“Perfect way to explore countryside Cambodja ”

Grasshopper Adventures
Siem Reap Countryside Bike Ride
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Grasshopper Adventures offers inspired bicycle adventures of the Siem Reap area and greater Cambodia. Our tours are achievable by all and allow you to not only see a side to the Angkor Temples that many do not, but also to connect with the charming, real Cambodia that lies beyond the temples themselves. Countryside Tours, Introductory Temple Tours and a full day tour to Beng Melea make up our most popular Siem Reap programs. Our tours are family friendly and as the only operator in Siem Reap with specialist children's cycling equipment, we offer a safe and professional experience that families of all ages can enjoy.
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Absolutley loved the half day tour of countryside Cambodja! The guide was charming and had a lot of knowledge about the country and area. The roads and path we travelled was just adoring and a lot of the time it felt like we where in someones home kind of. I don't think I saw another tourist throught out the journey. Absolutley perfect and would recommend to everybody!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,722)
All reviews
in 43 reviews
"rice paddies"
in 42 reviews

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Bikes were excellent quality, our guide Lot was superb, paced just right for the 4 of us that day. (Plenty of water stops.)We did the short tour that in fact lasted all day. Although it was inevitable to meet the crowds at some point, we did not feel part of the main tourist herd. Definitely try this as an alternative way of exploring the temples.

Reviewed April 25, 2014

This review would have been of the four-star variety had I not been left behind at the end.

I did the one-day countryside bike tour, which was great! The guide knew tons about the area and with just four of us, he was very attentive and able to answer questions. The countryside was gorgeous and the route seemed perfect.

Be aware that it gets VERY hot, so have a hat and lots of water. In fact, they provide you with a water bottle to borrow.

The only thing I wasn't happy about was that, nearing the end when we were finished with the stops along the way, my bike chain came off and I was a bit stranded. I tried to continue peddling, but wasn't making much headway. Eventually, I was completely left behind.

In the future, the guide should be sure to continually check to make sure everyone is accounted for. This is especially possible when the group is as small as mine was.

While we were still in the countryside when this happened, luckily, we were just outside of town and getting back to the town itself wasn't hard, but I had no idea where to go once there. I thought that eventually he would realize I wasn't a part of the group and come back, but that didn't happen. I yelled out for him a number of times, but he didn't hear me.

When I arrived back at the store, the guide was putting bikes away and nobody seemed all that concerned that I'd gone missing and wasn't with them when they got back. The guide did say that he sent someone on a motorbike to look, but that they couldn't find me. I guess they gave up after that.

To his credit he was very apologetic, but I wish instead they'd worked a bit harder to make sure I was "found."

Oh well. Probably wouldn't do another tour through them even though the tour itself was great.

3  Thank Michelle S
Reviewed April 24, 2014

Disclaimer: I didn't do a day trip, but the five day Slow road to Angkor tour. The trip started with a pickup from our Bangkok Hotel, a drive to Chanthaburi, then what was supposed to be a 200km ride, interspersed with driving, to Siem Reap. I say supposed to be because our group thought it would be fun to spend more time on the bikes, so it ended up being over 270kms. Lucky the guides were so accommodating!

The accommodation was great, and seemed to just get better and better each night. It was such a blessing to not have to worry about anything - meals, beds, pools, water, snacks, all needs were accommodated and, it felt, anticipated by our excellent tour leaders.

Our guide in Thailand was great, but special mention must be made of the Cambodian team. Art and Tee, our riders, were extraordinary. Faced with a group who really liked cycling, they didn't complain at all when we begged to extend the riding component... We added an extra 73kms to the cycling component, all of it in Cambodia! I know Art thought we were completely crazy, and perhaps he is right, but he never once complained and indulged us at every turn. Tee was a wonder to talk to, a very intelligent man with a lovely nature. We also just loved our drivers, Ded and (? I'm so sorry but I've forgotten his name!). They were always ready with cold water (even pouring it all over us when we looked like we needed it, which we did), snacks, a laugh and a smile. They did a superb job of guiding us through the traffic of downtown Siem Reap when we insisted on riding back from the temples.

I really cannot heap enough praise on our guides and the Grasshopper Adventures organisation. Thank you so much for this fantastic experience - each member of the group agreed we'd be looking into another Grasshopper tour soon!

1  Thank Phairy