“Hidden gem in Seam Reap - well worth the effort to find!”
Review of Theam's House

Theam's House
Ranked #56 of 182 things to do in Siem Reap
Reviewed November 27, 2012

Just finishing our vacation in Siem Reap and felt compelled to share my experience at Theam's House....At the recommendation of other Trip Advisor reviewers, on our first full day in town, I asked our guide to take me to the main shop, just outside of the main area of Siem Reap. (According to the brochure in our hotel, there may be small outposts in a few of the hotels like the Sofitel and Amansara.) Even with the map provided, the driver had some difficulty locating the shop because the building is set back from the street and the sign is inside the main gate. (Look for the red painted gate with the red elephant - the store is behind this gate.)
Despite the challenge in locating Theam's House, once I set foot into the main building, I knew that it was worth the time and effort - and that I would be making many purchases! Right away, this store is different than most of the others that I had seen in town. The items are simple, quality-made, and unique. According to the store guide, who escorted us through the store and artisan rooms, all items are handmade by disadvantaged youth who have been trained in the various craft arts by the management. And there are so many beautiful works of art to see and choose from - lacquer paintings, regular paintings, Buddhas, elephant statues, scarfs, etc.!
I was so impressed with the quality of the items that I didn't hesitate to purchase several pieces, which are distinct and will always remind me of my journey to Cambodia. Prices may be slightly higher, but the quality received is more than worth it. And, items are available in all price ranges. I also appreciated that the store guide was present, but in no way intrusive or pushy. She let me select pieces on my own, but was always immediately available if I had questions. While prices are fixed, the store does accept Visa and MasterCard without any problem. (Previous reviewers had noted that the store was cash only.)
If you visit Siem Reap and are looking for quality, unique items to bring home either as gifts or momentos, you must make the trip to Theam's House. You will be happy that you did!

2  Thank Christine M
There are newer reviews for Theam's House

Reviewed November 2, 2012

If you are after souvenirs that are out of the ordinary you have to go. Yes they are a little more expensive, but it isn’t the usual Chinese made tat in the siem reap markets. I would recommend as I bought a wonderful elephant worth $24, but totally different from anything else you will see. Costs nothing to go, so check it out for yourself and you will see what I mean.

Reviewed October 3, 2012

The gallery and workshops are on the bottom floor of a lovely house set in beautiful gardens. The gallery is small, but filled with high quality interesting pieces. There are paintings, ceramics, wood carvings, and more. The prices are very reasonable. All the staff there are so friendly and helpful. I ended up wanting a few of the brightly coloured elephants, but discovered that they don't take credit card, and I had limited cash on me. They helpfully delivered everything to my hotel later that afternoon and I was able to pay then. Very handy. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Cortunefookie
Reviewed April 2, 2012

Loved the greeting by Maddy, the space, the house, the new paintings. I wish the large paintings would be la little more affordable! But I heard people fight to get them. Definitely visiting Theam's House next time I am in Siem Reap!

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Our guide hadn't even heard of this place, but I learned about it through Trip Adivsor. What a great find! If you like local arts and don't mind spending a bit more for quality work, then this is the place for you. We brought home several gifts for family, but wound up keeping the fun colored elephants for our own home. Theam's wife catered to our shopping, and explained the process of how the house works with the artists, and her husband's visions, and she was just delightful. They don't take credit card, so be prepared to take a lot of cash with you... you're going to spend it!