The facilities here are superb, and completely live up to their four star billing. The staff is very friendly and eager to be of service. Unfortunately, the training of the staff left so much to be desired that they were quite unable to use their own systems effectively.
My problems encompassed three areas:
1. The coffee was completely undrinkable. I know that coffee is a very individual preference, but I asked for (and got) coffees prepared by a variety of means - and they were all totally undrinkable - sweet, with an additive (fig?) and made with water that was insufficiently hot.
2. There was something wrong with every meal they provided me. Usually this was something very trivial - provision of ketchup for my toast rather than jam, but something was always wrong. In addition their meals were described only by a one line name - no indication of what the meal contained.
3. When I came to book out, they could not validate my credit card. This was probably due to a communication failure on their terminal. This is not a foregone conclusion however - the receptionist could not enter the amount of my bill because it contained a partial dollar amount - 50cents. After she tried to enter this amount for the sixth or seventh time, I took the terminal off her and had to show her how to enter figures on a terminal. Then it was not accepted (communication failure) - which was not their fault. I left my credit card details. Subsequently I received an email from them saying there was not enough balance on my card to meet the bill and asking for other credit card details. There was enough balance, and I can only think they tried to take the value in sterling (which the card was denominated in) rather than USD. Not being willing to commit further credit card details to an email I arranged a money transfer to pay the bill. This cost me, in charges, about 25% of the bill.
This resort hotel could be great - it has the staff and facilities - but until the staff is trained and their systems are properly in place, you risk major problems if you stay here.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hibiscus Angkor Resort is the nestled place in the heart of Cambodia's historic city of Siem Reap where a tradition deeply rooted in the heart of all the people of Cambodia to make you feel at home. A resort-style hotel is 15 minutes drive from Siem Reap International Airport, 20 minutes distance from the World famous Angkor Wat Temple and just a few minutes from other sights of interest and the center of town. Our food & Beverage outlets provide an exquisite gourmet Khmer, Chinese, European, Thai and Malaysian Cuisines. All foods and Beverages served by the hotel are HALAL. Our a la carte menu futures a good selection of local as well as international favorite to satisfy just about any proportion; Location : Lobby (Above Front desk) Size : 216 m2 Capacity : 150pax Open Hour : 6.00Am -22.00Pm ... more less