“Amazing cultural trip”

Ranked #44 of 278 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Sydney, Australia
“Amazing cultural trip”
Reviewed January 1, 2014 via mobile

We spend a week in the resort 2 nights in a villa and the rest in the triple bed in the inn. The villa is great but you share one room as a family whilst the triple bed you at least get two rooms as part of the one booking.
Service was always friendly but understanding not always that great.
Hotel food also excellent but more expensive than what you will pay if you make the trip into town to Pub street, once you've done that you will go back every night as the markets and restaurants is just great at night.
Will I go back to the resort?... An absolute yes!

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Tokyo, Japan
Reviewed December 31, 2013

It was my first visit to Cambodia and I was nervous upon my arrival at the airport. But warm welcome from hotel staff made me feel home immediately. They are all friendly and attentive. I would like to especially thank Anna for her help during my stay!
There are various comments about rooms but I was perfectly satisfied with the villa I checked in - very clean, spacious and easy access to the restaurants and pool side.
I will definitely choose here again when I come back to Siem Reap.

• Stayed December 2013
Mexico City, Mexico
Reviewed December 29, 2013 via mobile

What a beautifull hotel. Surrounded by nature in a tipical Khmer arquitecture. Small suites -cottage type where you can see the beautifull pool.
Service is spotless, lunch is very good. Lot of possibilities at breakfast ( though I have not found what I really could have liked).

Stayed December 2013
1 Thank mimiMexico_df
Taby, Sweden
Reviewed December 27, 2013

This was a place exceeding our expectations by all means. Especially the way everyone in the staff greeted us. They were all keen to hear about were we came from, what we had experienced and especially if they could do anything to make our staying more comfortable. The villas are spacious and comfortable. The pool area might look small but it was no problem to have sunbeds. The garden with the canals are very well maintained and invites you to stroll around and look at all the orchids, trees and the fish. The restaurant is beautifully situated in the middle of everything and serves a rich, varied, breakfast. The american pancakes was a favorite.
The only disturbing things were that some constructions were made on a new building next to the restaurant (soon completed) and some noise from trolleys on the road outside the villa early in the morning.

Room Tip: The rooms with pool view might be disturbed by dinner buffet at pool side (several times a week). Co...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank matte65
phuket
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Sometimes the fate does things right. I selected mysterious hotel on latestays.com to get 5 stars hotel at discounted price .So when I knew it was the sokhalay. regarding posts on tripadvisor ,I was really.anxious until my arrival. This hotel is superb. Rooms are a copy of traditional teck house of all cambodia region. The breakfast is various ,including fresh juice and local fruits . cheese,chinese ,indian,food is available in quantity. You eat along a canal full of Lotus and flowers . Some will say Hotel is too far from angkor but it is alos very close of airport . So if you have to get an early flight, it is much better . Anyway no Hotel close of angkor wat ,minimum 10mn to reach the historic site. So you wil have to get a taxi or local triporter available at hotel for 15 usd to go there. Some bicycles are available to reach your room as electric buggy car.Spa is also fantastic with an internal swimming pool Great Hotel, great personnel,beautiful brand new rooms ....I will return there next time.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jeanp22002
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed December 22, 2013

I was torn, I really expected to love this hotel. The airport pick up was great, the staff that came to pick us up was perfectly nice, though they seemed eager to sell us some tour packages. Upon arriving in the hotel lobby (4pm), there were no lights, it was dark, felt completely depressing. When we got to our villa the room was also dark. So dark it felt claustrophobic, and the room is actually a nice size. All the doors and windows were closed, and you can't really open them, because then you lose all privacy being on the ground floor. The few lights in the room were also really dim yellowish lights. There are no lights over the luggage shelf, so you can't see the content of your luggage well, there are no where in the room where there is bright enough light for a girl can put on her make-up or even see her outfit well. I understand electricity is precious and expensive in Cambodia, but I think a few LED or energy efficient lights will solve the problem. Anyway we requested a room change to see if another room will have better lights. This they were helpful with, they took us to see another villa on the 2nd floor. The room was just as dark, but since it was on the second door, we could at least open the door and windows to get some natural light, though still dark, it felt much more comfortable. Later that night when it came to the shower, we found the bathtub hard to enter. The edge of the tub is very high, so for a short person like me (5'3") had real problem crossing into the tub. The edge of the tubs were also covered in black mold/mildew. The bathtub is very slippery so they gave you an anti-slip mat. Upon rolling it out we got another scare, that thing is also covered in black mold/mildew, scared, I picked up and the other side with the suction cup was even worst. This was absolutely DISGUSTING!!!!!!! Another place (that we could see) that's covered with mold, was the laundry basket in the bathroom. How can we feel comfortable throwing the towels and clothes in there? One more thing with the room, I don't think they vacuum or mop the floor often. I walked bare feet for a bit and my feet was covered with dust. The beds are also hard. I know they have a lot of Asian guests so maybe that's what they are used to. However, I think for people used to western standards it's like sleeping on a wooden board.

Other problems, and a major one for me, as I often has to work even when on vacation, is the wi-fi connection was horrible. The signal in our room was weak, and the last 2 nights we were there I had no connection what so ever, and the front desk said they couldn't help. At night, they also have a band playing by the pool, and even though we had a garden room on the outer rim, we could still hear it well, and it was annoying. It went on beyond 10pm, sight-seeing in Angkor Wat requires you to wake up early and I can't imagine some people, especially families going to bed late. Also there was construction going on by the pool all day and night. Laying by the pool during the day was also extremely irritating.

As for the breakfast, it was nice. The selection was good, and the pho/noodle station was our favorite. However, there's still much room for improvement: better cheese selection is much needed, what's called "pork sausage" are actually tiny hot dog links, and the baked beans are not cooked through (crunchy beans, yuck!). Also they ran out of maple syrup so all they had for waffles and pancakes were honey, which simply doesn't work.... Oh if you can help it, don't go there before 8am, before that time the place is packed with Asian tour groups and it's a mad house.

The staff were mostly great. The few problems we had were with the front desk, it seemed every time we called or went to the desk, the first person who responded spoke very little English. We always had to wait for another person who spoke better English to show up. Also, since our villa isn't too far to the entrance we decided to walk out ourselves most days, however, several times the golf carts passed us and they never had the sensibility to stop and ask us if we would like a ride. This is something they can easily train their staff on.

All in all, the grounds were nice, the staff friendly and does try to help, but the quality of the villa rooms were less than 3 stars for me. I will not stay here again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lcacds
UK
Reviewed December 22, 2013

Stayed here for 2 days and it was wonderful and luxurious.

Hotel staff we're very friendly and helped me organise the million and one things i needed to do with ease. Most importantly - organising a private tour to the temples with the hotel tuk tuk driver. We raced down there for sunset (if you buy your ticket that evening, you get to see the sunset and also go the next day for a full day.) Cost $10 to do the sunset.

I left at 5am for the sunrise and the hotel organised 2 boxes of breakfast for me (croissants, cakes, fresh fruit etc.) There are golf buggies to take you from the reception to the room and vice versa, Just call reception to arrange. I also had a the 4 hands massage which was the best massage I have ever had. HEAVEN!!!

All in all a luxury stay, great staff and beautiful hotel. It would cost you $3 to go into the main town as there's nothing really outside of the hotel. If you need to go to the airport or catch a bus - allow ample time as traffic is murder!!

Room Tip: Everything i lush tropical grounds, take a torch to get back to your room if you have poor sight, el...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo