“They really know how to go the extra mile”

Angkor Wonder Hotel
Ranked #57 of 262 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
London, United Kingdom
“They really know how to go the extra mile”
Reviewed November 1, 2012

The second we arrived at the hotel Mr Why Not was there will a couple of ice cold bottles of water and a map of the town, ready to help us plan our stay. He even got up at 5am to set us up with bikes so we could go watch sun rise over the temples. Couldn't recommend this hotel enough.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eliazbeth

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Österreich
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Its definitly a perfect spot in seam reap. "Mr. Whynot" the owner and his family is soooo friendly - wooow. You feel like you belong to them! The hammocks outside are perfect for a chilloutbeer in the evening. The rooms are OK. Nothing special but clean. But considered to the price you cant find a better place to be. The atmosphere there is so cool. Oh - and Tep is an wonderful tuktuk driver. We went with him 1 day to angkor wat and one day to a not so touristical floating village.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Eulinho
Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed October 13, 2012

i started for about 2 weeks and it was a great place, in a pretty good area as well,
staff were always helpful, and easy going always asked if i wanted my room clean which other places didnt do
tuk tuks are a pain in the assss but not at this hotel, they asked i said no and that was that, 1 tuk tuk didn't want any money but we paid him anyways

all around nice family run business, oh i stayed at other places and the water there was dirty dam water they pay money for there government water anyways see you guys again in remembered
maybe we can have a beer or 2 why not ?

Room Tip: make sure its a dark room thats just me
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank mick s
Osaka, Japan
Reviewed September 14, 2012

I did a three month trip all around Cambodia and I felt most at home here. Firstly, I walked in off the street and straight away he was friendly and the lady working there asked my name. I got a fan for six dollars, tv, quiet, comfy bed. The family are friendly. Then I went and traveled and came back and he was happy to see me and gave me a twin for no extra cost.

One day I left my moneybelt in the garden, and he bought it straight up to me when he found it (still full of cash)!.

When I checked out, the owner arranged my ticket to Poipet, and promised me that a big bus would come to the hotel and take me all the way there, which I didn't believe. But actually, that's exactly what happened, the full 40+ seat bus came right to the hotel as promised.

So basically, this place is friendly, comfortable, honest, it was definitely the nicest place I stayed at in three months and I have no hesitation in recommending it.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank lifemagic
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 29, 2012

I was recommended by my friend, I thought, it was one of the best hostel, but when I came, there were something changed. I confirmed them about my arrival details, But i did not see anybody at my arrival point, this made me so disappointed with what to be served.

Staff and Tuk Tuk driver do not understand about what i was trying to ask for, I had to every time repeat the question. and it was a problem of the tour and communication, I would recommend to get tour guide "But do not ask them to arrange at their hostel, as commission will be taken by the hostel, English tour guide costs at $20/day only not $25/day "

Do not buy tour to floating village, I were cheated, it costs $12-$13 for a whole boat with 2 hours touring around, but one of tuk tuk driver toke me there and I had to buy $20/pax. and they were insisting me to pay tax ($5/pax) as well, I had no idea with their business. The way they treated not as valued guest. I have been pressured and managed at all times when staying there.

The garden was always dirty, nobody cleaned those up and smells from the front door was very bad of dustbin. it was very ugly.

The Internet was of course so slow, rooms were ok not too bad, a bit small, but you can sleep.breakfast was really good. I do like their omelet, that was great.

Overalls, be aware of staying this hostel, next door you can find several of hostels offering cheaper,but of course very fantastic room.

I hope you guy will improve this management, Please try not to manage your valued customers all you want.

Room Tip: Back off room was very quiet.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Xing Z
Bangkok
Reviewed August 28, 2012

The non-AC room I stayed at was clean, with a TV & fan, and came with breakfast -- in all, a good value for money. The owner, Reod (Mr.Whynot), is kind, friendly & helpful w/ travel advice. (He called my hotel in Phnom Pehn to confirm my booking for me for free.) And like previous reviewers have mentioned, this hotel has a great family atmosphere. I'd stay there again if I revisit Angkor.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank tiredofbangkok
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 26, 2012

This place is wonderful. To start with, Mr. Why Not and his family, as well as all of the staff working there, really make everyone feel welcome, with the kids being especially friendly and hilarious in equal measure. Any and all trips to Angkor can be sorted out very reasonably and conveniently with the staff (I recommend our driver Sambat - legend!), and that goes for the lake at Tonle Sap too. The rooms are clean and the location is convenient for Pub Street. Great value; I'll be back soon!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo