“Tranquility”

Ranked #88 of 879 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Barbecue, Cambodian, Steakhouse
Good for: Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Located only 400m from Pubstreet and the Old Market in a garden of over 2600sqm, Tangram is one of the most spacious restaurants in town. Our focus is privacy and intimacy for couples, families, groups of friends and even tour groups. All can enjoy a private lunch or dinner experience at Tangram as our Garden features 11 pavilions, a bar and lounge area and a secluded playground for children. Designed in the traditional Khmer style. Mostly natural materials are used around the property, giving people a real al fresco feeling while being seated in a private pavilion underneath a beautiful thatched roof providing a cool and natural breeze druing the day and night. Our staff is young and friendly and have been recruited through training organizations that focus on the training of underprivileged youth. They have mastered the skills of hospitality well and love a conversation with their guests. Tangram is proud to be a member of the Siem Reap community and supports with 5% of its proceedings 60 orphaned and underprivileged children in their development. Lunch or dinner at Tangram is a casual experience that is complimented with personal care, a serene environment & genuine Khmer hospitality.
Surrey, Canada
“Tranquility”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

What a world away from Pub Street. This tranquil garden setting is the perfect place for a quiet relaxing dinner in your own private pavillion. If you call ahead for a reservation they will send a complimentary tuk tuk to pick you up.
The owner, Danny form Netherlands, stopped by for a pleasant conversation about his restaurant that opened in November 2011. The service and food is very good and the price at $6-$8 per entrée is great value.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
Zadar, Croatia
“Beautiful but not professional!!”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

I very rarely write bad reviews as I expect people to make there own mind up about restaurants.. this one is for the management!! My g-friend and myself were stunned to see such a beautiful little oasis in this city. Really well set out and let me say that the girls you have working for you are fantastic, they really looked after us until what could have been an easy situation dealt with by a manager or supervisor.
My g-friend ordered the pork ribs(really nice) and I ordered a steak, after tripadvisor reviews were so appealing towards it. When i tried the steak it was one of the worst ive ever had, I couldn't chew, it was so tough! (by the way I know im in Cambodia so didn't expect the best) Now I know these steaks are bought in from New Zealand so I never blame the chef. Wanted to order another one but app the steaks are the same so I ordered the pork ribs. When the dish came out I had half portion of my g-friends dish and nothing else on my plate (no mash potato, no salad, both which I sent back). I asked if I could have the rest of my meal im paying for and the waitress said the kitchen was now closed... it was 9.30pm!! They gave me what looked like there left over pork ribs for free but I was then charged for my steak, mash and salad for which i had two mouthfuls!
What looked like the manager walking around didn't come over, which was a shame as all I wanted was a meal to fill me up, unfortunately not 3 ribs of tasty pork which ended up costing me the price of my terrible steak. Was so looking forward to going here but was quite sad when we left.
We still left a tip for the waitress as she was lovely but the new Dutch chef maybe needs to check his ingredients every now and then to check there quality.. (Chef to chef)!!

• Visited January 2013
Tangram Garden R, Owner at Tangram Garden, responded to this review, January 26, 2013
Dear Chris and Girlfriend,

We are truly sorry for the steak. As owners we are always in the restaurant and always check with all of our guests if they are ok before we leave the restaurant. As we have two kids of 1 and 3 years old, we usually leave the restaurant at 9PM after having checked all guests if their meals are ok then instruct the staff and say farewell to our guests and ask if they need anything else. You may have walked in just after our leaving.

Our staff is professionally trained by NGO's focusing on hospitality and our consultant who works with them on improving skills monthly. This may not be dedicated to unprofessionalism but simply to one of Asia's more common happenings: not knowing what to do when there is an issue with guests. Our staff is cleary instructed to always please the guests and do what it takes to get their guests satisfied and in this case our cashier believed that changing the steak for ribs was suitable and not charging one of them. Unfortunately she charged the Steak instead of the Ribs but both are the same price so this must have been a matter of wording only unless you ordered the braised ribs which do not come with mashed potatoes and salad but with rice and vegetables (there may have been confusion here as well regarding your request for the additional side dishes).

Our kitchen closes at 10PM but i cannot really comment on the remark that at 9:30PM they told you it was closed as we were not present at 9:30PM. Neverheless, the steak issue has been checked with the supplier and chef and there are on very few occasions bad cuts we found out. Only two people have complained about it (and both wrote on Trip Advisor) as the other 100+ people believed that for USD 7,50 for an Imported steak with mashed potatoes and a green salad is a great deal and do not expect a prime cut for that price, as you are indicating which we appreciate. Looking at the feedback over the past year, it was an incident regarding the steak but put us back on guard for meat quality.

Our cooks are now told to return the steak to the supplier if they run into a bad cut instead of trying to make it work. The supplier also acknowledged and agreed on this. The rib portion seems to be correct at 3 pieces each plate as they are generous portions at 400 gram per plate.

We hope our reply satisfies you in a way and we thank you for your comments although the "poor" rating in the end may be a bit too low as it seems that there were also some very positive aspects to your visit and that the issues in the end came down to communication mainly, which is an issue we will all keep trunning into as long as we travel the globe.

We hope next time to serve you better. From the Tangram Team.
“Our best meal in Siem Reap”
Reviewed January 17, 2013

Our meal at Tangram Garden was the best we had during our 6 day stay in Siem Reap. We had the pork Khmer curry and vegetable skewers with grilled corn for mains and the sticky rice with mango for dessert- all were delicious! Our bill, including a couple of beers was $20- great value. The setting is really nice and is made up of individual dining pavilions. It is a little distance from the night market/pub street area but well worth the short drive. Delicious food, unique setting and lovely staff...Unfortunately we only found this place on our last night in Siem Reap otherwise we would certainly be back.

Essex
“great food, staff and set up”
Reviewed January 12, 2013

The title says it all. Really nicely set up place, feels like you are really treating yourself. Had khmer food, which was great. The waiter also spent some time with us once we'd eaten giving us a khmer lesson.

• Visited January 2013
Tangram Garden R, Owner at Tangram Garden, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear Sir and Madam,

thank you so much for your comments and taking the time to talk to Sarath, your waiter. He really enjoys to talk to his guests and teach them Khmer. We are always so garteful that our guests take time to get to know our staff. Again, thank you so much for a great evening!

From the Tangram team!
Melbourne, Australia
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great ambience!”
Reviewed January 9, 2013

We came to this restaurant on Lux's recommendation (tour agent of Angkor Touchstone) and got quite lost since it is well hidden away from the bustle of Pub Street and Old Market Area. However we were pleasantly treated with a garden restaurant where we could dine under our own private hut that has a fan, and lights installed. The staff were extremely courteous and friendly, and the owner himself came out to check that our meals were going well twice. Going there for a family meal or a romantic dinner for two is greatly recommended!

Dear Ladies!

Thanks much for your review and your talks the night of your visit.

Actually it is not that well hidden... just one side street away from Wat Damnak, which is part of downtown Siem reap. Unfortunately our beer supplier (who is also in chrage of our light box)has been drunk the past 4 months and has not been able to actually connect our lightbox so we are easier to find... In any case, it should be fixed tomorrow and we should be well visible from the road behind teh Pagoda and make people more secure on where they are going!

At Tangram we are all about privacy and personal care. That is why we designed individual pavillions for every couple, family or group of friends to enjoy a private dinner in peace in the middle of a garden. My wife or I like to talk to our guests and learn what they like (or not) and share the feedback with our staff to imporve our service or make them feel proud of. what they do!

It is always a pleasure to host people like yourself!

Thanks and all the best from the Tangram Team!