“Photography workshop wit Eric D Vries”

Photo Cambodia Photo Tours and Workshops
Ranked #220 of 958 Tours in Siem Reap
More attraction details
Owner description: Welcome to Photo Cambodia. Photo Cambodia's tours and workshops are operated by Eric d Vries, a professional photographer and Cambodia expert who specialises in capturing the real Cambodia, away from the tourist traps and chaotic crowds. With his help, photographers can not only learn to take better pictures, but they will discover that the beautiful landscapes and culture of Cambodia make for the most spell binding photographs. Photo Cambodia offers a range of private workshops and tours that are ideal for providing both beginners and experts with high-quality, one-to-one tutoring in the finer points of photography. Eric is specialised in Fine Art - Documentary - Portraits and Street Photography. His Angkor Fine Art prints are in collections all over the world.
Reviewed February 19, 2017

We booked one day at the temples and one day country site to learn more about real photography and not shooting on automatic.
Eric proved to be a great instructor and ingrained the basics very quickly by his credo "closer and darker" that contributed to better results instantly. Besides that he could tell a lot about the history and the Khmer people whereas he lives there already over 10 years.
It was a great experience and we had a lot of fun, also very important.
See our shots on Instagram under 'rienenjokemooolhuizen' if you are not yet convinced.

All reviews
"cambodia"
in 18 reviews
"session"

Reviewed January 8, 2017

I found Eric´s tour and workshop here on TA and I am so glad that I did!

Being an amatour/hobby photographer I booked my first phototour ever wanting a great tour around Angkor with a professional photographer who could show and teach me more about photography in the middle of a great wonder - the Angkor complex!

Had a full day tour - Eric picked us up at 5:00am heading for sunrise at Angkor Wat.
During our day we also visited Preah Khan, the Terrace of the Leper King, the Bayon temple and a great photoshoot with monks at Prasat Kleang.

Eric knows the complex very well and picked the perfect timing for visiting the different temples. I was very glad that he took us to places less crowded and with few other tourists, making the photo opportunities even better and I could take my time..

Eric was a great teacher - pointing out great objects, creative compositions - thought me to work with the elements, the light and made me thinking in new ways choosing my photo objects.
And not to forget - he was very patient with me - thank you Eric, you´re the best!

We had a great lunch in the middle of the day and cold water was provided for on a very hot day. We returned to our hotel around 4:00 pm after a great day out!

Looking back on that day and at my photos - going on the photo tour with Eric was dollars very well spent!
"Make it darker" has been ringing in my head since this day - AKON Eric!

A day I will remember forever! Highly recommended, you will not regret it!

1  Thank Butterflies22
Reviewed December 31, 2016

Prior to my day with Eric, I will admit I was very apprehensive and nervous being the novice "auto" shooter that I was. I have a camera on auto and that was all I knew...it worked. Eric turned me into a Manual Setting kind of gal. His approach to teaching, his techniques, his personality, his day planned to perfection has made me want to practice exactly what he preached in a very unpreachy way.....does that make any sense? All his prior reviews ring true. Thanks Eric for being the photo guru......

Reviewed December 29, 2016

Eric picked me up at the hotel at 5:00am and we headed off for sunrise at Angkor Wat. I'd been there a few days earlier in the afternoon and Eric used a different path which took us down to the waters edge in front of the temple. Lots of people around but had our spot ready as the sun rose.

After that it was to the South Gate at Angkor Thom but managed to squeeze in a photo of a Buddha on the way out when Eric demonstrated his creative eye in his composition.

Really enjoyed our time at the Terrace of the Leper King which contains some great carvings with some colour relief.

I really liked Eric's style. He spoke about what he tries to do and then issues a challenge to take a photo incorporating different elements and then comparing both attempts.

I thought the benefit would be of going round with someone who would be able to take me to places that were less crowded but which deserved attention and Eric certainly did this but he also got me thinking of new ways of looking at images.

The places we visited included Sunrise at Angkor, South Gate of Angkor Thom, Terrace of the Leper King, Preah Khan and the Bayon overview.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 24, 2016 via mobile

My day with Eric and his photography tour was probably my favorite vacation day ever. Why? Because Eric is: talented, organized, funny, and insightful. He walked into our hotel to pick us up for the tour and immediately noticed that I had just used the flash on my camera...a no-no for a street photographer. And then it was uphill from there...a day of pure enjoyment. He had all our locations and transportation to them totally organized. He took us to a small village and its market that we would never have seen on our own...where the people there were familiar enough with him to allow us to photograph them. Another example of his planning and attention to detail was his taking us to an empty pagoda where he closed every window but one which then let in a stream of light that fell directly onto the face of a statue which we could then photograph. Later, after providing us with a terrific lunch he led us down a river to a remote floating village- another great target to shoot with our cameras. As a teacher ( as I am myself) Eric is top- notch, offering criticism and praise; and he can take it as well as dish it out.
Lastly, I must say that Eric created a monster....he converted my wife from a novice to now a passionate photographer.
Eric, you're the best!