“5 Star all the way!”

Ranked #23 of 344 Hotels in Siem Reap
North Palm Beach, Florida
“5 Star all the way!”
Reviewed December 10, 2009

In my 40 years of traveling the world, this Sofitel in Siem Reap(Angkor Wat) Cambodia is right up at the top of a group of Real 5 Star hotels. The entire staff was superb. I highly recommend it. I also had the best massage of my life at the spa..

• Stayed November 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Oxford
Reviewed December 9, 2009

In all my travels, I can honestly say that it would be hard to beat the friendly, smiling service at the Sofitel Angkor Wat. The staff were superb, the facilities excellent, the room spotless, and the whole ambience wonderful. I normally travel all over the world for work as a free-lance tour manager, and I chose this hotel for my own personal holiday. never having visited Cambodia before. I was not disappointed. Whilst I was staying in the hotel, there was a cultural music and dance programme every evening, but this may not be available throughout the year

• Stayed December 2009, traveled solo
Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed November 14, 2009

We would definately stay there again.. the staff cannot do enough for you and the rooms were lovely and extremely clean. Something quite memorable was the foot massages we got in the cabanas.. they were heaven!!!! We came back and got another one the next day!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LisaWallaceAUS
aejii
Reviewed October 27, 2009

I visited the Sofitel for three nights in August and what a difference it made. I arrived back every evening to find a calm and relaxing place, one I thought I might become bored it with it not being in the center of things. The bar is lovely, be sure to spend some time talking to the locals who work there. The place is large, so if you are a solo traveler and feel the need to be surrounded by a large number of people, you may want to rethink this hotel. The location is a few minutes by tuk-tuk to downtown, but I didn't venture out much in the evenings because I was there to relax. Highly recommend. And, as others have mentioned, if you have a chance, book Soluy Loeurt as a guide for at least a day. She was amazing and showed me great ways to better use my camera. Enjoy!

• Stayed August 2009, traveled solo
3 Thank aejii
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 6, 2009

We stayed for six nights recently and it has become one of our favourite hotels anywhere. Unlike some of the new hotels in Siem Reap, the Sofitel has an understated and classy elegance which instantly makes you feel welcome. Our room was one of the few standard rooms with a balcony, on the 3rd floor. The room was well maintained, the bed extremely comfortable but the bathroom is slightly smaller than you might expect.
There's a TV with channels for most European languages, mini-bar, safe, free bottled water each day and small desserts most nights as part of the turndown service. The internet service is quite expensive.

As it was low season the main restaurant was closed so we ate at the Explorer bar or had room service, apart from one night at the French restaurant for the Apsara dance performance. Apart from a couple of dishes, the food was very good. They also have a bakery so you can buy fresh pastries, cakes and baguettes each morning, useful when setting off for the temples and you don't fancy paying for the standard breakfast. After 18:00 most of the cakes and baguettes are half-price.

The large pool was empty most of the time and is perfect after a long day trekking around the temples. The spa is also very good but luckily we received vouchers for a free massage each, otherwise it's the usual high-end spa prices.

The hotel is a fair walk to the town centre (20 mins) but it's a cheap tuk-tuk ride ($2) to get to all the bars and restaurants.

Service here is amongst the best we've experienced anywhere and the staff greet you by name and know your room number. If we return to Siem Reap we will stay here again, even though it costs significantly more than most hotels there.

While visiting the temples over three days we cycled, used a taxi and finally a tuk-tuk. Only attempt to cycle if you're quite fit as the temperature was about 35C with high humidity. Bring plenty of $1 notes as everything costs $1, including a glossy guide book called Ancient Angkor. Buy this book and it'll instantly get rid of some of the sellers when you show it to them. The rest will still pester you to buy postcards, scarves, handbags and cold drinks but the young sellers are friendly enough, with a few exceptions.

We didn't make it to sunrise over Angkor Wat (too lazy!) but climbed up Phnom Bakheng for the sunset. My advice is to skip the sunset there as it's massively overcrowded and Angkor Wat is a speck in the distance, so you need a very long zoom lens. It's better to remain at Angkor Wat itself. The Bayon nearby is also very nice in the late afternoon.

We took a boat ride to Battambang which lasted 6½ hours in a smallish wooden boat. The ticket you buy shows a modern speed boat which looks nothing like the one you'll be taking! The trip itself is fascinating and unforgettable, where you see many floating villages and the level of poverty the inhabitants deal with. There's one brief stop at a floating village when the drivers stop for lunch and you can buy some snacks and drinks, otherwise it's whatever you bring or buy at the departure port. There is a toilet onboard but we saw no one even think about using it. The boat service is used by locals so it's a normal service, not one dedicated to tourists. Battambang itself isn't as pretty as we'd been led to believe and it's only a 2 ½ hour taxi ride back to Siem Reap ($40) along paved roads the entire trip.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Bergkamp9999
India
Reviewed September 22, 2009

I got to stay two nights at the Sofitel Royal for two nights, Siem Reap, Cambodia, out of which one night was courtesy, American Express under their Rewards Scheme. Sofitel Royal, in my opinion, is the oasis in this Cambodian town of Ancient Angkor and landmine-victims. The hotel is a blend of French and Khmer architecture. They say Sofitel Royal Angkor is the first 5-star hotel in Siem Reap and is the closest to the Angkor Wat ruins. Set in tranquil, landscaped gardens, welcome was very warm and they allowed me early checkin as my Bangkok Airways flight landed at 0855 and I rushed straight to the hotel. The staff are very cordial and bend backwards to accomoodate even your silliest and whimsical requests. The hotel has 214 comfortable and elegantly furnished rooms, 24 suites, a beautiful pool, a luxury spa, five restaurants and three bars. We had a complimentary upgrade to a suite on the first floor, close to the amoeba or octopus-like swimming pool. They say there are four five resturants. But we saw only three.

We had stayed in the hotel and had never expected that we will be so facinated with the Hotel that we woulnt feel like leaving the same and going anywhere else. The Hotel management was just great, in Cambodia, of all places, and the service was so prompt that we were astonished.
The Wayfarer's Pub was has some finest pastries to go with some unconventional cocktails. They say the other restaruant the Leaf on the Stone Bar and Mouhot's Dream which used to offer a fine dining establishment offering French-Asian fusion cuisine were closed. The hotel's spa offers a variety of health treatments including massage and its pool is one of the most impressive in Siem Reap, but neither my wife nor me ventured as the charges were frebiding. I tried some wine flight or choose your favorite wines. THE CITADEL - All-day dining restaurant was really good, with an eclectic western and Asian buffet caters to everyone's favourite needs. I had read that they have nightly Khmer dances, but they were to be only during May to October. We had a fine terrace in our sutie and it was an ethereal expereience to order room service - dead cheap - dine on terrace and gaze out onto the scenic gardens and experience the fantastic services of the hotel staff. My wife wanted to have some pepper sauce and they did not hve any. What they did - surprising, they powdered some pepper, put some vengar and added some white sauce. It was almost European. All within fice minutes.

Breakfast at Citadel comprised a nice selection of salad, pastas and pizzas make this venue one of the most trendy for the best value of money. Ask Sokun, the waiter girl over there, who will explain and serve the best of cusine, mostly made to order, to suite your purse and palate. the resurant itself evokes a colonial-era atmosphere, is a popular place for an aperitif or post-dinner drinks.

Oh yeah, as for Angkor Wat: beautiful, spectacular, breathtaking, and definitely worth the price of admission. We had a private taxi driver take us from temple to temple, his name is Mr. Kriss and if you're ever in Siem Reap look him up, he's great. He speaks English. The other temples were also nice but how many piles of rubble can you look at in 45 degree heat before you're done, unless you're a Khmer historian or archaeologist. So, we spent two nearly full days checking them out, then checked out a night jaunt for Apsara dance for a change of pace.Oh yeah, and the best meal we've had thus far was at No. 12 outside of Ta Prohm in Angkor, Khmer curry to die for. Yes, each person has their stand and their own prep area, and we randomly chose No. 12 over its neighbors Nos. 11 and 13. We did sunset at Angkor and sunrise at Angkor Wat itself, both were somewhat disappointing, but I praise our motivation.

Back to the hotel, were we were spoilt for choice during our free time. A large swimming pool and outdoor Jacuzzi are perfect retreats from the heat of Siem Reap. The hotel strongly advised me to take advantage of the professional masseurs at the Sofitel’s spa, where one can indulge your senses in one of the western or traditional Khmer treatments. The Phokeethra Country Club is a world class golf course is accentuated by a luxurious clubhouse and outstanding dining. But it is 18 kms far and during our stay there was a world class tournament. Golfers of all abilities are challenged as the course features a mix of par 3, par 4, and par 5 holes.

As far as hospitality is concerned, I always felt that the Taj of India are the best. Still I maintain that. But the Sofitel staff at Siem Reap are no worse. They have the traditional hospitality of the Indo-China and efficiency of the Europeans when it comes to entertaining the whimsical ro eceentric requests of the guests. We wanted fresh flowers every day for our deity worship and after an evening stroll we had the flowers we wanted. Neatly arranged in a bowl or basket.

A stay worth remembering. reminiscing. Repeating.

• Liked — Best hospitality, good fod
  • Disliked — None in my view
  • Stayed September 2009
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
5 Thank krishnamrutam
Houston, TX
Reviewed July 22, 2009

If going read the Lonely Planet Guide and get a guide from one of the services provided..it is not expensive and is worth it!!

• Stayed February 2006, traveled as a couple