“Fantastic way to see Angkor temples away from the crowds”

Countryside Mountain Bike Adventure Day Trips
More attraction details
Owner description: Experience the real Cambodian countryside with all profits from your adventure going to a local vocational training and education centre. We will take you on an adventure through tourist free countryside – you’ll see a variety of traditional local activities by exploring a number of hidden temples where you won't need to pay and you won’t see other tourists! All this on Mountain Bikes across a range of different terrains.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Fantastic way to see Angkor temples away from the crowds”
Reviewed February 26, 2013

This is a small NGO run project that provides all day cycle rides around the lesser known temples and the back ways of the whole Aspara. The Giant mountain bikes are well maintained and easy to adjust to fit. the route is well thought out, with frequent stops and refreshment breaks.

Our 2 guides (I training) were extremely helpful and knowledgeable

We are 3 woman of a certain age ( over 50) - and we managed the 40 km ride. So can
Donations go back into KKO to fund the work experience projects to support more young people.

5 Thank Julianary

San Francisco, California
9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Why Explore the temples any other way”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

This was one of my favorite activities in Cambodia. Escape the huge crowds, take in some amazing temples that few tourist see, and get some exercise all at the same time. Although I am a pretty serious mountain biker, I figured 40km in the Cambodian heat would be pretty tough to take. Shockingly enough, since you spend most of the riding time in the beautiful forests, it was one of my coolest days in Siem Reap as well.

Fitness and Technical requirements: Participants should be in moderate physical condition. If you exercise once a week you will be totally fine. The ride is not technical, but this shouldn't be the first time you have ridden a bike.

Guide and information: We had a wonderful guide for our tour that shared a ton of great information that I hadn't known going in. I didn't have any other guided tours while in the Temples so I can't compare, but I felt the information was helpful and interesting.

Bikes: The bikes the tour offered were shockingly wonderful. We all had 21 speed mountain bikes in proper working order. No mechanical issues in our group all day.

Length of trip- This is a full day tour that takes in multiple sites. There is a stop for lunch to escape the mid day heat. Again the cost of lunch is not included in the tour.

Overall: This was a phenomenal experience and a great addition to my time in Angkor Wat. It was so refreshing to see so many private temples away from the Tuk Tuk drivers and hoards of group tours. You do not see the Angkor Wat or Ta Prohm temple, so if these are musts on your list, keep that in mind. But if you have a few days to spend, this should fill one of them.

Tip: You do enter the Angkor Wat temple area so you will need to purchase an entrance pass. This was not included in the price of the tour and caught a few of the participants off guard. If you will be visiting for multiple days, you can pick up the 3 day or 7 day pass.

3 Thank Anthony Q
Canada
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Had a really great bike trip trip - highly recommend it”
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We did the "Angkor Off-Road Tour ", 40 easy km. We had pre-booked this tour while still at home. Every email was answered very expediently, giving me all of the additional information that I wanted to have. I was very impressed with this.
I am not in good shape, having broken my leg last year and still experiencing difficulties, however, I had no problems. It was really the best day that I spent in Siem Reap. Since we went a lot through the jungle, it was not too hot. Frequent breaks to look at temples and scenery. The guide, Meth Thong, was great . He was full of information and very congenial. Excellent English .
Parts of the trip are difficult, not physically, but emotionally. We biked through some villages in the Angkor Thom area. The poverty was appalling . Should you decide to do this trip - and I highly recommend it - please consider taking along some school supplies for the village school that you will be passing. They have absolutely nothing! I went straight to the stationary store and bought supplies which will be taken out to this school this week.
You have not seen Cambodia if you have only seen the temples and downtown Siem Reap. We are so glad that we did this trip!
By choosing this trip, we have helped a bit which I am very happy about .

1 Thank Arabianwings
Brooklyn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Eye opener!”
Reviewed February 14, 2013

(1) You're contributing to a bigger and better cause. (2) You get an one of a kind off-track tour of the Angkor Wat area.

My husband has not traveled the way I have (newly weds). His travels mostly consisted of 4 to 5 star hotels and easy tour guides, which has it's time and place. However, we're young (relatively), have legs and this tour is for a good cause beyond what most of us can imagine. It was not a hard decision for me to make and thank goodness my husband was easily convinced. The tour was a true eye opener for him. He still states this ride is one of his best travel experiences. It got him out of his comfort zone and exposed him to more than I could hope for...and it was FUN!

We took the "The Angkor off road tour." Amazing and intense all at the same time! The tour was a perfect balance of "must-see" and truly secluded sites of the area. Only a local (our guide) and a mountain bike could take you to these places. KKO had both, so we got to see it all. We do warn you that it's a 40km (24mi) ride on some bumpy terrains. We rode through pockets of rice patties and villages. We were introduced to how the villagers lived and survived. They explained to us how the government has tried to displace them several times because they would like to turn their homes into "tourist" areas. Naturally, I felt guilty since our visit there is just adding to the government's stance. However, by choosing KKO, I knew that our contribution would go to these villagers in hopes to sustain their homes.

A few things to note. The last leg of this tour is a 30 minute ride back to the city. It's exhausting, so be mentally (and I guess physically) prepared. If you are short, which I am, email them and let them know the bike you need. Luckily they had a bike for my size. The recommended contribution might seem high, BUT remember this is going to a good cause. Trust me, you get a WHOLE lot more than you can imagine.

Visited November 2012
2 Thank nomadbyheart
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Excellent Day away from the WATs”
Reviewed February 9, 2013

This Countryside Tour was one of our favourite days in Siem Reap, cycling through the paddy fields enjoying the sunshine, getting some exercise and taking some brilliant photos of the real Cambodia. The guide had great English, very friendly, open and chatty and gave us some great insights to the way of life. He had researched each and every landmark that we stopped at and we were happy to part with much more than the recommended rate as we could see that these guys at KKP were supporting a terrific cause. Just do it!

Visited January 2013