“Home at Hariharalaya”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Siem Reap
Hariharalaya Meditation Retreat Centre
Reviewed October 20, 2012

My time at Hariharalaya was one of the most rewarding, expanding, valuable experiences I've ever had. The location, just a 30 minute tuk tuk ride from Siem Reap, is perfect. Tucked amidst local homes in a genuine Cambodian village, Hariharalaya offers the opportunity to experience the reality of country life in Cambodia. There are several temples and a local market nearby that you can explore during your down time. The food is AMAZING...which made the three day cleanse I did a bit of an extra challenge, but absolutely worth it. After two weeks spent practicing yoga and meditation, eating vegan, cleansing, discussing, dancing, and growing alongside fellow travelers, I felt renewed. Joel and the Khmer staff are wonderful. They make you feel at home immediately. Joel is incredibly patient and generous with his abundant knowledge. On top of all of the wonderful energy and life of Hariharalaya, I was fortunate to meet and connect with many other travelers during my stay. Hariharalaya felt like home and I cannot wait to go back.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo

Reviewed September 25, 2012

After volunteering in Cambodia for 2 months I decided to end my time there by spending 4 days at Hariharalaya. Aside from my volunteering experience, this was the next best part of my time in Cambodia. I was welcomed with open arms by a community of individuals who had so much love to share. While I was there I did a 3 day coconut water detox and I cannot say enough about how incredible I felt throughout the entire process. I had the freedom to explore many creative outlets and this was the perfect place for it. On my first meditation night, I joined 3 others as we were guided through a walking meditation around the grounds. As someone who has really not meditated very much, I loved how every night the meditation guidance was very different. Although the yoga and meditation are optional, I could not have imagined my time there without them. The centre is set in the beautiful countryside of Siem Reap that I miss so very much. This place is the real deal. Not to mention, compared to some of the other places offering similar programs in South East Asia, Hariharalaya is unbelievably easy on the wallet. The one day that I did eat the food, it was unbelievable. I am anxiously awaiting the recipe book to hit the internet! If you are looking for a place to relax, learn, teach, inspire, interact, detox, dance, play, and just become alive, get yourself over there soon!

Room Tip: Expect some critters because you are in the countryside after all. If you are a very light sleeper...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Emi_Har
Reviewed August 31, 2012

What a way to totally relaaaaaax.........Hariharalaya has everything I need for the perfect getaway. This is a place where you can really find yourself, either with expert guidance or on your own at your own pace. I admire Joel for his determination to promote a holistic way of life based on meditation, yoga, vegan food and the peaceful surroundings. The garden is an absolute delight, with an abundance of fruit trees, veges and herbs - an edible and healing garden continually evolving. I like the choice of accommodation and prices to suit; little nooks to enjoy some 'me time'; the winding paths through the gorgeous gardens; waking up to a sun-kissed field full of life and Khmer charm; meditating on sunset; relaxing waaay up in the tree house; cycling around the most beautiful village - Roluos; getting up early for the joys of the local market; mountains of books where you can really find yourself; the awesome staff; meeting like-minded and not so like-minded people from all walks of life..................a life changing experience for me in such a positive way. These experiences will stay with me forever, along with a new discipline of practicing yoga everyday (not so good with the meditation yet!!).

Room Tip: I've stayed in the dorm, a hut and rooms upstairs and can reccommend all three, depending on you...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank Lyn,Australia
Reviewed August 30, 2012

After being persuaded by a friend to stay for a few days at Hariharalaya i will admit I was less than convinced at first. i had just spent a week partying in Siem Reap and being a typical British male i was very much in the mood for more beer, meat and any other unhealthy diversions the universe wished to put in my path. However i promised my friend i would give it a bash and even promised that i would live as a vegan for three days! This was made much easier by the amazing vegan food on offer and the support of Yaz and Joel as well as my friend who had already been there for a week. The open and friendly atmosphere that permeates Hariharalaya made me feel more and more comfortable and the morning and evening group meditation and yoga sessions helped me to feel part of the group despite this not really being my thing at this point. Although only there for 3 days i felt more at ease with myself than i had ever done before. Since leaving in march i have continued with a veggie diet as well as meditation and yoga everyday. i now find myself in the best physical and mental shape of my life and can't wait to get back to Cambodia and Hariharalaya. Thank you all for a truly life changing experience and i hope to see you all again soon. if you have the chance to visit then please do, it will be an experience you never regret and will always remember.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Richard B
Reviewed August 23, 2012

In June 2012 i stayed for about 3 weeks at Hariharalaya and i've loved it. Great community. Vegetarian yammy food cooked by the friendly Khmer staff. Yaz was very welcoming and helped me as much as she could to make the most out of my stay. I did some workexchange and my work was about creativity which was perfect and unexpected! I did a 7 days coconut detox and it was also the good place to do it as i could manage easily to take some rest in between my work. The place was changing everyday thanks to all the people generous in ideas and time.
It was also great to have yoga and meditations, often from different teachers so everyday we could learn something new. Hariharalaya is definitely a nice place where everyone willing to grow, help or create will find some peace.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Pompomdom
Reviewed August 21, 2012

When I came across Hariharalaya, I was in desperate need of some soul searching. I regularly practice yoga but I needed guidance in my meditation. Not only did I love the yoga classes, but I surprisingly loved meditation as well! Ever since I left Hariharalaya, I brought many of my experiences back into my normal life in Hawaii.
While I was there too I decided to try a 3 day coconut cleanse. At first I thought it would be the most impossible task since I love food way too much. After the 3 days I felt like a was reborn! On my third day of detox I also decided to observe silence. Y plan was go big or go home; where else would I be able to detox in a peaceful retreat or observe silence on any given day?
I also received acupuncture on my last two days there from a volunteer who specializes in oriental medicine. The acupuncture was the icing on the cake for me! It just made the experience that much more amazing!
On a few side notes, the food was the most amazing fresh vegan food I have ever eaten in my life, which made the fasting a little more difficult. Also the big spiders took a little getting used to but eventually you realize they want nothing to do with you. You begin to enjoy nature alot more! So much that I took a mud bath in their natural mud pit with all of these frogs watching!
All and all Hariharalaya was more than I could ever expect! I had the most amazing life changing experience there! I would defiantly go back the next time I am in that area!

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank Aim4themoon1
Reviewed August 15, 2012

My first trip to Siem Reap, Cambodia and I am so pleased I discovered Hariharalaya! I highly recommend it as a place to stay. Even though 14km out of Siem Reap, it is a great area to experience the true feel of living in country Cambodia. The retreat itself was so relaxing, the food absolutely divine (I miss it) and the people so warm and friendly.

I learned so much during my stay, including how to do deep stomach massage and hands on healing in a group. The yoga and meditation practices take place in the open air with the gorgeous view of the farmland nearby. A great environment to heal and work on yourself.(I am scared of spiders, and there were many big ones around, but the relaxed environment helped me to overcome my fear. )

Most evenings there was loud music from nearby parties / funerals / weddings etc. A mixture of current and traditional music. Only one night I wished it could be turned off. But at the end of the day this is part of the Cambodian culture and becomes unnoticed after a while.

I stayed for 7 nights, and my husband and I shared the family hut. I will definitely go back for 2 to 3 weeks to have a longer retreat experience including the detox programs offered.

I left Hariharalaya feeling whole, with some new tools to enhance and better my life. Thank you Joel and Yaz for sharing your amazing haven with us all!

Room Tip: We stayed in a grass hut which was walking distance to the bathroom in a different building. We plan...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple