“Great Value and Close to Pub Street”

Angkor Wonder Hotel
Ranked #57 of 262 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Toronto, Canada
“Great Value and Close to Pub Street”
Reviewed December 5, 2013 via mobile

I booked a room for two nights very last minute, and Mr. Why Not had no problem arranging a free pick-up from the bus stop upon my arrival. He was very welcoming,offered me coffee while I checked in, and indicated key tourist spots on a map. The mixed dorm had spacious beds, but the bathroom wasn't very clean. The toilet was in a bad state (luckily it was cleaned up later), there was no toilet paper or garbage bin. I could manage my expectations since I had gotten the room for so cheap.

On the plus side, each bed had a personal fan across it, and towels are provided (although they looked very old - I didn't use them). There's a balcony, adequate wifi, and breakfast (an extra $2-3). The hostel is a couple minutes away from Pub St and the markets, and there's also a great place nearby to exchange currency (called Apsara - 3 min walk). There are also pharmacies and convenience stores across the streets. Definitely a great location if you're looking for a hostel in Siem Reap. They will also book buses for you, and we had a minivan pick us up from right in front of the hostel to take us to the bus station.

For $4 a night, probably the best value I've had!

Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, Canada
Reviewed December 2, 2013

Mr Why Not is an absolute legend, so warm and welcoming. His daughter Lia is probably the cutest girl alive also. We loved staying with them, they do amazing beans and eggs on toast as well. Mr Why not is so knowledgable and honest and the rooms are large, AC worked great and had cable TV and a fridge, a bit of noise from 7 with construction but good luck finding anywhere without that around it in Cambodia. Thank you Mr Why not! x

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Kirkkonummi, Southern Finland, Finland
Reviewed November 22, 2013

I found Angkor Wonder kinda by accident and I'm really glad I did. Located only 5min walk from the Pub Street this was probably one of the best places I've stayed so far. Cheap rooms, great facilities and just the owner, Mr. Why Not is a good reason to stay here. If you need something, he'll probably make it happen ! For example, we had an awesome day out with his (the owner) friends fishing in a nearby lake. Mostly because of Angkor Wonder, Siem Reap was one of my favorite places in my travels.

I totally recommend this place and wish I'll be back there some day. Thank you for everything Angkor Wonder Hotel !

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed November 15, 2013

Excellent guest house! The minute we walked in there we felt as a part of the family. We were greated by the owner, "Mr. Why Not" and his 2 yr old daughter Lisa. Mr. Why Not is a very friendly and easy going Cambodian. He knows everything about tourism in Siem Reap (the name you have to ask him about your self). Lisa is the coolest girl, who will great you with a big smile and a "Halloa". The rooms are nice and clean and the toilets and showers are good, though we had no lock in our toilet door (it was a private room, but is would have been nice to be able to lock it).
If you are going to Angkor Wat and are willing to share a Tuk-Tuk Mr. Why Not will most likely hook you up with some other guests. This is a very nice way of getting to know some other fellow travelers (and share the bill for the driver).

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed November 15, 2013

I stayed there 2 nights and the real plus of the hotel is the staff, really helpful.
The rooms are basic but clean. I rarely use aircon but this time I found the room very hot at night.
For 8$ rooms have cold shower.
The breakfast is also good and not expensive.
Of course they can arrange all kind of tours and bus tickets, and have a laundry service.
I would recomment this place in Siem Reap.

Room Tip: The fan rooms can be very hot
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed November 7, 2013

This hotel is a must do… the owner is VERY friendly and laid back. He answered all my questions and set me up with tours and anything I needed. They have a simple and cheap breakfast menu. He even upgraded me to a private room for free. Wonderful place! He also hooked me up with other travellers to see the sights together. So helpful!

UK- South East
Reviewed November 4, 2013 via mobile

We had an extremely friendly welcome from an English lady who went through the hotel, and what we can do in and around Siem Reap. Yes there is a bit of stating we can arrange this for you but it's not a hard sell as others have said! All at very competitive prices and arranged whenever you want. Mr Why Not and his wife were both extremely friendly as were their children.

Now onto the rooms, we may have been unlucky with the room, and we didn't pay loads so wasn't expecting much. This was however the most basic room in SE Asia so far on our travels. The room was big, the bathroom tiny, the door didn't close, we had to hold the shower head to wash, nowhere to hang your towel. The room had black marks up one wall where something obviously used to hang, and the bed sheet was a thick blanket, not the best in the heat. Additionally one light in the room which was extremely dim. The room was baking however Mr Why Not quite gladly let us borrow another one to help. Wifi was available but in and out a lot of the time.
All in all if it was not for the people who run it and staff in general I would probably give it 2 out of 5. It's cheap, very basic, but good enough.

Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends