“This place is a gem!”

Ranked #100 of 292 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed February 18, 2013

My wife and I spent 4 nights here as part of our honeymoon trip. This place is a real paradise. Much better then what I was expecting. This is a great place to come back to after a day touring the temples. The pool is very relaxing and the free massages are a huge plus! The hospitality is wonderful, the staff is very accommodating and do everything to make you feel welcome. It was a real pleasure meeting Sokthy, the hotel manager. She is a very nice lady and the rest of a staff clearly follows her lead. Sokthy even gave us a very nice parting gift. Pub street is about a 20 minute walk away which we found to be very nice. The tuk-tuks are cheap, but walking is also nice in order to check out more of the city. I would recommend Retreat Villa Boutique and Spa to anyone planning on spending a few days in Siem Reap. My only recommendation for improvement is that it would be great to be able to open the windows in the pool facing villas to let in some light, but still have some sort of mosquito net to control for the bugs. Small suggestion though considering how much time you spend outside your room.

Room Tip: Upgrade to the deluxe pool villas, you will be happy you did.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WideAngleLense
Retreat Villa B, Owner at Retreat Villa Boutique & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 19, 2013

Hi there,

Thank you so much for choosing Retreat Villa as preferred choice. Delighted to hear of your great memorable experience you have had and we thrilled upon learning that we, Retreat Villa offered the total satisfaction to you. It nothing makes our day better and staffs smile besides seeing our resident left with fond experience after the stayed with us. I must thank you for sharing your value comment on this forum.

Thank you very much for your encouragement and recommendation our place to other and we owed you with a big thank you and wish, hope to welcome you back home soon.

There are newer reviews for Retreat Villa Boutique & Spa

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Let me be very honest, starting this review with the fact that they have the best staff ever, they are helpful, very friendly and always smiling, the pool is huge and great after strolling around from the temples, but just have 3 pool chairs for a 17 rooms hotel. The Retreat is 10 minutes by Tuk-Tuk to the hot area in Siem Reap; Pub Street and Market Night Street. Sometimes we will find drivers that will know the hotel, sometime don’t. The place is super clean, and the smoothies are great, the staff assisted us planning our day trip and finding a driver/guide very quickly.

Some area that they need to work are; the amount of mosquitoes inside the rooms and outdoors is tremendous, the breakfast options were no that many; and the quality of the food is OK, Internet is a miss or hit situation.

I email the hotel 2 days before to be pickup at the airport and nobody showed for 30 minutes, when we arrived in the hotel, we were told that the driver was late, make sure that you have a plan B, the Tuk-Tuk was about $USD7, last something basic like towers was a shore as you need to ask and they give you just one, for the price and the competition in this area I was expecting a little bit more, I thing they need a little big more management.

The best part as I mentioned was the great staff, really hardworking people that just need a little guidance.

Room Tip: Make sure that you are in the second floor or in the pool area view, the first floor can get loud at...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

What a lovely words!

It means so much to our staff member heart to hear of how our Resident enjoy the moment and the great memorable experience offered by Retreat Staff in particular Chivit who did in his best capacity to ensure our resident feel this this is their home.

Your comment has well received by me, and the whole team of Retreat Villa for area of improvement, without those frank comments such as yours we cannot achieve our objective of making sure the resident will and always appreciated what we, Retreat Villa offered. Thank you

I, on behalf of staff member wish to extend our profound appreciation to you that chose our place of your choice during the recent trip in Siem Reap. We are looking forward to welcoming you back home soon no in far distance.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

This place would have scraped a 'good' had it not been for the appalling (VIP) onward journey that I paid extra for by booking with reception. 17 people, with baggage squashed in to a 17 seat mini bus with questionable air con and driving abilities endured for several hours!

Anyway positives - a very pleasant little hotel that wouldn't look out of place in Tuscany, very clean, well priced and very friendly staff who really try their best for you. A very nice relaxing massage.

Negatives - Food! Whilst breakfast is OK and served with a nice fresh fruit smoothie, I ate dinner one night and found it disappointingly well below average. Crab curry - lots of shell no accessible crab meat!
A lovely pool area, but with remarkably only 3 sun loungers, and very dubious electrical extension cable and socket (I think powering the filter) sitting right next to the pool!
A nice terrace that catches the afternoon sun, with seating what so ever!

There appeared to be little attention to detail in the part of the hotel where I was staying, whilst clean, cleaning equipment and random things just kicking around in communal areas, stopped clocks etc.

No hot water in my room

Location is ok, but just a little far to walk in to the bar and restaurant area, only $2 in a tuk tuk (some will try and charge more)

All in all although I'm being critical, a nice little place to stay and whilst I rated average it is certainly the upper end of average. The staff were great but I felt a bit more leadership was needed. I highly recommend the hotel reviews the tour company they book onward journeys with! As it was nothing short of awful!!

One last thing and PLEASE READ - Its was MUCH cheaper booking directly with the hotel than going through Agoda!!

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel... They run special offers and it works out cheaper than Agoda, Asia...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank oldblueeyes77

Hi there,

First for all, allow me to extend my profound appreciation of choosing Retreat Villa as place of your preferred during the recent trip exploring the world best known monument Angkor Wat in Siem Reap.

I like to express my heartfelt to you after reviewing the comment you have shared and it meant lots to me and I spoke to our staff member and shared with them how to improve our service of ensuring the resident will always enjoy and happy whilst stays with us. We all so delighted to make the changes of any mean to improve our quality. I am gratify that you did in-fact enjoy the stayed at Retreat Villa.

We took every comment very seriously by applying to the property level of making sure our resident left with smile. This is what we, with full courage to make it happens as human act there are issue may happens with unintentional manner for which I must apology.

