“Annoying/disappointing experience”

Ranked #49 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Cork, Ireland
“Annoying/disappointing experience”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I attended an event at this hotel recently. When I was leaving for the airport I asked the concierge to order a metered taxi for me. Naturally I was in a hurry. Even though Siem Reap has lots of such taxis, the concierge said he didn't know any of their numbers. Instead he suggested that I take a hotel car (presumably at some outrageous price). This was an unusual experience for me, usually when asked hotel staff will order a taxi with such transparent nonsense. It left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have stayed at this hotel and several of the others in this chain on previous occasions, and they are uniformly fabulous. I wish they would get this part right.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank joseph_k_smith
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Dear joseph_k_smith,

Thank you very much for your review, even though you were not happy with our services.

Contrary to what you wrote, there were, until about a month ago, no metered taxis in Siem Reap. I have since then seen yellow taxis hit the road but I do not know who they are or how to call them. However, I will follow up.

Once again, sorry about that.

Hanno Stamm

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (448)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida, United States
Reviewed April 11, 2013

We especially enjoyed relaxing at the infinity pool on the comfortable lounges after our tiring trips to the temple sites. Staff warm and friendly, rooms very large and comfortable. Only drawback, the old cage-style elevator. We had to climb to 3rd floor rooms most often. Probably it was good exercise.

Room Tip: try not to be higher than the 1st floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Susan S,

Thank you very much for your review; I am happy to hear that you had a great stay overall.

I would agree that the elevators, whilst looking nice, might not be the most practical; but then it is a design from the beginning of the last Century. We find that, with one ground floor and a 1st and 2nd floor, this is rarely an issue. We do have two elevators tucked away out of sight and gladly direct guests there that can or do not want to use the stairs.

Save travels and it would be a pleasure to have you at the Victoria Angkor again in the future.

Santa Ana, California
Reviewed April 10, 2013

My wife an I stayed in a standard room for three nights in early 2013 as part of a tour. The rooms are above average with a balcony over looking the pool. I did swim in the pool on a couple of occasions and enjoyed it.
The entire staff at the Victoria Angkor is excellent; friendly, smiling and professional. They make the stay special indeed. The king bed was comfy when you consider the volume of tourists streaming in daily. The Victoria Angkor is a legendary spot dating to the early 1900s and yet the place has a modern feel. My wife a I love to explore and we were able to walk to the Midnight shops and restaurants which are so popular in the downtown area. Safety was not a concern. We also walked along the river about a quarter of a mile in front of the hotel and it was splendid. The resort is also just a short tuk-tuk ride away from the entrance to the amazing Angkor Wat complex.
The breakfast buffet was great with a big selection to choose from.
The room are alittle tired but not bad and there is a faint musty smell, mentioned in another review. The shower stall can be tricky and care must be used getting out of it. One of our tour mates did take a minor fall getting out of the shower spaining an ankle and so again caution is advised. All in all a very good stay at the Victoria Angkor Resort and Spa.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank MrGoodAdvice60
Dear MrGoodAdvice60,

I would like to thank you very much for your extensive review; this helps me to be aware of any shortcomings we may have and to follow up with my colleagues.

I gather you had a pleasant stay overall. I do agree with you; the smell of humidity is at times present. We constantly put heaters in the rooms when they are not occupied but, with the humidity particularly high just before the rainy season, a slight smell can be present at times.

I am not quite sure what to do about the design of the bathtubs and I am sorry to hear that a friend had a mishap; I will look into this with our Chief Engineer and a designer.

Once again, thank you for your review, and it would be a real pleasure to see you at the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa again.

Salisbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We stayed 5 nights at this hotel. The service is 5* and the ambience is excellent. Location is good being in a quieter part of Siem Reap, with spacious publice gardens in front of the hotel. Walking at night in the surrounding area was safe. The hotel has a lovely old colonial feel to it that compliments a trip to the Angkor temples. The staff were all friendly and helpful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone wanting a relaxing stay whilst visiting the area.

Room Tip: Rooms at rear are closer to the road, but we did not experience any noise.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear UKTraveler206,

Thank you very much for your review; it is great to hear that you enjoyed your stay.

