“Frown of Angkor - Light pocket, Empty belly, Unhappy Customer”
Review of Smile of Angkor

Smile of Angkor
Book In Advance
More Info
$48.00*
and up
Smile of Angkor Show with Roundtrip Transfer
More attraction details
Owner description: "Smile of Angkor" is the first grand Epic daily show that revives the Angkor dynasty in all aspects. It's the most worth view show in Cambodia. From foundation to prosperity, tale to folk customs, past to present, Smile of Angkor expresses the original culture with the highest technology It's a splendid performance directed by the experts of the Cambodia Culture and Fine Arts Ministry and the director team of the Closing Ceremony of 2008 Olympic Games. It's a legendary show that revives all the myths from the reliefs of Angkor Temples with our grand stage and the brightest stars. There is a buffet at the venue to allow you to dinner before the show. A small and cosy restaurant is dedicated to the individual visitors (non-group) but be aware that it s a huge buffet for Asian group so don't expect for food and Western standard level. But you will be able to see all the nationalities of Asia and to taste differents foods : Khmers, Vietnamese, Korean... Be aware that during the high season there should have so queue for the bbq which know a big success. During the show you can not take photos or videos. We wish to welcome you
Houston
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Frown of Angkor - Light pocket, Empty belly, Unhappy Customer”
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

Tried to overcharge us for 4 Adult tickets, even though they clearly saw us standing there with 2 small children. When my wife discovered the discount for children, they were initially reluctant to refund our money and she had to argue with them. Finally, they relented but not before measuring both kids, who were both below the 140cm line. My 5 year old was below the bottom 100cm line! They finally refunded the 50% difference for the kids tickets. They claimed this was happened because the 4 girls at the front were very busy but only 1 processed our purchase while the other 3 sat and talked. No other people were at the counter. Buffet is just OK; typical mass food quality, but for $48, drinks are not included. You must pay extra for a beverage. Auditorium seating is in uncomfortable wicker chairs. The show seems like it was designed by a committee and tries to cover the rich, cultured story of Angkor, the Khmer and Buddhist and Hindu influences in just 1 hour. It's short but felt longer. Sadly, I found I was checking my watch at 45 minutes. Finally, the price for our family photo doubled from $1 to $2 as we were leaving. The girl assured me it was still a good deal, even tough the price had somehow doubled while watching the show. This show seems designed to fleece tour groups & unsuspecting tourists. AVOID this trap!

Visited October 2013
1 Thank ZoobsReviews
Fabrice L, Responsable relations publiques at Smile of Angkor, responded to this review, November 21, 2014
Dear ZoobsReviews,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review our show.

Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us and we always want guest expectations to be met upon arrival.

We hope to see you again in the future.

Best regards

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Bintulu, Malaysia
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Hyped up”
Reviewed October 22, 2013

The good: Reasonable costumes and sets. That's it.

The bad: Different parts of the show hardly sync with each other. There is no flow. Difficult for visitors to follow. Pricey for the quality of the show.

Tip: Even if this is your 100th night in the city, let it pass and go to pub street for the evening.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Czar01

Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us,

We rode your advices with attention.

Airdrie, Canada
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 33 helpful votes
“Good dance but tacky tacky”
Reviewed September 27, 2013 via mobile

The Dancers are good, that's the good news. It's downhill from there....
The buffet is awful, cold and boring tasteless although my partner did enjoy her soup.
The production is campy, no tacky and poorly organized. The management of the whole setup is amateur.
The predominantly Chinese crowd seemed to love it, so maybe I missed something (although from trips to PRC it may speak to what they are used to back home).
Poor value considering the $48 ticket price.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank RNPapp

Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us,

We rode your advices with attention.

Rockdale, Australia
266 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 393 helpful votes
“camera's & laptops ruined the show with rude guests”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Arrived on Friday 09/08/13 to watch the show [SMILE OF ANGKOR], I arranged the evening through TWO SEASON TRAVEL & TOUR from the Siem Reap office, the booked show included transfer from my accommodation with a buffet meal included, the driver arrived 30 min's late for my pick-up & when I arrived at the venue I had to rush my meal, the food in the restaurant wasn't good quality & most of the hot food was warm & looked like it had been sitting around for ages. Back to the show before entering & sitting down there are a few signs asking guests not to film & take photos of the performance, however after making sure all my electronic gadgets were switched off & ready to relax to enjoy the show I noticed within a few minutes after the show started some guests were busy clicking away using their personal mobile phones, laptops to either film or take pics, I found this very annoying with some people lifting their arms to get a good pic & some folks standing up [ so much for coypyrights & not obeying the rules], after asking some guests to sit back down & stop lifting up their arms in blocking my view I decided after 30 min's I'd had enough & walked out and expressed my total frustration to some staff, very disappointing & a total waste of time and I never went back again. On expressing my personal opinion to management at the venue the gentleman I had spoken to arranged for my transfer back to my hotel. A total waste of money and my time, totally spoilt evening just because of a few idiots who showed no respect to the dancers & other guests.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank Stephen N

Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us,

We read your advices with attention.

London UK
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Something to do in the evening but not worth the cost !”
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I was excited to go and see the "Smile on Angkor' theatre production with laser lights, the show in itself is not too bad, actors and actresses are good, but you think somewhere they have lost the plot, the act scenes are too long, and somewhat boring for western visitors, i saw many people asleep, secondly, the audience is pre-dominantly Chinese, which I have found are generally rude and inconsiderate people, every since the masses in China started travelling you see them more and more they are in large groups and noisy and rude, sorry Chinese visitors, its true, they have no social graces, and when told not to use their cameras, they simply take no notice and do the opposite.

The Buffet dining experience in my mind was poor, most of the hot dishes were cold, and I did not enjoy it, it was mediocre, it cost us USD 48.00 per head so for four of us it was just under USD 200.00 a waste of money hmmm finely balanced I would have to say yes, but we had nothing esle to do that night, it was recommended by our tourist van driver, interesting, everywhere we went with him, he got free food, that should tell you something, my advice is, if you don't have anything to do in the evenings after your temple visits, it is mildly entertaining, but if you have somewhere else to go, give it a miss.

Visited August 2013
2 Thank ginapeterb

Your input, and the feedback from all of our guests is vitally important to us,

We read your advices with attention.

We have addressed your comments to the staff.

Best regards,