“Feel like royalty”

Ranked #23 of 344 Hotels in Siem Reap
Alberta, Canada
“Feel like royalty”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

when you stay at the Sofitel Hotel in Siem Reap, you are treated like royalty. The staff are all so friendly and addommodating. The place is spotlessly clearn. The grounds are beautiful, immaculate and peaceful. The pool area is wonderful. The rooms are amazing. Truly one of the nicest hotels we have ever stayed in and for such a cheap price.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Fabrice D, General Manager at Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra Golf and Spa Resort, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for the review and all your flattering comments! Your message means a lot to us as it is what we are committing ourselves to do for each and every guests walking through our doors. We achieved our goal! Your fantastic review is displayed on our hotel ambassador notice board for everyone to take part, it definitely gives us all a boost of encouragement and motivation. Again, thank you for staying with us, we would all love to welcome you back one day – Fabrice Ducry General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed January 26, 2013

The hotel is one of the last hotels located on the road that goes from the city to the angkor temple complex (there is only Le Meridien after that) so its a bit away from the city center of siem reap (but then its a small city). Hypothetically you could walk out of the hotel and to restaurants & shops nearby, but after a day of temple walking, one will most likely either eat at the hotel, or need to take a tuk tuk to the city center.

The reception area is like a small arcade selling lots of souvenirs, live musicians and its a longish walk to the rooms around a big pond & the swimming pool. The rooms are in a G+2 floor building near the pool.

For the temples, the hotel concierge arranges guides @ $33 per day (our taxi offered guides @ $30, so not very different). If you take a tuk tuk from the hotel for a day (8 hrs.) its $18, and a taxi is around $55. Tuk tuk is highly recommended over a taxi if the weather is good. If you negotiate outside then you can get a taxi for around $30 per day (all these rates are for the peak season)

Breakfast is extensive & the staff is very polite and friendly. We loved the la'occitane toiletries in the room although our room had a few mosquitos which was annoying, especially since the windows in the room don't even open. The ground floor rooms have sliding doors that you can use to access the pool directly.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chetan J
Thank you for sharing you experience at the Sofitel Angkor on TripAdvisor. It truly was a pleasure to have you and your family stay with us earlier this year. I am glad to hear the friendliness of our “Ambassadors” and our L’Occitane amenities, could contribute in making your stay with us enjoyable. I have taken note of your feedback regarding the windows in the guest rooms, I will discuss the issue with our owners for their review. Again, thank you for your feedback, we would all love to welcome you back one day – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Singapore
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Stayed 2 nights here. very fulfilling stay. rooms are very nice with the Cambodian touch decor. Breakfast was one of the best with varieties. The dinner at one of the restaurant was fantastic. Overall we enjoyed our stay but i feel the staff were little cold. Overall a great place to stay in Siem Reap.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for the review. I am very happy to hear that you had an enjoyable stay with us and would call us a “Great place to stay in Siem Reap”. I, however was surprised about your comment on the service from our Ambassadors that you may have felt a little “cold”, as I very frequently hear guests praising the friendliness and charm of my team. I can personally guarantee that you will experience this, should you one day decide to return to us – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Manama, Bahrain
Reviewed January 26, 2013

At the airport, I was picked up by their car (you need to order this service from the hotel and it's not very cheap). Got cold water and towel to refresh myself - it's a standard in 5 star hotels, so wasn't really excited about that.

The hotel is located very close to the major Siem Reap attraction - the temples. It makes the location unbeatable. It didn't take me long time to get there.

Upon arrival the host will take care of your checking-in process, while you will be enjoying cold towel to refresh yourself. You will also get a welcome drink - ice tea.
I was taken to my room which had nice view. Loved their wooden floor. But didn't appreciate the the fact that you cannot open the window.

Bathroom, like the rest of the room, was very clean and had a shower and a bathtub.

I have booked a temples tour with them (they provide a car for $110 for 8 hours and a profesional tour guide - $33). Probably you can find a cheaper car, but it was convinient for me to use theirs (what was really cool - and actually I could see the private cars were doing the same thing - after coming back to the car after seeing temples, I was getting cold water and a towel. During hot months you will really appreciate it).