I do hope to welcome you to the Victoria again, should your travels take you to Siem Reap once more.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed April 10, 2013

I ended up staying in the Victoria because my "usual" Raffles was full. I was absolutely delighted with the Victoria Angkor Resort and Spa! This is in a great location, and is a gorgeous resort. The pool is located in the center of the resort and is just lovely. I had a facial at the spa and was very, very happy with it. It was a relaxing, welcoming experience and the staff was delightful.

The ONLY thing I didn't absolutely love about this hotel was that the beds are VERY VERY firm. I prefer a softer bed. I somewhat felt like I was sleeping on the floor, however I have found this fairly consistently across hotels throughout SE Asia, so I'm fairly certain it might just be a characteristic of the region.

I strongly recommend this hotel. If you're looking for a comfortable five-star resort experience close to Angkor Wat where you can retreat after a long, hot, dusty day of trekking through the area, this is a perfect choice. Have a dip in the pool, a delicious dinner, and enjoy the great service.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
hannostamm, General Manager at Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa, responded to this review, April 18, 2013
Dear lawgeek77,

I would like to thank you for your very kind review; it is always a pleasure to hear that our guests enjoyed their stay thoroughly.

I do apologize for the hard mattresses but must admit that I have yet to find the perfect mattress; and that is after 30 years in the business. Personally, I like hard mattresses (I live in the hotel) but I am currently working on getting mattress covers that would soften the bed somewhat and could be provided on request.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and I do hope to see you at the Victoria Angkor Resort & Spa again should you return to Siem Reap.

Scotland, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Although rooms are spacious they are a bit tired and need updating, the pool area is lovely but very busy sometimes difficult to get a bed, room service is best if you want anything, otherwise be prepared to wait for food and drinks at the pool and bar, up to and over an hour, almost 20 minutes we waited for a drink at the bar, after placing an order and it was not busy, so why?. Staff are friendly and polite, but don't seem to know their jobs with dirty plates not being cleared from tables at breakfast etc, trying to be positive the burgers are fantastic, but I would not stay here again. We returned from eating out last night and went to have a night cap and were told the bar was closed early for a staff party, who is this hotel being ran for, staff or paying guests, surely they could have found another bartender for the evening, we then crossed the road to Raffles hotel where we were waited on by professionals, what a difference. !

Room Tip: Rooms at the rear have restricted views and a bit of road noise
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Elaine W
Dear Elaine W,

Thank you very much for your detailed review, even though we obviously failed to meet even the most basic standards of service.

I would agree that, after a very busy high season, the rooms need sprucing up; something we start doing from next week as the low season begins.

I do apologize for the slow service at the bar and at the pool. The pool was certainly busy during your stay and the staff had a hard time to keep up; I will see how we can change procedures to improve this.

Admittedly, guests come first. However, we also look after our staff and, as part of that, we do have an annual staff party. It is the one day a year when we try and have as many staff have fun as possible; I do believe this is common across the world and I know of many business that close outright when they have their staff party.

Once again, I do apologize for the poor stay you experienced but will certainly work on the points you raised.

Jacksonville, Florida
Reviewed April 8, 2013

What a classy hotel and a place of nirvana after a hot day looking at the Temples. Our first morning the hot water didn't work, the next day we came into the room to a celebrity style basket of fruits and a bottle of wine for the inconvenience. The staff was professional and followed through with any request. The pool area is what you expect in a Tropical setting, large salt water pool enough to do laps, beautiful foliage dripping with an exotic setting to make you feel like you are living through Indochine times.
The food was fantastic and I hate to say it, we ate no where else.
I can't fault this place one iota!!

Room Tip: Of course the pool side rooms with the Balcony
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear lawgeek77,

I do thank you for your very positive review, in particular in light of you normally staying at the Raffles. Whilst we are not the Raffles by any means, I am very pleased to read that you had a great stay with us, too.

Mattresses are obviously a common topic, after 30 years in the hotel business I have yet to find a mattress that suits all our guests. Personally, a mattress cannot be hard enough as I have a bad back and soft mattreses make it worse. However, I am in the process of purchasing mattress covers; they will soften the mattress for those of our guests that prefer this.

Once again, thank you very much for your review and I do hope you will stay with us again; even if the Raffles is not full.