“Old world elegance”

Ranked #64 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Singapore, Singapore
“Old world elegance”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

This was my third stay in this hotel and I was just as happy as the first time I visited. My boyfriend and I visited for a long weekend mainly to see the temples but wanted to relax as well. From the moment we arrived we were pampered. Our room had a small balconythat overlooked the city square. It was a wonderful spot for coffee and croissants each morning while watching the city come to life. The room was big and the fitting were beautiful. The bathroom was a bit small and the hot water was unreliable, as any old building, but the charm carried us through.

We took out temple walks independently and got our ahead of the tour buses. Leave the hotel at 8am and then come back at noon for lunch by the pool followed by a dip to cool you off!

The bar is a great place to relax prior to dinner- I loved the old fashioned cocktails. I didn't worry about the ice in the drinks at Raffles as we needed to in other restaurants and bars in Siem Reap.

The Tatar was amazing and we will treasure the memories forever.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Thank you very much for staying with us again and for your inspiring compliments. It is wonderful to know that you are still captivated by the legendary charms of Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor and rest assured that I will pass on your compliments to the whole of my team. Looking forward to welcome you back on your next visit.

Christian Sack

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (310)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

A simply exceptional hotel in Siem Reap. After a long day sightseeing at Angkor Wat, you return to this hotel with the doorman holding the door open for you and are handed a refreshing cool hand towel. No detail is too minute for this place. The turndown service in the evening is the height of indulgence. Breakfast has an amazing variety of pastries, breads, exotic yogurts, etc. It's about a 20 minute walk to the Night Market but tuk tuks drivers are more than happy to take you. Three nights/four days here is a must.

Stayed January 2013
3 Thank garprop1
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
It was a pleasure providing you with our simple luxuries and thank you for appreciating every detail of our service - a manifestation of the warm Cambodian hospitality combined with the Raffles brand’s standards of service. Thank you very much once again and we hope to serve you again in the future.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 25, 2013

On arrival my butler greeted me kindly and brought me to my room along with an orientation of the hotel along the way. He left the room only after he made sure I had everything I needed. He made a note to inform me that my room door is misaligned and I will need to pull/push to ensure it is properly closed. I didn't have an issue because old buildings in Asian climate can have these problems. (On 2 occasions my door was ajar when I returned. Someone must have noticed because it was fixed on the 3rd night. I never reported it since I didn't lose anything)

The service is genuine and I enjoyed every one of my interactions with the staff in the lobby. I look forward to seeing them everything I pass by or move in/out of the hotel.

Even when speaking English is a bit of a challenge, the staff at in-room dining/operator took every opportunity to confirm they understand my instructions correctly before wishing me a pleasant day/night.

Housekeeping was spot on and they made note of my preferences. The drainage in the shower was very poor on the first day but they got it fixed by the next day without me mentioning it.

Morning calls are accompanies by a proper tea/coffee setup delivered to my room. Waking up nicely to my favorite tea while sitting on the balcony is unbeatable.

Staff at the spa is kind and hospitable. I wish the treatment rooms have an outdoor view but it is comfortable enough for their signature treatments. The first day I booked a 180 minutes treatment which ended at 10pm. While I was soaking in the hot pool to relax the last bit of tension from my body, a staff member reminded me that the spa has closed which is a bit of a let-down because I was expecting a little flexibility here. I wouldn't have mind at all if they head off home first and leave me to relax. Since I don’t know their living conditions/environment well, I made a quick exit so they could leave.

Yes I know you there are plenty of other hotels around which are also very nice and you pay a lot less for similar facilities and Raffles is not architecturally designed or furnished to reflect the traditional Khmer experience. As every hotelier or most travellers will tell you, while the hardware is important, it is the software that will pull at your heartstrings and the ladies and gentlemen of the Raffles have done just that. At check-out I said to many of them I will miss them, and it is true. I wish they too can visit Singapore so I can return the same genuine service and care they extended for the true Khmer experience I came to Siem Reap for.

