was so disappointed by the service and the apparent lack of attention to details.
First of, the offered to pick me up (we were staying at another property in Siem Reap). We arranged the pick up more than 24 hours in advance and they picked us up with over 30mins delay when I was staying at a 5 mins distance. My husband and I were tired to wait so we left with a tuk tuk. No traffic on the road and we arrived there 5 mins later. When we arrived, they said that the driver was late because of traffic. We did not see any traffic on the road and even though, I find it gard to justify the 30 mins delay for a 5 mins distance. When we arrived we went to the restauranr immediately, and the menu we wanted to order was not available anymore.
We went at the bar and ordered a lemon juice and a mojito. They said we had to pick 1 drink only cause they only had enough lemon juice to make 1 of the 2 drinks. It's difficult to imagine that they could run out of lemons when most of their drinks on the menu has lemon juice in the recipe.
The drinks took almost 20 mins to arrive when we were the only guests at the bar. The var look beautiful from outside, but when you look inside, you understand why the poor girl took 20 mins to make the drinks. There no space to work, its messy and is missing most ustensils one need for bartending.
In the room, the toilet paper rack was broken as was the shower gel holder.
Most of the staff don't speak english (when many people in Siem Reap speak really good english, the reception, spa and restaurant staff had a very limited english).
The spa services are quite cheap and good. But again, lack of attention to details for a 5 star property. The flowers in the vase were dying, when you get a massage, you look down at dying lotus flowers and dead mosquitos. The spa bath was broken and Kept stopping. I Had to call someone twice to restart it.
It's still nice to go there once, as I said, the building is nice and the swimming pool is worth seeing. If you want to relax by the pool and you have children, it"s an amazing place. However if you look for service and 5 star service and amenities, you,ll be disappointed.
I Stayed at a 3 star property for 4 nights prior to that, and the service was 100 times better, the room and pool was cleaner and the staff we better trained.
I was still OK as fo the last night, I wanted to crash by the pool and relax, but the management should seriously look into staff training and property management to be up to the standards of a 5 star resort that is part a Small Leading Hotels of the world.

Room Tip: a room by the pool ( i think they all are, But I saw some a bit further away)
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anicee04
Reviewed February 2, 2014

I visited this resort 3 years ago and the memories still linger. My room was on the second floor of a 2 story cabin with a gorgeous view of the pool that snaked around all the cabins and grounds. I had a double room with beautiful 4 posted beds in dark mahogany wood. The bathroom was huge with a lovely spa tub and shower. A beautiful basket filled with delicious tropical fruits was awaiting me on the center table. There was a television with cable, which I watched only briefly.

The resort's breakfast, which was included in the price of my room, was delicious. There were many options. I usually began my day early in the morning with a taxi ride to the ruins. I'd return to the hotel for breakfast at around 9:30, when the tourists arrive in groves and then go back in the late afternoon for more hiking and sight seeing.

The staff couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. I traveled there alone and was there in the month of November. I always felt incredibly safe and enthralled with the beautiful ruins and this beautiful resort. I'd recommend it in a heart-beat!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed February 2, 2014

We discovered the hotel via Small luxury hotels website. It isn't quite up to the standard of other SLH hotels we've discovered through SLH but it was substantially cheaper so bearing that in mind I'd still rate it as excellent.

Set on the edge of the town, Angkor Village is a tranquil setting where you can escape the busy nightlife and temples. The pool area is beautiful and rooms very comfortable.

There was a French chef I residence while we were there and he cooked us the most amazing meal. He came over to chat to us which we thought was a nice touch but then popped over between every course which was perhaps over the top. Still it couldn't take away from his excellent food. The Asian restaurant we didn't find quite as good but fine if you can't face going into the centre of Siem reap after a long day visiting the temples.

We had a "pool day" at the hotel and tried to get some lunch but could only get Asian food. Although I usually do try and eat local food while I'm away the lack of choice was slightly disappointing and I felt was a bit surprising in a five star hotel.

There was a little maintenance needed to the paths on the site. Although this sounds like I'm being picky, I've never noticed anything like this in other SLHs and it is these little things which I think mean it isn't quite on the same standard as other SLHs.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2014

This is a really beautiful hotel with impressive traditional architecture set in peaceful gardens. The food is excellent - particularly impressive for us was the fine dining experience which is more French than Cambodian but was just superb for the price. The spa offers a good range of treatments, and those we tried were expertly delivered. Staff are pleasant throughout the hotel and there is a shop which offers reasonably priced goods.
Just a couple of niggles - they seem to be a bit mean with the complementary water at one bottle per person per day and there were some minor faults in our room (for example an excessively noisy extractor fan and basin plugs not working properly). However it would be churlish to score down what in all major respects is a really great hotel.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank LGtraveller
Reviewed January 18, 2014

We were so pleased by the hotel design, the room, staff and ambiance. Our stay was perfect. The check in staff was polite and attentive. We arrived late in the evening so the iced tea was greatly appreciated. The pool was perfect after a hot day at the temples. Breakfast was very nice. We spoke the the dinner chef several times. He and his wife do a great job.

• Stayed: January 2014