“My Hibiscus Hotel, Siem Reap - Very poor systems” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hibiscus Angkor Resort

Hibiscus Angkor Resort
Ranked #156 of 250 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
“My Hibiscus Hotel, Siem Reap - Very poor systems”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2012

The facilities here are superb, and completely live up to their four star billing. The staff is very friendly and eager to be of service. Unfortunately, the training of the staff left so much to be desired that they were quite unable to use their own systems effectively.

My problems encompassed three areas:
1. The coffee was completely undrinkable. I know that coffee is a very individual preference, but I asked for (and got) coffees prepared by a variety of means - and they were all totally undrinkable - sweet, with an additive (fig?) and made with water that was insufficiently hot.
2. There was something wrong with every meal they provided me. Usually this was something very trivial - provision of ketchup for my toast rather than jam, but something was always wrong. In addition their meals were described only by a one line name - no indication of what the meal contained.
3. When I came to book out, they could not validate my credit card. This was probably due to a communication failure on their terminal. This is not a foregone conclusion however - the receptionist could not enter the amount of my bill because it contained a partial dollar amount - 50cents. After she tried to enter this amount for the sixth or seventh time, I took the terminal off her and had to show her how to enter figures on a terminal. Then it was not accepted (communication failure) - which was not their fault. I left my credit card details. Subsequently I received an email from them saying there was not enough balance on my card to meet the bill and asking for other credit card details. There was enough balance, and I can only think they tried to take the value in sterling (which the card was denominated in) rather than USD. Not being willing to commit further credit card details to an email I arranged a money transfer to pay the bill. This cost me, in charges, about 25% of the bill.

This resort hotel could be great - it has the staff and facilities - but until the staff is trained and their systems are properly in place, you risk major problems if you stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ChrisBoater

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
  • Indonesian first
Hyderabad, India
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2012

Hotel was gud, Staffs were friendly and they help well. They have gud english speaking Tuk Tuk drivers. Swimming pool is gud and gardern is gud. Wifi is ok in room. Only AC was little low.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
7 Thank selva_uth
samoun_Lam, Manager at Hibiscus Angkor Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
Dear Valuable Guest,

Warmest Greetings From Myhibiscus Hotels & Resort. First of all Thank you for staying with us. We are grateful to you for recommending us to the whole world. our Hotel now is on upgrading process to make sure more satisfying guest experience, Please visit us should you come to Siem Reap Cambodia again and get the best service from us. Thank you.

Respectfully Yours,
Lam SamOun
Sale & Marketing Manager
E: sm@myhibiscushotels.com.my
T: +85586700088
T: +85563964778/788
China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

I am feel very comfortable to stay at Myhibiscus Angkor Monarch Hotel & Rosort. I was staying here with my family trip, it's very nice with the pool eventhough, day or night. The pool looks very nicely to swimming with the green garden around. Otherwise, there are beautifull of rooms be able to see the pool and nice garden at the middle of the bulding.
I would say my family and I wanna to visit Angkor Wat and stay at Myhibiscus Hotel later.

Room Tip: . "Rooms able to see pool view and green garden
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Nasu s
Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2012

I’m traveling with my officemates, the room was fine and comfortable except for the toilet, clogged drainage happened to my room and my friend’s room. It makes the toilet smelly when the water from drainage comes out to the floor surface.

Friendly staffs, but a little hard to communicate with them because of the languages used.

The time we stayed there, the weather is about 37’c and swimming pool somewhat helps to get hydrated. The hotel surrounding was serene with tokek’s sounds and bird’s chirping sometimes, and has a beautiful landscape.

If you want halal food, this is the hotel, the food they served also delicious.

I forgot my camera’s battery charger in the hotel room and only realize it when we arrived in Phnom Penh. Thanks to the hotel management and staffs and to our tour guide (Cambodia Tours & Travel) to get it back for me before my flight back to Malaysia. They are kind and honest people and I’m so thankful.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

T: +85586700088
T: +85563964778/788
Beijing, China
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

This was probably the nicest place that my wife and I stayed. It is a 4 star resort and completely lives up to that. We only paid $35 for our room on Agoda so this is also probably the best deal we have ever gotten. If you are visiting Angkor Wat, this is definitely the place to stay ... Absolutely perfect!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ly Pao Hua L
Kuala Lumpur
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2012

We did not place any expectation before we set foot at the hotel, but it would have met or maybe exceed any traveller's decent expectation. The hotel has apparently re-opened their doors this year, with a new management and workforce. For their promo rate of USD28 per noght, we were greeted with welcome drink and swift check-in. Our room was decent-sized with very comfortable bed, clean bathroom and linen and nice pool view. The hotel has its own 'halal' restaurant, which will make it very suitable for Muslim travellers, and the food was edible. The staff were very friendly and tried to extend their help as much as they could. The plus point of this hotel is their swimming pool - huge and so inviting after a hot day exploring the ruins of Angkor Wat. Locationwise, the Angkor Wat was only about 15mins away by car. To the town center, a tuktuk would cost abt USD2-3 dollar per way, and it's a 10 min ride. Walking about on foot is not highly recommended due to the heat and dusty air (which is normal everywhere Cambodia), but a lot of ppl do get around by renting bicycles and putting on face masks while cycling. In a nutshell, a pleasant stay and best value for money. Highly recommended if you wish to visit the Angkor Wat for a few days (there's a 1-day, 3-day and 7-day passes). The hotel can als arrange for a day excursion to the Tonle Sap lake to visit the village of the boat people. Special tip: Never, EVER fall for your guide's 'offer' to take you for a massage. We were charged USD25/pax for what was supposed to be not more than USD5. Go to the parlours near the pub street yourself for cheap massages. It's the SAME. Always compare and bargain everywhere before you shop.

Room Tip: Ask for pool view.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank AwesomeBlossome
Tiruchirappalli, India
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 12, 2011

I stayed in this hotel with my friend for 3 days and i should mention that the rooms were well maintained , the breakfast was great , excellent service and a very courteous team of staffs , especially the manager mr. vishal went out of the way to provide us with useful information and guidance. Overall this hotel has a homely and beautiful ambiance . I wish to stay here in future too ...

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends