“Great food, great value in Siem Reap”
Review of Khmer Green House

Khmer Green House
Ranked #237 of 877 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: European, Asian, Cambodian
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Cash Only, Free Off-Street Parking, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: Bringing Cambodia Cuisine back to life! When you dine at Green House Restaurant, not only do you get to savor delicious Cambodian cuisine, you also consume an important story. During the 1970's under the Khmer Rouge, many of Cambodia's traditional recipes that had been passed on for centuries were forgotten and vanished from the kitchen. Green House was born in 1993 in Siem Reap out of the desire and passion to restore Cambodian cuisine to its former glory and put Cambodia back on the map as a culinary destination. Renowned for its fresh seasonal produce, delicate flavours and generous hospitality Master Chef Mrs.Chan Theoun and her team, decided to revive Cambodian cuisine from the past, adapt it to the present and preserve it for the future.
Edmonton, Canada
“Great food, great value in Siem Reap”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We had a great dinner here, though the location just off the main drag could be a little noisy (take a table inside). Still, with main courses at $5 USD, it was outstanding. My chicken and red curry was the best I ate while away. We also loved the fresh spring rolls here, which have that tiny extra bit of bite that the Thai influence provides. The wine list had reasonably good wines and the usual beers, so there's something for everyone. The service was very attentive and prompt.

Visited January 2013
Sokun S, General Manager at Khmer Green House, responded to this review, August 23, 2016
We are express and appreciation of your dinner with us and it was a lovely time to host you, You are very good, kindly and friendly man. I wish you have a nice trip back, success with your business and personal endeavors.
We look forward to hosting you again in the near future. If other people are looking for a great lunch or dinner with a great service in Siem Reap and quiet friendly location. Please you inform them, Green House Restaurant is their perfect choice that they should not miss.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“4 course Khmer meal (beef or fish) for $7 USD what a deal. Good tasting original food. A la carte available.”
Reviewed November 14, 2012 via mobile

Stumbled across this hidden gem within the downtown district. 4 course Khmer meal x2 plus alcoholic beverages for $20.

Toulouse, Midi-Pyrenees, France
“Pleasant at first sight but thief at the end”
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Well, as many travellers, I ended up at Green House as they seem to know many tuk tuk drivers.
Everything was perfect until I left my luggage at the reception (as went to Angkor Wat early and was supposed to check out the same day).
When I came back, I opened my bag and my laptop wasn't in there anymore. The owner and I searched very carefully the room and my two bags: nothing.
The owner talked to the security guard and the tuk tuk driver as if something was going to change.
Well, I asked at least to have a discount: as there was no proof, they didn't want. It made me sick! They knew I had a laptop!

Visited October 2012
Sokun S, Owner at Khmer Green House, responded to this review, March 22, 2017
it was wrong commend . our place served only food and there is no room to rent don't be confused.
“Pricey-ish but ok value”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I like the green mango salad here. Bar fish is also decent. I don't come often because truth be told it's pricey 4 what u get. Staff is great. I haves been here 5 or so times w my husband and have only ever seen one other couple dining once but maybe I'm odd hrs. Ok for variety, I would avoid it if u only have a short time here.

“A Pleasant Find”
Reviewed January 21, 2012

We were walking along the street near out hotel looking for a place to have dinner when I noticed a wood stand on the sidewalk in front of a restaurant. Since night had already fallen, the stand was lit up and I could see there was a menu laying on top of it. As I read it, an employee approached and asked if I had any questions. The front of the restaurant was semi-open air and I could see that there were a number of patrons already dining. The offerings on the menu looked good with a mix of salads, Thai and Khmer food, as well as some "International" dishes.

As soon as we were seated, a waiter greeted us, gave us menus, and took our drink orders. My wife was able to enjoy her glass of red wine while I had a very large bottle of icy cold Angkor beer. Shortly after receiving our drinks, another waiter appeared and took our order. I like fish and decided to try the Steamed River Bar Fish in Soya Sauce. My wife selected the veggie stir fry from the vegetarian part of the menu and asked if the kitchen could add some grilled chicken to the dish. My waiter said they would be happy to do that.

The service was excellent. In fact, it was better than what I am used to receiving back home! The wait staff continuously checked with us to make sure we were satisfied with our meal and that we had everything we needed. Our drink glasses were constantly refilled. They weren't showering us with all of this attention because they were bored...the place really started to fill up with locals and visitors alike as we dined, keeping the wait staff fully occupied.

The food was very good. My bar fish was a nice piece, well cooked, moist, tender, and served with an attractive assortment of green garnishes. My wife was pleased with her veggie/chicken stir-fry. Prices were typical for the area with most entree's in the $4-6 range.

The dining area was airy and clean with nice views back out towards the street. The landscaping near the entrance gave the place a nice outdoor type feeling. I just wish we had spent more time in Siem Reap so we could have returned for another meal.

• Visited January 2012