Absolutely incredible place to stay for four nights while touring the temples. Had very nice luxurious park view room. Morning buffet breakfasts were wonderful sitting on veranda overlooking the pool. Used the pool everyday to cool off--so elegant and large and attentive pool staff. Staff was so helpful throughout our stay. Elephant bar was special with great cocktails and nightly happy hour.
Watch the crowds while you here but despite the crowds this is amazing place.
Go to Pub Street by tuk tuk and see the fun. Make a reservation early for the Haven Restaurant just off pub street--wonderful local and western food, draft beer and owners that take in orphans to train after they have to leave the orphanage.
Do not do what everybody else does while visiting the temples.
1. Plan your sunset trip to Angkor Wat carefully. Do not go to Phnom Bakheng unless you like huge crowds and a very distant view of Angkor Wat at sunset. Find someplace peaceful. Buy a bottle of wine and bring a towel and sit out on the moat around Angkor Wat with cheese and crackers and enjoy
2. Go to back gate (east gate) to Angkor Wat after a 6AM breakfast at the hotel. Enjoy the beautiful gate and back entrance nearly by yourself vs hundreds who come to front main gate to see sunsrise.
3. Spend 2-3 hours exploring Angkor Wat before the crowds get there around 930 or 1000
4. Then go to fabulous jungle temple Ta Prohm from 10 to noon while people are visiting Angkor Wat
5. Eat a late lunch so you can go to Bayon and Angkor Thom from 12 to 230 when everybody is at lunch and the temple is nearly deserted.
6. Enjoy the Raffles the rest of the day
7. One day rent a tuk tuk and go to the real jungle temple Beng Mealea. You will get a great view of rural Cambodia in an open air tuk tuk. It is nearly 50 miles but well worth the journey and the destination. Take a car if a tuk tuk does not appeal to you for such a long journey. This will be a long day.
Raffles is incredible for the hours you are not visiting the temples
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Set across from the Royal Palace, is one of the landmark historic hotels of the legendary Grand Tour of Indochina. Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor first opened its doors in 1932 but the legend lives on today after careful restoration. The hotel is rich in Cambodia history and full of original treasures, right down to the original working cage elevator in the lobby. Our doorman still welcomes everyone in a uniform inspired by the Royal Palace With the privilege of over 15 acres of beautifully landscaped French gardens and built around the country’s largest swimming pool, the hotel is a peaceful oasis to which to retreat after exploring the temples in the UNESCO World Heritage site only 10 minutes from the hotel. Relax and revitalise under the fragrant frangipani trees beside the magnificent pool inspired by Angkorian architecture, or enjoy a massage to ease away the travel. Stroll along the river to the vibrant markets and wonderful array of dining options. In addition to beautifully restored guest rooms you can choose from one of the luxury suites, including our most popular Cabana Suites with direct access from the balcony to the garden and pool. You may be surprised to know that Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor also has two of Siem Reap’s most luxurious two-bedroom Villas, providing utmost privacy and personal butler service in the private poolside setting. Food gourmets will delight with a variety of options including the popular Raffles Afternoon Tea and the Apsara Terrace, Siem Reap’s best cultural dance performance and dinner in the poolside gardens. For golf enthusiasts, there are several international golf courses and we recommend the award-winning Nick Faldo designed Angkor Golf Resort. Golf packages are available Complete your visit to Cambodia with a stay at our sister hotel Raffles Hotel Le Royal, Phnom Penh open since 1929 and the capital city’s only luxury landmark hotel. With lush tropical gardens and built around two swimming pools it is an oasis for travelers exploring the vibrant capital. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Fairmont Hotels, Hotels.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Agoda, Hotwire, Orbitz, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Cancelon so you can book your Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Raffles Grand Hotel d Angkor
- Raffles Grand Siem Reap