“Wow, such a great experience”

Traditional Khmer Dancing at Cambodian Children's House of Peace
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Wow, such a great experience”
Reviewed May 1, 2014

This is a great way to see traditional Khmer dancing, it was such a welcoming and fun night. Students play their music live and the dancing is great. At the end they invite you for photos and for a little dance party with the kids. One of our highlights of our one months traveling. Highly Recommend!

Visited April 2014
2 Thank Beeancalulu

Chicago, Illinois
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Really Magical Kids”
Reviewed April 27, 2014 via mobile

Very much enjoyed the dancing by the students. Most of the "children" are teenagers, and they do the majority of the dancing, but some are as small as maybe 5 or 6. They really enjoyed taking pictures of the older children dancing, and two of them chose to cuddle up right next to me during the performance, the smallest one very shyly playing with my iPhone as I took pictures. The children will come and practice their English by talking to you before the performance, and at the end, they "teach" the tourists to dance, which is hilarious. Not that many people seem to know about this-I had to show my tuk tuk driver the map on their web site to get him to take me there, but once I did, no problem. Glad to have experienced this. Do go and donate-they are doing good work and depend on your generosity.

4 Thank Erin M
Sydney, Australia
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Nice Sunday evening in Siem Reap”
Reviewed April 23, 2014

A short trip from the city to arrive at the school, get introduced to one of the children teacher around a tea and some banana chips. The dancing was good, costumes amazing and we even got an introduction before each dance from one of the student in English! The kids are great and enthousiasms! The evening is free but you can buy tshirt or book to support the school (which doesnt receive any help from the government).

Visited April 2014
3 Thank FloTheDancer
Bali
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“delightful evening supporting arts and education”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The Santepheap Sunday performance is very worthwhile and this group has become my favorite dance and music group in Siem Reap. It is wonderful to support the revival of performing arts and these children and young adults really love sharing their culture. The experience is sincere and genuine along with a very welcoming atmosphere. It's a delightful experience which also brings awareness to the desire young Cambodians have to access education. There is no pressure for donations but know you would be supporting a good cause. There are campaigns discouraging "orphanage tourism" in Cambodia, but Santepheap is a great organization giving less privileged youth wonderful opportunity. I feel these children will become the future citizens Cambodia and our world needs.

Visited January 2014
3 Thank AlamAsia
Brisbane, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Khmer dancing a treat!”
Reviewed April 13, 2014

We were looking for somewhere to watch Khmer dancing when I came across a review for The House of Peace. This was a delightful night out. The children were very welcoming and their performances were first rate. Before each performance one of the students told us a little bit about themselves and introduced the dance. We took some school supplies with us and I recommend you look up their website and see what resources they need before going. They are very grateful for any donations. It would be a great place to volunteer as they love the opportunity to practise their English. That said, their English is very good. I took a photo of the map on my iPad so the tuk tuk driver could find it because it can be difficult to find. We went in February this year and would go back again in a heartbeat.

Visited February 2014
3 Thank Judy S

Travelers who viewed Traditional Khmer Dancing at Cambodian Children's House of Peace also viewed

Siem Reap, Siem Reap Province

Been to Traditional Khmer Dancing at Cambodian Children's House of Peace? Share your experiences!