Raffles has all the facilities and Restaurants for a 5 Star experience but I didn't dine in the restaurants because I was too busy enjoying Cambodia.

Since the building is old and located in Siem Reap, the following observations did catch my attention but they did not bother me since I always believe that the traveller must associate themselves with the correct time and place. These are merely observations and very subjective, which you may or may not consider when selecting this charming hotel worthy of a visit.

- The HVAC sound is very obvious and even more so during the night.
- Calling for the classic elevators does not always work when you are not on the ground floor.
- You can hear the plumbing (slightly) when your neighbours flush.
- Mattress feels old and not very luxurious.
- The hotel has 4 rooms without bathtubs.
- Odd design where the clothes closet is built-in with the television console, separated with the TV in the middle.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thank you very much for an all-encompassing review of Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor. I am glad that you appreciate every minute detail of our service, delicately and wholeheartedly provided in order to create memorable experiences for our guests such as you. I hope that we had fulfilled this goal with you and we look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Los Angeles
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Visiting there in December, My wife and daughter and I found this hotel deserving of its sterling reputation, beautiful and old-world elegant. Because of Xmas season we got late pick in rooms, which were so-so., but more than compensated for by the atmosphere and service. The one complaint which we, and several other guests shared with us, is that we felt that we were being gouged by restaurant prices. Somehow, the high room rates, understood and accepted inj advance, were not the problem. I suggested to management that they raise room rates and lower restaurant prices to make customers happy but they demurred.

Room Tip: travel in the off season -rates and choices are much better
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
RafflesSiemReap, General Manager at Raffles Grand Hotel d'Angkor, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our rooms. With regards to your concern regarding our restaurant prices during the Festive Season, we always make sure that our prices remain competitive in comparison to other five-star hotels in the area, particularly during the Festive Season, as affirmed by our competition survey during the said period.

I hope that you had a relaxing and enjoyable stay and I hope that you had a magnificent time exploring the wonders of Angkor. We are looking forward to welcome you back again in the future.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I wish I could live here, this place offers the best service I have had anywhere in the world. The staff are so helpful and thoughtful, but not in a way to make you feel embarrassed. The facilities are great, Raffles has everything you could want from a hotel. My husband and I stayed there for 4 glorious days last August, we visited many temples and sites, but it was always fantastic to return to the hotel. The breakfast is amazing!
We can not wait to return!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs_CXD
Thank you very much for your compliments regarding our service. I am glad that you experienced the best at Raffles Grand Hotel d’Angkor and I hope that you had a magnificent visit to the temples of Angkor. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again in this legendary hotel.

massachusetts
Reviewed January 24, 2013

very well kept and managed, with all the original charm and state of the art updates. beautiful rooms overlooking a huge and serene pool and gardens. charming staff, terrific breakfast, great spa and all only 20 minutes from some of the most breathtaking ruins on earth

Room Tip: the rooms without balconies (balconies are very tiny) are larger and more comfortable. noise is not...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
A warm appreciation for your simple yet inspiring compliments. I hope you had a wonderful and memorable time exploring the magnificent Angkor ruins. We are looking forward to welcome you back again in the future.
Sydney
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Grand Hotel d'Angkor is wonderful hotel in the old colonial style. From the moment you enter you are treated to wonderful service by smiling charming Cambodian people. The concierge always available to help with luggage or packages or to welcome you back to hotel with cold towel. Rooms are large and furnished in the colonial style. The pool is wonderful for that early morning dip. Champagne breakfasts excellent with a great quality selection to choose from. Hotel is in a handy and central location within walking distance of the Museum which should not be missed. I highly recommend the Hotel if you are visiting Siem Reap.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for appreciating our hotel setting as well as our warm Cambodian hospitality. It is great to know that you had enjoyed our champagne breakfast and I hope that you had great time exploring the wonders of Siem Reap. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.