“Great food, could do better in some other aspects”

Under Construction Bar & Restaurant
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: CLOSED!!!!!!
Reviewed August 22, 2011

My partner and I came here yesterday lunch time. There was only us two amongst another table of 4 diners.

Firstly, I wanted a Khmer dish but was told it was the Khmer chef's day off. Er, ok.... Then I was brought a beer which had a load of dirt round the can (which they changed once I had pointed it out).

Despite there being hardly anyone there at that time, the food took a long time to come. I really don't mind waiting for food if it's good but it was a little long considering there was hardly anyone there. I mean at least half an hour.

My green curry came first (despite me thinking that it is the one that takes the longest to make..) and then my partner's noodles came some time after that, followed by our fish cakes some time after that.

My partner ordered Pat Si Ew because it was advertised as having flat noodles (as it does! Having had it in Thailand I thought the same). He likes flat noodles better than other type of noodles. When it came though the noodles were like vermicelli. I told the waiter that these were not flat noodles but he said they were. But of course they are not, flat noodles are the big wide noodles! Very odd considering they have a Thai chef and you can easily obtain flat noodles in town...

Having said all of that, the food was really delicious! My green curry was just how I like it - spicy and a bit sweet. I could not have had a better one, even if I was in Thailand. My partner's noodles were also very tasty, and the fish cakes were also very good. The portion sizes were very good too.

It's just a shame that the other elements were not as good as the food. My partner said he would be put off going again, but I would not and would definitely go back for more Thai food but I would be prepared to wait.

There are newer reviews for Under Construction Bar & Restaurant

Reviewed July 24, 2011

A sure sign of good place, when you have both locals and foreigners eating there.

Reviewed July 24, 2011

I can happily recomend Phad Thai and the Khemer dish Chicken with lime and blackpepper sauce. Good portions and prices. Creative atmosphere with friendly staff and sotf music. ENJOY

Reviewed July 21, 2011

Just a walk or tuk tuk ride not far accross the river from Pub street area is Madam Beer Garden Under Construction which has a selection of Thai food to choose from on their menu. Prices are affordable and value for money. The decor of the restaurant is ever changing and interesting. Great casual atmosphere and friendly staff. As for the food, my favourite is the vegetarian fried spring rolls, fish cakes and of course the duck and brocoli in oyster sauce... Enjoy!

Reviewed July 20, 2011

As a Siem Reap resident I do a large choice of restaurant but actually I am not so interested in the "tourist type" restaurant around the old market. There is some good ones but I rather go out of the way a little and have chances to meet other expats while having a good diner.
I have discovered this place 2 months ago and have been many times since. Original Thai food made by a Thai chef and excellent prices as well. The place is artsy looking and quite fun, the music is good and owners very nice open people.
I would recommend the Pad Thai, one of the specialty of the house and also some delicious sweet chicken (forgot the name of the dish) with herbs.
Try it and you will not be disappointed...!