“Variable staff”

Ranked #144 of 342 Hotels in Siem Reap
Osaka, Japan
“Variable staff”
Reviewed September 15, 2012

I popped in here while my bag was in storage and I was walking around generally comparing places. The building was distinctive, and red, and I walked into the large lobby and a guy came up and told me about the rooms. He spoke near perfect English and showed me a few. I think a single attached was eight dollars. We sat on the balcony and chatted generally. I tried to haggle a weekly price but he wouldn't come down. Overall it seemed OK and I said I'd think about it.

I walked around a few more places. I also went online and found that the room I was shown was going for eleven bucks online, so I was getting it cheaper. So, I decided to go back and take it.

As I approached the entrance, the guy with good English was gone but the other receptionist was there and he seemed quite unfriendly suddenly. Another, older guy came out and looked at me as though he was suspicious or angry. 'What do you want?', he snapped. I said I was here about a room earlier. He talked in Khmer to the receptionist and they told me the room was still there but their behaviour was so odd that I left.

So, in conclusion, the rooms seemed OK, and one of the staff, but the others were changeable and I'm not sure about it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank lifemagic

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed September 8, 2012

I was recommended to the Sidewalk by my tuktuk driver after my booking at the Green Garden fell through with no notice. I stayed for 8 nights and would certainly stay again.

The location is good - an easy walk to the market and Pub Street area. There are laundries ($1 per kilo) in the street. There is an excellent supermarket 5 minutes walk away.

My room was spacious and comfortable with a spotlessly clean bathroom. The staff are really friendly, chatty and helpful. It was always a pleasure to sit around talking to them.

Breakfast - a choice of 4 items was available from (I think) 6.30 am - very good if you want to make an early start.

Thanks for a great stay

2 Thank swisshunter
Reviewed September 3, 2012 via mobile

From the moment we got picked up for free at bus station to the moment we arrived after a LONG bus ride we were greeted with smiling faces and breakfast waiting (even thou it was 7am) rooms were clean, big and CHEAP! best beds in Cambodia!! Hot shower!!! Location perfect!! Staff there went above and beyond to help us, this place was reccomended by a friend and I would 100% reccomend as THE ONLY place to stay in SR. And u get free fish massage!!

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank Travel-luvely
Matsumoto, Japan
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights in one of the double rooms on the ground floor. The room and bathroom were massive compared to what I had been used to staying in for a similar price and the rooms was cleaned daily.
Staff are very friendly and helpful - will help sort out tuk-tuks, tours of Angkor Wat and also helped with my transfer to and accommodation in Phomn Penh.

When I return for my Volleyball rematch with the owners, I will be sure to stay there again!

2 Thank Thomas G
Hanoi, Vietnam
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I absolutly agree with Sidneywalkerb. I stayed this Hotel 4 night and i feel so comfortable.
This hotel is near Night Mark, about 5 minutes for walk. Cleanliness, comfortable and funny. Good value for money. Thanks so much.

Room Tip: big room and clean
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank hoa541
Calgary, Canada
Reviewed August 28, 2012

Recently stayed at the Side Walk hotel for 4 nights and had an excellent experience. The owner and staff are extremely friendly and helpful. They even provided me with free moto rides to places nearby and helped me out with stomach medication when I wasn't feeling well.

The hotel is only 6 months old, is well maintained, extremely clean and only a 5 minute walk form pub street and the night market. They provide breakfast and free wifi on all floors with 3 routers so you have excellent signal in your room. When I went early to catch the sunrise they packed my breakfast for me at 5am!

I would definitely recommend Side Walk to those who want a reasonably affordable option with the luxuries of a more expensive hotel. Had a great stay and will be back.

Room Tip: Had a great room next to the balcony with large windows
2 Thank Paul D
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 27, 2012

For $16 a night this place is quite good value, but a few not so good aspects.

On checking-in, the young guy on reception inquired if I would like "happy smoke". Some of the backpackers might view this as brilliant customer service, but I was a bit taken aback. And when he offered me "girl for massage", I would have turned on my heals and hot footed it out of there except it was late in the day.

Rooms are large, basic & clean enough. Wifi in room free & ok. Breakfast quite poor - one egg scrambled or fried with bread-roll & self-serve tea/coffee.

Location is handy to markets & Pub street area.

Would I return ? Probably would check out other places based on my check-in experience.

3 Thank SydneyWalkerb