“I love Hak's house and hope to return!”

Hak's House Residence
Ranked #52 of 292 Specialty Lodging in Siem Reap
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I traveled to siam reap, Cambodia for 3 nights. We booked hak's house because it was affordable and did not have high expectations but I was so amazed by how pleasant my stay was!

- Hak is the most helpful person imaginable. He helped us plan our trip to Angkor wat and was constantly available to answer questions.

- the rooms are clean and comfortable! I stayed in a private room. My room was spacious, had a big tv and a really great ac system. The bathroom has good hot water. The bathrooms are always a little congested in southeast Asia but this was one of the better bathrooms.

- the food was great and afordable!

- the patio made for a fun laid back culture. It was easy to have a relaxed time and meet other travelers.

- water bottles available for purchase, free filtered water to refill, free breakfast and wifi.

Overall, I am obsessed with this place and my stay in cambodia was especially memorable because of Hak's house.

• Stayed: August 2012
There are newer reviews for Hak's House Residence

Reviewed August 25, 2012

Great little place a little out of town but it adds to the feeling your "not just another tourist". Rooms are large, clean and comfortable. Food is great but staff make the place. You feel as if you are staying with a group of friends. Rain the tuk tuk driver was amazing, if he is free use him, tons of knowledge on everything, knows everyone and is great to have a laugh with also.Try it you won't go wrong.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 22, 2012

We stayed at Hak's House for five nights in a double aircon room. The room had a few things missing from it, like a TV and soap in the bathroom (as advertised on Hak's website). It is also a bit grubby in places with rats droppings on several surfaces including the dado rail and bookcase in the dining/tv room.

Location in good, it is 10 minutes walk into town and a $1 tuktuk back at night. We had a very good dinner there one night, we ate out in Siem Reap's pub street all the other nights.

We booked the tuktuk to Angkor Watt through Hak and consider it was good value for money, Hak also booked the boat to Battambamg for us.

Hak himself is a very nice and accommadating person, who runs a pretty tight operation.

I am giving Hak's House 4/5 due mostly to Hak himself, if it was not for him it would get 2/5.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 21, 2012

Where to start: After confirming airport pickup, I arrived at midnight and no one was there. Ended up taking taxi down dark streets which was scary. Rooms were not that clean. Some huge spiders on the ceiling. The tuk tuk driver was very helpful which was the best service I got. I left for a day trip to Battambang and ended up staying the night since I arrived late. The next day came back and all my personal belongings which I had scattered around my room had been moved and room rented to someone else knowing fullwelll I was returning. After 5 days, it was time to get out of there! I wouldnt recommend it to anyone. As for the location, its a long walk to downtown unless you want to spend money each time you want to go anywhere.

Room Tip: Dont get a room there. You might find your stuff packed and moved to another room while you are out...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Edwin J
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Stayed in Haks house as a solo traveler for three nights in a twin private room as all the rest were occupied. Felt very comfortable with a satellite tv, fan and a private bathroom.. all these just for 6 US$. I can tell that this place was the best value for money compared to two other places i stayed in Siem Reap. It s not located in the center but this was not an issue. You can still walk or take a tuk tuk to pub street for 1-2 US$. Very safe and clean enough! Fair prices for the food served but not very big portions.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed in Haks house for a few months while working in Siem Reap and looking for an apartment to live in. It was recommended by a friend. I only planned to stay for a few days, but ended up staying a few months because Hak and his staff really made me feel at home. The room was basic, but exactly what you would expect from a guesthouse. It was clean, quiet and even had a TV and wi-fi in the room. The food was delicious and very reasonable, only a few dollars. In fact, I still go back sometimes just to eat. It's about 1 - 1.5km out of town, only a 15 minute walk, which is great because the guesthouse has a very rural feel about it. The rooms were very quiet at night and any minor problem was quickly fixed by Hak or his staff.

Whenever I have friends come to visit in Siem Reap I always book them a place at Haks House. I would highly recommend it!

Room Tip: Sit outside in the evenings, hak has created a pleasant atmosphere where people can talk and meet ea...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2012

Room was big and clean, price was great but seems that business is that good that Hak is not able to run everything by himself anymore.

There were some minor problems, a few of them, from the tuk tuk they forgot to call in the morning we were leaving although they assured us that they would to the water drainage not working very effectively in the shower.

On the plus side, Hak was friendly and accommodating and the food was great for the price (at least the red curry and the lok lak beef we had). The wifi worked great on the second floor and the TV even featured several english speaking channels which might come handy after a day roaming the temples. And Sin, our tuk tuk driver who works with/for Hak, was very helpful.

Room Tip: ask in advance for what you need- we asked for good wifi signal and we were given
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
#65 of 292 in Siem Reap
Funky Flashpacker
Funky Flashpacker
#6 of 292 in Siem Reap

Been to Hak's House Residence? Share your experiences!