“Lovely hotel with attentive staff”

Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa
Ranked #56 of 378 Hotels in Siem Reap
Reviewed February 7, 2009

This is a colonial style hotel,not too big, with a nice feel about it. Room was a deluxe and very nice with all you would expect of a 4/5 star hotel. It overlooked the pool with a nice balcony as did most rooms. The pool was lovely and a nice temperature. Only one side of the building & pool area got the sun, so there was a bit of a dash for the sunnyside sunbeds. Breakfast was'nt included in our price unfortunately which considering how much we paid, it should have been. Lift was one of those old wooden 50's style gate close then push/pull door types, which was not user friendly, but I had broken my wrist, which did'nt help. The hotel is in a great location not far from Angkor Wat. Coffee shop round the corner sells nice fresh coffee & there is a laundry by the traffic lights which is dirt cheap compared with hotel prices & quick. Only 10 min walk into bar street, come out of hotel, cross over one block & turn right, pass FCC & your almost there. P.S. Raffles hotel is almost next door & they have happy hour till about 9pm, cocktails were great, their pool is enormous by the way compared to Victoria.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Taylortowers
Write a ReviewReviews (2,849)

Reviewed February 6, 2009

Despite a slight issue on the check in perfectly handled by the staff, all our stay was fantastic. Located in the city centre, The Victoria is certainly the best value/service 4 stars hotels in SR. a 4 stars with 5 stars service! Dont miss the breakfast with the wonderful croissants!

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 27, 2009

I have booked this hotel after i read good reviews on this website, and I was not dissapointed.
This hotel is very well designed, I loved its colonial atmosphere.
Service is excellent, much better than in chain hotels.
Food is also great, khmer frog legs were a real treat!
Rooms however are nothing special but are definitely not bad.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 18, 2009

I stayed at the Victoria for 3 days in December with my girlfriend and it was an amazing experience. We were feeling so good at the hotel that we had to drag ourselves to visit the impressive temples.
The overall scenery is magnificent, the place is very relaxing , the pool is gorgeous and do not miss the great buffet for breakfast.
Let yourself be pampered by every member of the friendly staff who will make sure that you are never left unattended. The management staff is really accessible and was on top of everything.
The size of the hotel is perfect providing every service you can think of while still succeeding in preserving an intimate and exclusive atmosphere.
I strongly recommend a stay at this place.
Enjoy !!

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MinTWorld
Reviewed January 13, 2009

The Victoria was wonderful. The perfect place for our family's visit to Angkor Wat and the surrounding area. They greeted us lavishly with comfortable seating, wet towels to refresh from our travels, and of course a fruity tropical drink. Our room was lovely, comfortable, and sufficiently spacious. We had a view of the pool and gardens. The restaurant served delicious local curries and other specialities along with the children's favorites from the US -- pizza and pasta. Great location, friendly and helpful staff, etc, etc. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone and everyone visiting Siem Reap.

• Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank trippingatw
Reviewed January 13, 2009

I've spent 4 days in Siem Reap with my family (2, 4 & 8 years old children) and stayed at Victoria Angkor. The hotel is great, but what I've loved the most was their kids club. It's brand new, his own building with A/C and kids size toilet and shower, is surounded by plenty of space for our children to run and playing in the fanced garden. They have program for different ages, lots of activities inside and outside and the staff were fantastic; ask for Soria, she is great. We didn't know the hotel had a kids club but so please to find it. My husband and I went a morning to play golf in the morning at the Angkor Golf Resort (10 mn from Victoria) when the kids were at the kids club and we took them with us visiting the temple in the afternoon. This was perfect. The hotel is kids friendly, there is small toys gifts for the kids, baby crocodile in a pond and the kids can feed them, that was a memorable experience. There is a ranch with small horses 30 mn from the hotel with an American managed, good for all the family.
We've enjoyed it and hope you will.

5  Thank reneeAustralia
Reviewed January 12, 2009

A group of four of us recently stayed at this hotel as part of a cruise package with Pandaw, a company which provides high-end travel between Ho Chi Minh and Siem Reap on beautiful boats which are replicas of the old Irriwaddy steamers from Burma. We were doing the down-river trip, so stayed at the Victoria Angkor at the very beginning of our trip. We arrived on Dec 24, having been told when we booked that there was an additional charge of USD90.00 for a Christmas gala buffet, although we weren't told exactly when this would be or what it involved. I was a bit unhappy at signing up for something without knowing what it involved and eventually emailed just before we left, asking for some more information. I did in fact receive a reply, although I didn't access emails until after our amazing Christmas buffet ... more of this later.

Our side-by-side rooms were superb, very large, upstairs with balconies looking out over the pool. The bed was enormous, very comfortable, and the general amenities in the room were very impressive - lovely furniture, dear little gifts on the pillow at night, very effective aircon, etc.

The bathroom was also spacious, but I must agree with someone else's comment that the shower had a mind and life of its own! Every hotel we stayed in in Cambodia and Vietnam used these ridiculous hand-held things that are meant to perch on the wall to provide what most people would recognise as a shower - oh to be so lucky! The first one of us to use the shower ended up spraying the whole bathroom, as well as most of the entry passage, as the shower head threw itself in a frenzy around the bath like a demented snake!!! We never did master it, having to basically hold the thing on the wall with one hand while showering. But never mind, this was the only criticism I have of this hotel.

I can't comment precisely on value for money, as we booked the hotel as part of the Pandaw package, but even at the rack rate I found on the hotel website, it looks like pretty good value to me. The breakfast was superb, and in keeping with the festive time, we drank champagne with our bacon and eggs! We lunched one day at the hotel (also included in the package), and the food was excellent.

And so, back to the Christmas buffet. The stunning pool and its surroundings had been dressed with fairy lights and candles, the chairs and tables all covered in gold and red cloth with beautiful flowers, and the staff all decked out in very Western Christmas hats, etc. The food was unbelievable - the most extensive and elaborate buffet I have ever seen in my life. There were oysters the size of teacups, along with a huge range of sushi and sashimi, a whole suckling pig, every salad you have ever dreamed of, ham, turkey, excellent Cambodian dishes, cheeses, amazing desserts, cakes and patisserie, and so much more that I can't even remember. It was well worth the money, and proved to be a lovely way to celebrate Christmas, in another place and in a different way.

I didn't try the swimming pool in the end, but it certainly looked lovely, and the way that the hotel is arranged around the pool, with lovely open air spaces and calm reflecting pools, makes for a delightful ambience.

We spent 2 days touring the Angkor complex, also part of the package, returning at night to our comfortable rooms where we could all 4 of us easily rest up on one of our balconies overlooking the pool, before venturing out on the town for an authentic Cambodian meal at one of the many excellent restaurants in Pub Street, just USD1 away in a tuk-tuk.

Once the shower heads are replaced with something more 20th century at least, this hotel would seem to me to be pretty close to heaven!

Overall, I rate this hotel very highly, for quality of amenities and service, for location and ambience, and for providing us with a once-in-a-lifetime Christmas experience.

• Stayed: December 2008