“Excellent food - Unforgettable dinner”
Review of Cuisine Wat Damnak

Cuisine Wat Damnak
Ranked #25 of 955 Restaurants in Siem Reap
Cuisines: Cambodian
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed November 17, 2013

I enjoyed my evening at Cuisine Wat Damnak with my friends. There was plenty of choice of local dishe. We were impressive by the braised pork shank with star anise and fresh bamboo shoots. It's really really delicious. Menu is clear and well explained by the waiter. The wooden house with old furniture and lamps create a cosy atmosphere. If I were staying longer I would definitely return to Cuisine Wat Damnak. It's wonderful experience.

1  Thank Isabella L
Write a ReviewReviews (1,631)

Reviewed November 15, 2013

Wow. The food sensations to be experienced at this place are great. My husband and I each ordered the different degustation menus and shared. For $70 USD we had 2 glasses of wine and the 6 courses each. Savour the tastes and enjoy this place if you have the opportunity. Ambience is delightful and staff most attentive.

1  Thank Kerryn P
Reviewed November 13, 2013

I've had the good fortune to dine twice at Cuisine Wat Damnak. The first time was two years ago and I enjoyed it so much I was delighted to be able to dine there again in October this year. It was a special occasion this time and the venue, food and service were fitting for this significant birthday (one with a zero in the number ;-) and not mine) but don't wait for a special occasion, just go!
The restaurant concept of a changing menu each fortnight means the ingredients in the two set menus are in season and very fresh. The two set menus offer you the option of either five or six courses ($22 and $26 respectively) and present Khmer flavours with a twist. A pre dinner drink can also offer the same - I really enjoyed the Tamarind Collins, a variation on the classic Tom Collins.
We opted for the six courses, and loved each one. Portion sizes are just right, and if you'd like a longer rest between courses, just say so.
The setting is really very pleasant inside or outside in the garden. Tables aren't too close together and you can hear yourself think and have a conversation with the people you're dining with. The restaurant has a wine list, the service is very professional and the whole team made us feel very welcome. The birthday boy had smile on his face all evening :-)
A few extra tips: Remember to book ahead to make sure you have the opportunity to go and let them know if you have any dietary needs including if you're a vegetarian.

1  Thank Jane K
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Dined here late October so daresay the menu has changed a few times since then, but as per other reviews, there is always 2 degustation style menus on offer with 5 courses for US$22 or 6 courses for US$26. Obviously this is expensive by Cambodian standards but ludicrously priced for what you receive if you eat and reside in any western country. The food style is French/ International influenced Khmer cooking at its best. I asked if I could swap a few of the dishes off each menu around, as I was keen to try the Khmer frogmeat dish ( absolutely superb....don't be scared ) and this was not a problem for the serving staff. Everyone on the floor was professional and courteous, congratulations to the Owners for not only offering such technical and tasty dishes but also for establishing such a warm environment in the house and gardens to dine in.
Hope to return one day. Cheers.

1  Thank Wellmax229
Reviewed November 10, 2013

I've heard a lot about this place since it opened and was excited to give it a try. I was not disappointed as you will not be either. How long until Cusine Wat Damnak earns its first Michelin star?

Cambodia is currently a place of incredible value and Cusine Wat Damnak is no exception. Similar dining experiences elsewhere in the world would easily set you back 4-10 times the cost of the set menu option here and it certainly belongs in the same rarified air as other top restaurants around the world. I image that it will probably never get this type of credit given its location in relatively hard scrabble Cambodia but it will be a shame if it doesn't get credit for elevating Khmer cuisine and local products to new and interesting heights.

I would recommend eating here your first night in Siem Reap, your second night and your third night. And then go back on your fourth night if you are lucky enough to spend this much time here. One of the best dining experiences I've ever had and I will always be able to remember it exactly like I can with 4-5 other dining experiences that I've had in my life.