“Good old days....”

Ranked #64 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Athens, Greece
“Good old days....”
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Getting greeted right at the entrance by the butler of the hotel is not very common nowadays.....and this continues with all staff of the hotel, locals or foreign. "How did you sleep tonight, sir?" asked the maid with a shy smile as I got out of the room.
The restored old wrought iron elevator to the 1st floor - of course - was always attended even if I tried to tell them that I can push the button myself.
The spa outstanding, the massage great and by the pool the drinks arrived even before we settled down.
The staff had excellent memory and were pro-active. As I was looking in the lobby for my wife the bartender came to me and informed me that my wife was at the spa - again...

Food was not 3* but quite innovative with local produce. Their extensive (well organised) cellar has everything : Chateau Margaux, Chateau Latour, Chateau Petrus, you name it.

Even if there were no Angkor Wat and the other temples in Siem Riep, I would recommend this old fashioned hotel. If only there were more.....

PS The Singapore Raffles is also great but I did not get such personal service....

Room Tip: Ask for the pool view in the main hotel or the bungalows if you have a large family and can afford i...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GPZ_one
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Thank you very much for your positive review on your stay with us and for appreciating the warm Cambodian hospitality coupled with the Raffles brand standard of service that emanates from everyone of us. I hope to welcome you again on your next visit to the magnificent Siem Reap.

Christian Sack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
shenzhen china
Reviewed March 15, 2013

This hotel lives up to all the usual high standards of raffles hotels with just a few little let downs. It's a fabulous building with loads of character and possibly the oldest lift in existence. Big rooms, with plenty of light and good decoration. Great bar and restaurant and the guided tours that the hotel offers to the temples are first class. I mean why spend this much money on a hotel and take a tour bus to the temples? The temples are awe inspiring but get there early. The major let down is the temperature control in the showers which i know isnt life threatening but these 100 year beasts require constant TLC to maintain a constant temperature...and even then a bit of dodging in and out of the water is required.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank foreverbrightchina
It is a pleasure to know that you appreciate the ambiance and the charms of the legendary Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. I do hope that you had a wonderful experience, not just in our hotel but in the whole of Siem Reap. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Having your own in house valet comes with a price but it is like a touch of royalty.
This is the place to stay in Siem Reap - only a short tuk tuk ride to the centre of town and when you return you are welcomed with cold towels and smiles.
The vast pool is a refreshing surprise and very welcome at the end of a full day of tours. Make sure to have your valet bring you complementary coffee first thing in the morning before you hit the extensive breakfast buffet - quite pleasant to eat on the terrace overlooking the pool.
Our room was gracious and well appointed with every amenity including raw grey silk kimonos.
We were sorry to have to leave after three days: it is definitely a splurge but a taste of an elegant past era.
We highly recommend Raffles if you want peace and quiet and attentive personalized (we were addressed by our name during our entire stay) service.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank ErikAlison
Thank you very much for the high praises about the entirety of Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. I trust that you had a luxurious and relaxing stay with us and I hope that you had taken memorable experiences with you to top off your splendid Cambodia experience.

Arlington, Virginia
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Raffles Grand is one of the most friendly and welcoming hotels I have ever stayed in. The staff were simply great. The hotel is conveniently located, and has good restaurants and facilities.

Our room was tasteful and large. We had a balcony overlooking the front of the hotel and gardens across the street. The bathroom was a bit funky, but that was part of the charm, as the hotel reflects its roots and has a very authentic feel to it.

The pool was a staple each afternoon, and provided a lovely setting to relax, nap, and swim. It was very low key and enjoyable. Drink service was available. While we did not use the spa, others indicated that it met expectations.

Overall, this is a great place to stay. If you want modern, look elsewhere, but Raffles will provide wonderful old world charm in Siem Reap.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Bobaloo071
I am glad that you appreciate every detail of the hotel, particularly the old world ambiance and our heartfelt service. I hope that you would be able to return soon for a repeat of your magnificent experience at Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor and Siem Reap.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Having just returned from Cambodia, Siem Reap, I would like to leave my review here for all to read.
My wife and I spent 6 days at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor and I can say that without a shadow of doubt, that this fine establishment is one of the Top 3 Hotels I have ever stayed in.

The rooms were wonderful, the staff was unbelievable, and the food was excellent. The management have together with their staff created a special environment where neatness, friendliness and honest proud smiles are the order of the day! Attention to detail, whether you are relaxing or dinning or just walking through the front door is amazing. Beware that you don't by accident use your T spoon to taste your partner's soup with, because before you can blink, you will find a soup spoon in your hand.

Seriously folks, this place make you feel more than "extra welcome", it makes you feel VIP. We had a few dietary requirements regarding allergies but that was regarded as a “Cheerful Challenge” by the Head Chef, who went out of his way to prepare fresh special meals for us.

The pool area is so inviting that you have to take an alarm clock with you, to remind you that you might have other things to do! Otherwise it is easy to lose track of time when you are chilling in a setting like that!

Christian Sacks and your entire team are to be congratulated in their ongoing endeavours to make the traveller feel special and valued in your Hotel!

PS. One tip you might want to consider. Get up early in the mornings (5.30am) and head for the temples, be there when there are very few people! You get a totally different feeling when you are the only one walikng around as th daybreaks. Get back to your Hotel around midday, have some lunch a relax and a power snooze and go out again at 3.30pm!

Room Tip: Pool Cabana Rooms are really nice, but having said that we came to see the wonderful temples!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jabbowock
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, March 6, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your remarkable review of the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor which is truly inspiring. Thank you for recognizing our every effort to make your and our every guest’s stay extra special. The Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor was built to serve as an oasis for the travelers of the temples of Angkor and we are delighted to continue that tradition. I will certainly share your kind words to the whole of my team.
We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit!

Spanish in the UK
Reviewed March 2, 2013

After several days surveying the temples for my thesis, I decided to give myself and my husband a little treat for all that hard work, so we spend our last night in Siem Reap in this hotel. Booked in advance (it was 2008) it was only US$180. It was worth every penny! The place is a paradise for a historian/archaeologist like myself. It was used during the Golden Age of Travel (early 20th century) by tourists and archaeologists alike. The place has been restored to its former glory, and it has a lot of Art Deco charm. The food is excellent, and the relaxation room, where they serve a delicious afternoon tea for US$15 per person, is really gorgeous French colonial style. I do not stay there now, cause it is out of my budget, but I go for afternoon tea when can.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Henri Mouhot room, which opens to the park,it is not noisy, so I imagine the other...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SpanishinUK_12
It is a pleasure to receive your wonderful comments about Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. I am glad that you are still captivated by the charms of this legendary hotel. We hope that we would be able to welcome you back in the future for you to discover more of our historic rooms and suites.

Wainscott, New York
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for 6 days, waking at 5:30 every morning to spend the cooler hours touring the temples. Thanks to the staff at Le Grand d'Angkor, this was stress free. The driver was in uniform and cleaned the car twice a day and offered us ice-cold water and a cool refreshing towel every time we returned to the car. Our guide spoke English well and was very knowledgable. We had the same car, driver and guide for our entire stay. Thank you Le Grand d'Angkor!

Stayed February 2013
It is wonderful to know that your six-day exploration of the magnificent and mystical temples of Angkor was memorable and comfortable. I hope that the Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor served as your luxurious sanctuary during your journey to the temple ruins. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.