I, on behalf of staff member wish to thank you for giving us the confident and comment.

Reviewed February 4, 2013

Big thanks and congratulations to Mr Vit, Savon and the newly appointed general manager Sokunthy who has great vision and attention to detail at this wonderful place. Always greeted with a friendly smile and their care of us was exceptional. My friend Di and I (Fi) stayed for 4 nights from January 17th and were upgraded to one of the poolside rooms mentioned in a previous review. What an absolute treat, lovely big and comfortable bed with gorgeous white linens, my absolute favourite after a long flight, mosaic tiled bath and wetroom shower. And through our stay we were both pretty sick with illness from England! All of the team, english speaking or not, were so attentive to us, drip fed us ginger tea all day and helped us to source chemists in town for supplies. The laundry service is excellent value and fast service, back to you within 24 hours. Suggestions were made for things to eat, that weren't necessarily on the menu, so always worth asking Sokunthy for a recommnedation, she made us fresh handmade vegetable spring rolls one day :) Breakfast was no problem before official start time when we did a day at the temples leaving at 5am. We were invited to comment about what we thought might improve the place, tables for the sun loungers was all ready in hand with Sokunthy and a couple of more sun loungers would be useful. There were a couple of small errors here and there but that is normal everywhere in Cambodia due mainly to language and the people are working hard on this so I would advise anyone to give this place a go as this place and people really started our holiday with their kindnesses.. Thank you to them all!

Room Tip: The poolside rooms are beautiful and you can breakfast right outside, after a dip in the pool. They...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Fiona S
Retreat Villa B, Owner at Retreat Villa Boutique & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2013

Hi there

First for most allow me on behalf of Retreat Villa staff member to extend my profound thank you for choosing Retreat Villa as place of your choice and we thrilled of hearing such courage comment and frank words that you shared on Trip advisor.

I passed on these words to Sokhunthy and Chivit , my team of their good work that contributed of making you most a beautiful stay in Siem Reap. This is what we called a real Khmer culture that believing in making people happy is our desire.

Again thank you for staying with and we are looking forward to welcoming you back home

Reviewed January 1, 2013

This little villa was a lovely and quiet resting spot while experiencing all SR has to offer. The staff were extremely friendly, and although there was a bit of a mistake with our booking (not unusual at many places during this time of year), Chivit and the team sorted things out and made us feel very welcome.
The villa itself is on the east side of the river, a couple of minutes by tuk-tuk or a 15 minute walk away from the 'tourist area'. This was not such a bad thing when you see the busyness of pub street and the like. The villa organised our visits to the temples (with one of their great tuk-tuk drivers), and also offer massage services to ease the pain after long walks around Angkor Wat. The restaurant offers tasty food pretty cheaply, and the breakfast is a great way to fuel you up for long days of sightseeing. The pool and courtyard area are great, however unfortunately the pool was being cleaned on our last day there. But it did look crystal clean before we left the morning after!
There were a few minor miscommunications (to be expected in this part of the world), but the staff were super friendly and will only improve as they gain more language confidence.
Overall a pleasant stay, and I'd definitely go back should we visit Siem Reap in the future!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank willshea

Hi there

Thank you for the stayed at Retreat Villa and nothing we could compare of how pleased we were to see such a great result of my team that contributed of ensuring our Resident left with great memory. I like to thank you

My team, especially Chivit so happy that we did played our part of making sure you did enjoy the stay in siem reap.

Again, Retreat Villa team and especially Chivit is looking forward to welcoming you back home in the near future

Reviewed December 14, 2012

Chivit and his team have made Retreat Villa Boutique & Spa a wonderful home away from home. We arrived to find our room beautifully arranged for us. Extra little touches included my name written in greenery and decorating the bed with orchids.

The girls were so lovely and Chivit ensured we had a wonderful time throughout our stay. The mango shakes after a long day at the temples was a brilliant touch. Nothing beat lying by the beautiful pool, surrounded by well maintained plants.

We kept extending our stay! Thank you for such a great time. We'll definitely recommend you to everyone!

Sarah

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank MsWestmoreland

Reviewed December 11, 2012

We arrived in Siem Reap 8 days ago and stayed at 4 other hotels (none of which seemed to be representative of their Tripadvisor reviews), and then found this beautiful, tranquil place. Contrary to the review that gave this little gem such appalling feedback, we would like to encourage anyone coming to Siem Reap to most definitely stay here. The managemnt is supremely helpful, and cannot do enough to make your stay comfortable, and are genuinly happy when they feel the guests are happy. We have a beautiful poolside room, which is so quiet we slept until 10am this morning (which is unheard of in Asia), and has every amenity you could wish for. The bed is ridiculously plush and comfortable and the bathroom is like something out of a magazine. The pool is great and the boutique feel is everything you could want. My partner had massage yesterday, and being a massage theraoist herself is often times hard to please on this score, and she said ot was wonderful. Having spoken to other guests they appear similarly impressed. Please, please, please disregard the previous negative review as it is completely unfair. Happy times, happy life!!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank victoria b

Hi there,

Thank you so much for such a frank words of sharing your total experience with us at Retreat Villa. It hard to believe such a well traveler of yours willing to share this emotional comment, it touch our heart especially me when seeing this above all. I thank you

Retreat Villa is designed to best quiet place to hideaway from busy street in Siem Reap after a long touring of Angkor Wat. The Retreat Spa offering a unique touch of Khmer thearapist to perform their best skill to ease your pains and allow your mind a state of relaxation.

My team and Chivit is looking forward to welcoming you back home

Thank you very much with my best regards,