I had some food in their restaurant and I wasn't impressed. First time I had deep fried spring rolls with pork (for my taste, they shouldn't put glss noodles inside just to fill up the space), tom yum soup (was actually good) and amok - Khmer fish. At least in their menu was written it's fish, but in fact it's a fish cake. It was nice, but I didn't appreciate the fact that I didn't get what I was looking for (a fish - without a cake...) I also had a glass of white house wine which was good.

Second time I had a quick lunch - greek style salad and club sandwich. Wasn't impressed again. It was just ok.

But what I didn't like during my visits in their restaurant, was service. Not that it was horrible, but it took them some time to bring me my food (even if it wasn't busy). Plus, I had to remind them about wine and water I have ordered. In 5 star places I would expect more.

I also booked a SPA visit which I highly recommend. Their SPA menu is quite big and everyone will find something to suit their taste.

They also have large swimming pool and the outdoor bar (you can have your drink while in the water). I've seen many people swimming, but I didn't, so not sure if the experience is nice or not.

I would stay in this hotel again

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for sharing your experience at the Sofitel Angkor on TripAdvisor. Comments such as yours are very important to us as it is a tool that helps us moving forward and review our processes. As you can imagine, all the operations team and I are back on our drawing boards to review where they may have failed in creating “Magnifique” experiences. Despite the few minor shortfalls, I am happy that your overall experience was positive, and that you would not hesitate to give us a another opportunity to demonstrate our “savoir faire”. We all look forward to that day… – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Really enjoyed the Sofitel. Was upgraded to the Prestige Suite- Large and roomy. Free internet service.Lovely happy service from all. Large hotel with a gorgeous pool and water features throughout the grounds. Good Location. Very good food. Excellent nightly cultural dances. If you dont want to spend $35 for a buffet just order al a carte and you can still enjoy the dancing.
Definitely recommended.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Thank you the review and your kind comments about your stay at the Sofitel Angkor. Though we had the pleasure to receive several comments about guests stay in the past few days, I do take great pride in responding to each of them with the same enthusiasm. Positive comments such as yours a key element of motivation for my team as it make us feel proud and happy that all our efforts do not go unnoticed. I will make sure to pass on your feedback to the team. We all look forward to welcoming you back during your next visit to Siem Reap – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Michigan
Reviewed January 24, 2013

I stayed here with my husband and two college-aged children and had a great stay. The hotel is sprawling, built around a lovely pond and spacious pool. The grounds are lovely and the hotel has a welcoming feel upon arrival. The staff was charming and helpful and made us feel right at home. This hotel is a five star for the area it is situated in, it might not compare to a five star in Bangkok or Singapore, but for Cambodia, it is top-notch. (Until the early 1990's, this country was considered a war-torn country. The progress this country has made is amazing.) The breakfast buffet was wonderful, with a good choice of asian and western food choices. The pool bar was the only negative, a beer was $8 US dollars! The rooms were extremely comfortable, we had a first floor room, facing the pool with a covered deck and two deck chairs. There was a small computer room, I was able to check in for our return flight and print off boarding passes. This hotel was about a 10 minute tuk tuk ride into town (night market and Pub Street) and is between town and Angkor Wat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for sharing you experience at Sofitel Angkor on TripAdvisor. We are happy to hear you and your family had an enjoyable stay with us and certainly pleased that you find us a good choice for hotel in Siem Reap. I also take your comments with regards to the pricing for beer at the pool seriously and will personally review it with my F&B Manager. Thank you again for your feedback, we look forward to welcoming you back – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager
Kirkland, Washington
Reviewed January 23, 2013

A beautiful resort hotel, with gorgeous grounds. The room was comfortable, with L'Occtaine amenities. The breakfast was delicious, with lots of choices. It was great to have a pool to relax and cool off in after a very HOT morning at Angor Wat.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for writing a review about your stay at the Sofitel Angkor. I am glad that you enjoyed your time with us and that we could provide a little oasis to relax and cool down after a warm day roaming the Angkor temples. We all very much look forward to welcome you back during your next visit to Siem Reap – Fabrice Ducry/General Manager